“Hilton Head at it's best” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 290 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and oil lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Beverly, MA
“Hilton Head at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the third review I have written about A Lowcountry Backyard and I hope I get to write 50 more. If you are on Hilton Head Island, you have to dine here. The owner, Dave, and his staff are consistently the best. The menu and restaurant are uniquely Hilton Head. I love the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus here. Since it is so hard to decide what to get, go at least 3-4 time in a week. And when you are done with your outstanding meal, order the home made banana pudding in a jar. All the desserts are homemade but the pudding is special. YUM!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tequesta, Florida
“A gem for a casual meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had finished playing golf in the sun but the Low Country Backyard was the perfect spot for a nice lunch. We loved the innovative menu including the Fried Green Tomato BLT and the Blackend Tofu Salad.
The staff was really great and we appreciated Laura's fine service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Visited again - this time for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have been here twice for dinner but never for breakfast. We came here on Saturday around 9 am and the place was quiet with only two other tables. My husband had the banana fosters pancakes and raved about it. He thought it would be too sweet but he said it was perfect.

Another great meal at Lowcountry Backyard

Visited May 2013
Columbus, OH
“Great brunch and gluten free options!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned from our first visit to A Lowcountry Backyard and it was better than we expected! My husband had the biscuits and sausage gravy with added scrambled eggs and he said it was delicious. Biscuits were very large and there were four of them. Gravy was loaded with large chunks of sausage. He was able to finish it all but he is a big eater. The portion is way too large for an average eater. I need to eat gluten free and had planned to only eat eggs--especially after the girl who answered the phone in the morning said she didn't know what gluten was. I picked the restaurant just so my husband could get the biscuits/gravy so I was fine eating plain eggs. When I informed our waitress about my food "allergy" (celiac isn't an allergy but it's just easier to explain), she said I could get plain scrambled eggs. The restaurant was busy--Sunday brunch--so we sat at the bar. Another waitress was pouring drinks and I asked her about the ingredients of the grits. I mentioned that they sounded gluten free and she said she knew they were gf because a new menu is coming out in two days and gf options are marked!!! I thought they were very good although very rich---I cleaned my plate.
Our bill was all of $15! In Hilton Head!!
Spent some time speaking with the owner, who makes the biscuits every morning. She is a nurse by training and is very aware of gluten. She mentioned that 90% of her soups are gf, as is the meatloaf sandwich without bread and the banana pudding without the wafer.
The actual restaurant is not very large and located between Target and Arrow Roads in the Village Exchange. No reservations and only one restroom but well worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Awesome Biscuits and Gravy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast this morning. Shrimp and grits were above average, grits were good, but being a southern boy from Mississippi, I would have preferred that they not be so "rich"', but that is just a matter of my taste. The dish was well prepared. . Shrimp had a strong "fishy" taste, but had large portion. The coffee was excellent and hot, as good as any coffee shop I have been to. The highlight of the meal was the biscuits and sausage gravy. It was 5 stars. Best I've ever had. The service was excellent, friendly and attentive.

All of the food was well prepared, served hot and was very good. I would definitely recommend, it is a great value and an excellent breakfast.

Visited May 2013