“Fishing trip-Morning adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 164 Activities in Hilton Head
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you're a beginner or an expert, let Capt. Brian Vaughn take you fishing and share his wealth of knowledge acquired from an entire life on and around Hilton Head Islands waters. Vaughn is dedicated to making every fishing trip a safe, productive and a memorable experience for his clients. For over twenty years, Capt. Vaughn has guided some of the best inshore, light tackle & fly fishing charters in South Carolina.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Wall Township, New Jersey
“Fishing trip-Morning adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was my son and daughters first experience fishing and to catch shark no less. I had to admit they were fun to catch. We landed between eight and ten total Capt Cory was very familiar with the local waters. He gave some good techniques in bringing them in. Just wish we would have caught edible fish. Non-the_less, the captain can't control whats on the line. It was a fun filled morning, saw lots of wildiife including dolphin and different types of birds. Would recommend and if I get back to Hilton Head will give him a shot again.

Visited August 2013
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I am glad you had a great trip and we look forward to fishing with you again if you are back to Hilton Head!

Marietta, Georgia
“GREAT morning on the water!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My sons and I went out with Brian early in the morning on July 27th. Fortunately there was a cloud cover, keeping the temperatures moderate and
the risk of sunburn low. The first thing we saw was his dolphin friend who escorted us out of the idle zone. We saw several other dolphins up close and
personal as well as we made our way to the area where Brian catches the bait for the morning. There wasn’t much small talk as Brian’s primary
focus was to help us catch fish, and lots of them. He was often in contact with other fishermen as they all worked together to figure out which places
were the best that morning.

After we caught enough bait to last the morning we went out to a couple of places to try our hand. We could tell there were fish where he took us, but nothing
seemed to be biting, so we moved. Finally we found a spot and caught a shark and then a redfish and then the floodgates opened and it seemed like for the
last hour and a half we were getting hits on the line every couple of minutes. I don’t remember how many fish we caught, but each of the three of us caught
multiple fish. In addition to the fishing, we saw some truly beautiful areas off the shore of Hilton Head and Dalfuskie.

The great weather, beautiful waters and Brian’s focus on making sure we caught some fish and had a good experience made for a GREAT first morning
of our vacation. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2013
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
It was Great to meet and fish with you all and I look forward to fishing with you again if you are back to Hilton Head.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great day on the water!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My dad, brother and I spent a great afternoon on the water with Captain Cory. This was our first time fishing with Off the Hook and I can confidently say that if you're looking for great inshore, light tackle fishing then look no further than Off the Hook on HHI.

Captain Cory was personable, knowledgable and just a fun guy to hang out with. We started out by catching baitfish and Captain Cory managed to bring in about 50 pogies with one cast of the net and then it was off to catch some bigger fish. The goal was to catch a tarpon and we did hook one, but it broke the line, nothing we could do about that. We caught multiple black tips and even a lemon shark. Captain Cory did a great job instructing my brother how to reel in the sharks as this was his first time fishing out on the water. At the end of the day Capt Cory even gave me the leftover baitfish to use in the surf for the rest of the week. I was also very impressed and pleased with how clean the boat was kept all throughout the day? Next year we will definitely be seeing you guys again, thanks guys!

Visited August 2013
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I am glad you had a great trip and we look forward to getting you all back out next year!

Captain Brian
“August 2013 family trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

On August 13th we booked our first trip with Brian. This was a family trip: my son-in-law, two granddaughters and myself. The weather was quite warm and somewhat windy, but Brian put us into a school of Jack and we hooked into a really big one. Must have fought it for 40 minutes up to the boat where it broke the line. No trophy fish after that but everyone had an awesome time after that catching a variety of fish. Granddaughters liked catching sharks after just watching shark week. We booked a second trip for a morning fish later in the week and looking forward to it. Brian, you were great with the kids.

Visited August 2013
I still wish we would have got that big jack but hopefully we will get him on our next trip together.
You were a awesome family and I look forward to fishing with you all again!

Columbia
“A little disappointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been going to HH for 22 years. We fish from the beach and catch alot of shark each year. I grew up fishing and so did my family. Our guide Corey was very nice and professional. We went out there thinking we would get to hold a fishing pole and fish. It turned out that was not the case at all. Our guide baited out hooks and cast them and left them in pole holders off the back of the boat. We were not allowed to hold the pole until something bit the line and actually ran with the hook. We were told the poles had circle hooks and the fish would hook themself. I understand the concept and fish with those hooks alot myself. I paid I believe with the tip $480 (4 hrs) and just was very disappointed I didn't get to "fish". Part of the fun of fishing (circle hook or not) is holding the pole. Don't mean to give you guys a bad review but I felt for the money I should have been able to truely fish. We only caught 4 small shark and I'm really not upset over that at all even though we catch them off the beach all the time. Nobody can control what you catch or if you will catch anything.

Visited August 2013
I am very sorry your trip was not what you had hoped for and you expected to hold the rod in your hand and "truly fish". All you had to do was ask the captain and he would have been glad to let you hold the rods especially if you were unhappy. I would not order and eat a steak from a restaurant that was cooked and still raw I would ask for it to be sent back.

I can assure you that the way we fish this time of year is just like every other charter boat on Hilton Head especially if you are anchored up and chumming which you were that day. Using circle hooks with the rod in the holder is by far the most productive and humane way to hook and catch fish. Fishing of the beach is not the same as in a charter boat with a professional captain that is trying his hardest to do what works and catches fish best. Once again I just wish you had asked you preferred to hold the rod and "fish" that may have changed your response and rating of this review.