“Generous Portions” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Mansfield, Georgia
“Generous Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Recommended by locals, we gave it a try for lunch. I had fried whiting, cole slaw, and sweet potato cornbread. The cornbread was a little too sweet for my taste, the homemade cole slaw was great, and the 3 whiting filets was too much for me to eat. The decor basic.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cedar Key, Florida
“Just as Great as Three Years Ago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had two terrific meals at Roastfish and Cornbread a week ago ..... stewed chicken and low country fish fry. Along with our entrees we had amazing veggies, sweet potato cornbread, hush puppies, lima beans with sun dried tomatoes and terrific greens. For dessert we had scrumptious bread pudding. Our waitress was terrific and seemed to handle the customers that were there between 4 and 5 on a Monday afternoon. Three years ago we were introduced to this restaurant by friends and loved it. We had the opportunity to be in Hilton Head again in November and made it a priority to eat at Roastfish and Cornbread again. If we lived in Hilton Head we'd become regulars at this very, very special place. We LOVE Roastfish and Cornbread.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Coral, Florida
“Fried scallops were best ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Ordered the seafood trio and all three items per the waitress had to be cooked in the same manner. Wanted clams, crab cake and scallops so worried about how the scallops would taste. They were the best fried scallops I can ever recall having - don't know how they were made but very light breading and very delicious. We also had fried oysters for an appetizer and they had very little breading and tasted great. The sweet potato cornbread was a real treat - close in taste to carrot cake. Every table in the restaurant was full by the time we left and the food coming from the kitchen looked very appetizing. This restaurant did have an extensive truly vegetarian menu. Based on my personal experience I would recommend this to friends visiting Hilton Head.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Elkton, Maryland
“The best meal we've had in a long time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Delicious, local; fish entree prepared perfectly and sides were all scrumptious. Had whole roast tilapia with collard greens, mushrooms and onions, corn bread (yum - different than ever had before and great), and hush puppies. Appetizer of fried green tomatoes. Took home bread pudding. Sweet tea was especially good and waitress kept our glasses full. Excellent! Maybe service a tad slow but don't go here for speed! Keb Mo music playing in background.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta
“Marginal food and horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I went to this restaurant based on the reviews, while on vacation recently. My friend and I went for dinner. Firstly, the outdoor seating is 2 rough looking picnic tables on the outside of the restaurant. Then we get inside and have the misfortune of being sat in the section that belonged to Star. She was the most miserable, rude individual that I've encountered in a long time at a restaurant. When I ordered tilapia as my entree I was told my Star that I obviously had never had fresh seafood before. I said that I had indeed had fresh seafood before and she was stunned, "Usually I'm such a good read of people. I just assumed since you ordered tilapia.....but tilapia is fine. I saw a special on tv about so I'll never eat it again, but ok." My friend ordered a trio special where you could pick any 3 of several choices of seafood for a platter. Downside: they all had to be cooked the same way. He got it anyway and didn't like it all. As for me, I decided to change my order altogether and just get fish tacos. I approached The lovely Star as she was entering our ticket and told her I would like to have the tacos instead. She glanced down at me, didn't say a word and walked away from me. I had no idea at that point what I would be getting. I did get the less than marginal tacos when the food came but she was not happy to give them to me. Although I will say the hush-puppies were good - but not good enough to put up with her. She came back to ask my friend if his meal was good and if he needed a refill and completely ignored me. We were both stunned at our treatment at this place and how different it was as opposed to what we had read and seen on the internet. DO NOT GO HERE PEOPLE. Save your money for a place with good food and good service!......AND A BAR.

• Visited October 2013