“Water Quality a Real Issue” 3 of 5 stars

Main Street Inn & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 Main Street, Hilton Head, SC 29926   |
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Charleston, SC
“Water Quality a Real Issue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were in a Queen Room with no fireplace. It was a nice room but the water coming out of the tap was just plain foul and the bathroom had a very unpleasant smell. It had a very metallic taste and was slightly discolored. At first we thought this was how all of Hilton Head water was so we accepted it and used our bottled water to drink and brush our teeth.

Then next day we asked at the desk and the young lady said there was nothing she could do. After dining out we realized that other water on the Island was okay so the next day we again approached the desk to talk to a different young lady who agreed to move us midweek.

We moved into a Queen Fireplace which was very nice and thoroughly enjoyed the ambience of the fire as it was a bit chilly in the evenings. (The fireplaces are gas but manually turned on when a wall switch would make more sense). The water in this room was fine. The next day we talked to yet another person at the desk. (So far there had been a different person every day). This person finally admitted that they knew there was a water problem but that it was not limited to just one room, or the same room every time. With that information all I can say is if you experience funky water do NOT accept it and demand another room!

The breakfast served daily was good and had at least one item change daily. It certainly is a cost savings so you can use your money for dinner. Happy Hour from 5 to 7 got you 2 beers or glasses of wine. There were also cookies whcih were good but a strange sweet choice with alcohol. I would have much preferred fruit and cheese. There is a Harris Teeter within walking distance so we did get some cheese to enjoy with our drinks.

Each room has a small fridge but no microwave, which would be nice for reheating leftovers from dinner. Also, apparently only the King rooms have a jacuzzi but the bathroom is so large this property could easlly add those to every room.

If our room had a jacuzzi, a microwave, and there were no water problems, I would have rated this property as excellent.

Room Tip: If it is cold, get a fireplace!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago, Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked this property for my wife and kids. After reading the reviews online and seeing it is rated 4.5 stars, they were all excited and had high expectations. We stay in hotels 2 weekends a month, so we are very we have seen it all. The pictures and reviews are totally not what this property is. The rooms are minuscule, and very antiquated. Totally in need of a makeover. We requested a roll away which was impossible to open and too built for a doll not a human. The staff was receptive to this issue and offered a slightly larger room. In the morning everyone's back was hurting from the extremely hard bed. We went to breakfast only to find a poor selection of stale cereal and soil milk. One of my child's back was so sore from the bed that we checked out early and went home. From someone who has stayed at over 80 properties so far this year, this one ranked 80th in my book. The Best Western was even better.(69.00 a night). Again, the staff was very nice and receptive, but there isn't much they could due since the property itself if so poor. Any other property in Hilton Head probably better.

Room Tip: yes stay at any other hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Maiden, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our stay here was excellent in every way. It is so peacefull here and the staff is awesome. The rooms and facility are very clean. If you want to rest then this is the place to be. The full breakfast every morning along with the free social hour in the afternoon gives this place a nice touch of class! Main Street Cafe' is just across the street and the food there is incredible. The homemade desserts are to die for!!!

Room Tip: 3rd Floor is very nice and quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Impressed from the minute I pulled up. I realized it was off the beaten path and so quiet. I was there on business for one night but had a very restful evening. The flora and fauna was a relaxing view. The room with two double beds was plenty for one or two. Very spacious bathroom. Wonderful mattress. Wish I could have taken advantage of the spa. Small TV but it was all I needed.

Room Tip: I had a first floor patio. Easy access. I felt very secure and safe.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Perry, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Good:
Overall the property is nice. The staff was very friendly even at 2:30 am when we checked in! They were helpful in every way possible. It is a beautiful entrance to pull into and the garden is picture perfect as well. Very large bathroom. Coffee was excellent.

The Bad:
The outside hot tub and pool (or whatever they were called) was very small. As beautiful as the garden was, it was very small and once we went past a gazebo entrance there was nothing there but woods. The shower in the King suite was small, I guess due to the whirlpool tub, when taking a shower you can barely turn around and you are standing directly under a shower head that will not move. The breakfast was a full breakfast but not many selection and even at 7:30 am it was still stale tasting. The parking area was on gravel which just did not go with the building appearance.

The Ugly:
There was two parking areas and one one side by the woods there were pet food dishes so that animals could eat. Now I have pets of my own and love them but imagine coming back late and parking and having an animal shoot by after eating. That will scare the crap out of you especially since there is no lighting in the actual parking lot!! It surely freaked me out! Above the shower is a small entrance that reminds me of an attic entrance, each day in the shower there were black droppings that I am sure came from that entrance which can only mean one thing! The paint was chipping off the walls in both room as well as the furniture. The room was in serious need of dusting and as much as I paid for that room I would have expected more than a 13 inch box tv that you could barely see in the armoire. There was very little storage place for clothes. When I booked originally, I booked at double but the lady at the front desk suggested a king suite because it had a private balcony area with a firepit. And yes she said firepit!! There was not fire pit, just a small container on the table with a small opening that had a flame the size of a candle that could come out of it. The area was in serious need of cleaning and the vines and grass area back there was so bad that we were actually scared to go out there. The space is so small that I'd wish I had kept the double. To me, the king suite was not worth the money paid. The bed was HORRIBLE. Although the sheets were very clean, the pillows were flat and the bed mattresses were old and worn out and instead of replacing the mattresses, they bought one of those paddings to go on top of it but it did not cover the whole bed so it made the bed very lumpy and awful looking even when the bed was made.

Did I complain of this to the management? Some of it I did, some of it I did not because I travel enough to know that it would not help or get me my money back.

Will I stay again? No. This is not a resort, and the spa was not good at all. Although it was nice "overall" it should not cost as much as it does until they invest in several repairs. To each his or her own, but I would not recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Tucked away off Main Street, a short drive from Palmetto Dunes and equidistant from Caligny Plaza and the Tanger Outlets, this is Inn is perfectly positioned for all the fun activities Hilton Head has to offer. Main Street Cafe is just across the street and is also the most popular lunch spot among locals- featuring a Lobster Grilled Cheese and Lobster Salad Roll. Aside from the location, Main Street Inn has wonderful features that make its guests feel right at home. My boyfriend and I stay every time we are in the area, which is monthly. There is a large Southern-Style hot breakfast every morning with multiple dining areas that give the comfort of one's own kitchen. Additionally, a complimentary Happy Hour is served every day from 5-7 with a maximum of two generously poured wines or beer if you prefer, and fresh baked cookies. We are consistently impressed with the accommodating nature of the staff, and attention to detail with bookings and vacation questions.
As for the suites- there is not a bad room in the house! All suites are private and unique with gorgeous features. Beautiful beds, crisp duvets and sheets, Ipod Ihome outlets in every room, two plush robes, an armoire that holds hang-ups and a television, and a great French double-door marble floor bathroom. Courtyard and Pool views. The lap pool and hot tub are refreshing after a long day of work, or fresh from the beach. Come stay with us at the Main Street Inn! The value is unbeatable, (around $139 a night, and for a 4-star place you won't find much else under $200) and you'll have a lovely vacation experience.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house! All locations are private and unique with gorgeous features. Beautiful...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great small resort. Off the beaten trail for the tourists yet the central island location is perfect for those that want to relax and unwind in comfort. The breakfast is great for the first few days but the scrambled eggs get tiring after day 5. Happy hour with wine and beer complimentary is a great way to segue into the evening. We will definitely return here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Main Street Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!