“A Nice Disney Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   22 Harbourside Lane, Hilton Head Island, Hilton Head, SC 29928   |
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Manassas, Virginia
“A Nice Disney Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friends and I stayed at Disney's Hilton Head resort on our way back north from our Florida DW trip. It was a nice stopover point between VA and FL, plus we'd never been before. Here's my thoughts:

The Staff: While a tad more laid back than the employee's you run into at the main Disney hub, this resort was still full of fresh and smiling faces. Particularly Mike the Pool Guy. He was extremely helpful in providing detailed information on Hilton Head island *and* Savannah. These guys were more than happy to carry on a conversation.

The Resort: The lodge and it's surrounding buildings sits at the edge of a marsh, which I really enjoyed. I'm a fan of Chincoteague, VA - and I *love* watching wildlife. The resort had a lovely boardwalk that took you on a path along the marsh, overlooking the sound. We saw a variety of birds. This is not your typical Disney resort, so don't come expecting to find Mickey everywhere you turn. What I liked so much about this place was the peacefulness about it. Our stay was during the off season, early November, and the resort was quiet. I will note, however, that the only building with elevators is the main lodge. The rest are accessible only by stairs, which wouldn't have been such a big deal had we not arrived broken and battered from a 4 day non-stop excursion to Disney World. Thankfully, they were accommodating and arranged a first floor 2-bedroom suite for us. I noticed most buildings only harbored two floors. There is also a nice heated pool on site, too. The hot-tub can comfortably fit a fairly large group. We enjoyed dipping our feet in and soaking in the warmth. The private beach house, located just over a mile from the resort, was really nice. I didn't mind the bus ride. I'm not sure the 10-5 hours are very accommodating, though. I imagine the limited hours angers a lot of beach-goers during the beach season. It was perfect for the cooler weather, though. Just enough time to go and enjoy a long walk on the beach in the afternoon, grab lunch at the onsite quick service, and catch a ride home.

The Room: The decor is very different from what I was expecting. Normally you find hidden Disney references all over the rooms, but not the case here. The theme of the rooms seems to be fishing and camping, which I thought was quite welcoming given the surroundings outside and the setup of the facilities. Our beds were comfy, everything was immaculate, and we even had a marvelous view of the marsh right outside our back deck. Each deck comes equipped with rocking chairs, a huge bonus! I enjoyed sitting out there in the mornings, sipping coffee and watching all of the birds and boaters float by along the marsh. Quite relaxing. What I *did not* like about the room is how incredibly thin the ceiling seemed to be. Or perhaps they need to consider doing a better job soundproofing. We could hear every thump, every shoe dropped, every suit case rolled, every noise made by the people up above us. Even their TV! It ruined the ambiance of the quiet resort a bit.

The Activities: The resort offered a decent amount of activities for both kids and adults. Some free, some that cost money. Personally, we didn't partake in any of them. We did, however, enjoy watching Disney's "Tangled" on a giant movie screen just a few steps away from our front door. Most evenings they hosted a campfire and movie. They also have game areas for horseshoes, cornhole, pingpong, foosball, etc. My friends and I had a great time playing pingpong for the first time in years!

All in all - we'd stay here again in the off season. I can only imagine what this place is like during the warmer months. With the thin walls, I'd rather hold out for the less crowded times of the year. We enjoyed ourselves immensely just walking around, relaxing in hammocks, and playing the onsite games.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room near the pool - the thin walls and loud noise echoing from the pool area ar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for 4 days and had a very relaxing time. Our two bedroom lodge was perfect and very spacious. Really nice for the kids. Bike riding, swimming, games, etc.. Room service is limited. We only had our trash and towels changed. Not sure if you can get complete room service. I do know that food services are not available in your room. Great golf courses.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We are DVC Members and we always enjoy coming to Disney's Hilton Head Resort. The rooms are large and clean. Most have nice views, especially those in building 31. The pool and access to the beach and ocean are great. A shuttle runs from the resort to the beach and its great having the beach house to relax in and get a drink or food without having to come all the way back to the resort. The only drawback is that the shuttle stops running at 5pm even during peak season. We really do love it and visit 2-3 times a year.

Room Tip: Building 31 has the best views. Top floors have less noise (otherwise, people, especially those with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

For a non-beachfront property, this resort has a lot to offer. The staff are very welcoming, the rooms are quite spacious, and the views are great (even on the marsh side).

Though our group didn't take advantage of all of the family activities offered by the resort, seven of us shared a two bedroom villa for less than the cost of two or three rooms elsewhere, which was perfect for our needs as we were there for a marine corps graduation at nearby Parris Island.

The resort also offers bicycle rentals, private beach access (although the beach is about a mile away,) a fishing pier, and a nice pool with water slide. You'll also find hammocks strung up throughout the property, which are quite comfortable. The villas have a full kitchen with pots and pans, and a washer and drier.

My only complaint is that wi-fi is not included, but I would recommend the resort for larger groups and large families.

• Stayed October 2012
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The end of a very long trip was capped off with our stay at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. Everything about our 2 day stay was simply wonderful. The fact that this resort is actually on a private island made it a quiet retreat from the world and the rigors of travel. Just to be able to sit on the porch in a rocking chair and enjoy the view and the quiet was wonderful. The rooms were large and well maintained with everything done to perfection "Disney' style. It truly was a "Magical' stay at a wonderful resort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We checked in at 2pm, We had a Grand Villa (1622) room was not quite ready so we went to get some groceries. Less then 30 Min later we got a call the room was ready.

We....4 adults and 2 kids...had a great time. My Wife and I are DVC members so we stay on points.

This was the most relaxing vacation Ive had in a LONG time.

I know some people come here expecting BOOM Mickey and Donald and WDW kinda stuff. This place is 100% opposite of that. Relaxing, relaxing, relaxing.

Wear bug spray, or jeans and long sleeve shirt at night...as you will get BIT!!

I wish they would have a bigger pool and a good restaurant right on property. Yes Im aware there are plenty of restaurants on Hilton Head and Savannah, but one here would be great!

The couches in the Grand Villa were very uncomfortable, but besides that all was great!

Room Tip: top floors less noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I wanted to sneak away for a weekend trip. We had some DVC points to kill so we chose this resort. I must say that I loved it. We chose a one bedroom villa. It is easily the most spacious of tall the resorts we have stayed at. The villa had the feeling of a lodge in the wilderness. The furnishings had a rustic feel. The villa had a massive deck off the living area to enjoy. The property was extremely clean and well maintained. The castmembers were top notch as they are at all things Disney. Try the breakfast at the counter service spot on property. I think it is called Tidewater. The portions are huge for the cost. Try the french toast. The property is set on the sound so the property provides transportation to and from the private beach house every thirty minutes. The beach house also has a counter service meal option. The best part of this property was how relaxing it was. We were there in off season so i am sure that helped. Go and relax.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort? Share your experiences!