“Highly Professional and Competent Captain” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 164 Activities in Hilton Head
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Tallboy Fishing Charters is owned and operated by Captain Richard Pollitzer, a native to Beaufort County who has been fishing the waters around Hilton Head his whole life. His fishing career began at age fifteen, and since then he has amassed a wealth of local knowledge that consistently provides a safe, productive, and memorable experience for his clients.
Columbus, Ohio
“Highly Professional and Competent Captain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went fishing with Captain Richard in early August. Richard is a very competent and enthusiastic fisherman. I have been on many charter fishing trips (20+ in Hilton Head alone), and would comfortably refer friends and contacts to Richard. He knows where to go, and energetically employs various strategies to nail down one that will work for the day. We had action all day, which, in my experience, is hard to pull off near shore in HHI during August. Fishing in HHI can be a challenge, so having the right guide is key. We will book a trip with Richard again if he's available. I also think Richard would be a great choice for a Cobia or Redfish trip during different times of the year.

Visited August 2013
Richard P, Owner at Tallboy Fishing Charters, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Answering questions doesn't bother me at all! It also shows that you are an inquisitive individual who wants to learn and understand new things and gain as much as you can from your experiences. I hope all of my customers feel comfortable to ask me anything . . . except for politics and religion . . . two things never to be discussed while fishing!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Highly Recommend Tallboy Fishing Charters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you're planning a fishing trip during your stay at HHI, I highly recommend Captain Richard and Tallboy Charters. It's a laid-back, easy going atmosphere from the start to finish. Captain Richard and his first-mate, Dave, will put you on huge fish and will ensure you have an amazing experience catching them. He has extensive knowledge of the area and waters and happily answered the 1000 questions I asked. His boat was very spacious for our 5-man group, and the amenities were superb. I will certainly make Tallboy Fishing Charters a regular part of my HHI vacation!

Visited August 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Dublin, Ireland
“Fishing with Tallboy Fishing Charters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went out fishing twice at the end of July 2013. One was a day trip, one was an evening trip. The evening trip (5.00-8.00pm) was super. We caught 3 sharks, lemon sharks of 170lbs & 140lbs and a black tip shark of 30lbs. We spent 30 mins going and coming so we got to fish for 2 hours.

The day trip was from 8.00am to 2.30pm. We spent two hours motoring, two hours catching bait fish and two hours fishing for Baracuda. We hooked two but both cut through the wire trace. On the day trip a deck hand did most of the fishing, handing the rod to us when the fish was hooked. I would prefer if all of the fishing was left to us.

Captain Richard is a good skipper, I would be happy to fish with him again when we return to Hilton Head.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Seneca, South Carolina
“Waste of 600$”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ever since i was a kid we have been fishing salt water with various captains across the coast. well this one was bad. we arrived at the docks and the first thing the captain said was well i think were gonna stay inland bc of the waves. Come on your boat is 31ft. When we booked we said we wanted to go to the reefs. not stay and shark fish and not catch anything. captain just wanted the easy way out.

Visited July 2013
Richard P, Owner at Tallboy Fishing Charters, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Man, it was indeed a tough day. The decision to stay inshore was one that I made for the comfort and safety of my crew and passengers which comes first regardless of how badly anybody wants to do any sort of fishing. With the wind at 20-25 knots and seas at 4-6 feet, I stand by my decision. I was up front of my intentions from the beginning of the charter evidenced by your review. If you were unhappy with staying inshore this should have been communicated to me prior to leaving the dock. That way we would have had the opportunity to cancel the trip in order to save you the agony of staying inshore and catching sharks (we actually caught three black tips which are delicious, hard fighting sharks), and me the hardship of responding to my first bad review.

As a charter captain, catching as many fish as possible and making my clients happy is of the utmost importance as evidenced by other reviewers. The importance of catching fish, however, does not (and never will) come before safety. While I do not doubt your experience, I am quite certain of mine after a lifetime of fishing in local waters. Anybody who has fished enough knows that the weather and the fish just don't cooperate sometimes. We do what we can with the conditions we have. We work hard to do the best job we can and catch as many fish as we can to make our customers happy. If I took the "easy way out" by not wanting to beat you, my crew and my boat up by pushing the envelope, then I am guilty as charged.

I am truly sorry that you were disappointed in your charter. Thanks for your business and for your review. It is an important one which illustrates an often overlooked fact in fishing: there are great days and bad ones and everything in between. The important part is to have fun, enjoy your time on the water, and come home safe.
North Royalton, Ohio
“Awesome Time - King Of Sting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our second trip to Hilton Head and the first with Tallboy. Having chartered the year before with another boat, Captain Richard was by far the better choice. He clearly has intentions for all on the boat to not only catch fish, but to have a good time doing it.
All the other boats were struggling that particular day and Captain Richard was setting more variations of baits, checking all depths and always having a small rod out there for the kids to stay interested. We ended up catching multiple sharks and bluefish, along with some great fighting stingrays that kept up your enthusiasm between keepers!
I plan on booking with him again this fall and next summer as well and would highly recommend him to anyone.