“No good!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Youngstown, Ohio
“No good!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We were told we got an ocean front and when we arrived we looked out on our balcony and seen an absolute horrible view of the street and parking lot. We weren't very happy about that. We stayed in unit A16. It wasn't very clean. The beds were HORRIBLE so we were going to sleep on the couch bed. Unfortunately the couch was so sunken in it had a big dip in the cushions and the bed that was in the couch was trash, it was nothing but springs and material. i think they left it there just to say they had a couch bed in this unit. When i opened the cupboard to get a coffee cup out there was a dead bug in it!! The shower in the one bathroom has bad water pressure and it leaks when you fill up the tub. The toilets were disgusting. They had grime on the sides of the bottom of them, i noticed when i laid my baby down to give him a bath. The bedroom with the two beds smelled so bad that we had to go buy spray for it. The dining room table has a phone book under the one leg holding the table up so its not uneven. Some of the dishes were dirty in our unit also. What got me the most though were the ants. They are EVERYWHERE!!!! I mean absolutely everywhere. It was terrible. Everywhere you looked! I wanted to go out by the lagoon and try to make my experience better and try to enjoy it, but i sat on the bench and had ants crawling on my feet. Even at the pool, i put my beach bag by my chair and when we got out of the pool ants were in our bag, on our towels, in the babies diapers it was rediculiois! They are on the walkways, in the sand on the beach, on the sidewalks...everywhere! I'm not at all a high maintenance person, when we got here i actually thought it was too fancy for us but being here and really seeing all these things made me so mad because you pay so much money to stay here and its a terrible experience. Also the staff sucks. They are very rude and unhelpful. When we got here and pulled in we had no clue where to go and we asked the man at the little place where you register and he was real crappy and pointed and said "oh, they stuck you over in the corner." Oh...thanks guy...way to make us feel welcomed and excited. Lol . Over all this was the most terrible vacation i have ever been on. I cant wait to leave. Were actually thinking of leaving early and going to Virginia beach. One more thing and I'm done complaining. If your not into golf or tennis, don't come here. That's pretty much all it is here. They have some water sports and tours you can go on but they're pretty expensive. They have shops that you can go to also but everything is over priced. (That's to be expected though.) If you want to go down to the lighthouse you have to pay to enter that part of the island and then you have to pay more to get in the lighthouse. The only good thing i can say about this island is its beautiful. The scenery is gorgeous. The palm trees and the ocean, absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't stay at this resort ever but if your into golf, tennis and riding bikes everywhere this is the place for you.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Chris R, General Manager at Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Honeymooners,

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your recent visit to Hilton Head. We strive to give every guest the experience of a life time and certainly a great visit. The resort does not actively manage the villa you rented and the cleaners and inspectors belong to an outside vendor. Our managed villas are held to a higher standard for both cleanliness and furnishings. They are inspected before and after every stay. Please if you consider coming back to Hilton Head, especially as the baby gets older and can enjoy the beach and playground, call the resort directly or visit our website and book one of our villas. You mention the beauty and natural feel of the island, along with this at times comes nature's less desirable creatures, ants. We strive to maintain a delicate harmony with nature and prefer not to over spray or treat too heavily for "pests". We do regularly treat the villas and strive to keep public areas clean and pest free, but as you attest nature is found everywhere here and we do our best to ensure you enjoy your time here. Please do not think to harshly of the ants and remember instead the beauty you found and your honeymoon memories.
Respectfully,
Chris Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Bonaire, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked this trip as a last minute Labor day weekend for my family. The condo was small, but for the money was an excellent value. My two girls enjoyed the bunk beds and the pool. It was walking distance to the beach. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our second stay at this resort, overall the resort and our stay was wonderful. I was a bit disappointed in the condition of our room compared to the one we were in last year. I changed rooms this year because the bed last year was not very comfortable. I chose the room next door (Admirals row #403) and truly expected the same high quality furnishings as I had the year prior in AR #402, which was not the case. To be fair, my concerns were mostly cosmetic. The laminate on the kitchen counter tops was peeling off on the side, so we put a band-aid on to keep it from getting worse. The knobs on the dresser drawers were loose and unable to be tightened, so we could only use a few of the pulls to get the drawers open. The carpet in the bedroom was very old and stained. The bed however was comfortable, and the unit was nicely supplied. The bathroom was in great shape, which is always important. So other than the issues I mentioned, which are easy fixes, the room was fine, and yes, we would stay there again. A very nice touch was a call from the cleaning service after we checked in asking whether everything was OK.

The location of our room and view from the balcony was perfect. We rented beach chairs each day and enjoyed the beach and all of the amenities available to us.

We were with our family, in all we had 4 units rented in Admirals Row. Everyone was extremely pleased with their units, two of which were 2-bedroom units. All in all, a great vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

No beach badges, no parking fee, no green flies, walk out the unit your in the water, ocean water is like a bath tub in August just like FLA without paying 2K to fly, one day drive from NJ, the units have kitchens and are updated so you don't have to run out to dinner every night - great spot stay near the ocean side - great restaurants all over the island - we will be back

• Stayed August 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in unit F-12. We did not expect it to be perfect or updated, but we did expect clean and functional. The smell in the rooms here is the nasty cleaning solution they spray Around and pretend to use. I know this because they sprayed it in the sink then left the bottle on the kitchen counter. The unit was never cleaned!!! It even had used sheets and dirty dishes! They said someone would come clean, but all they did was leave Lysol spray, the nasty cleaner, a garbage bag, and a dirty rag on the counter. The door was broken! It was open when we arrived; not just unlocked, but open! I called about this at the same time as the filth. The front desk said, "We don't manage those, you will have to call someone else.", and she hung up! She could have at least been nice about it! My family ended up getting suck in the room because the door was broken. People from the surrounding rooms had to bust the door down. I do know that this unit is not owned by resort so the repair issues (many more) have nothing to do with the resort. The cleaning staff/ housekeeping is the resorts! They should really work on that. The playground is over infested with ants! The equipment is covered! You can not walk a foot in any direction without stepping on an ant hill. The ground in this play area is sand over dirt and grass. We received a fed ex package while we were here and we were told they left us a message that it arrived however the phone was broken so the message was not received, may I recommend you post a note on the door the way you do if someone leaves a towel on the balcony at 1:00am? (yes this is what time the notice was posted, they put the time on it). The beach bar closes at 7:00pm! Really? Why? It would be nicer for your guests if it was open until sunset or maybe 30 minutes after the pool closes it would probably make more money that way. I did notice they share staff with all of their bar/ restaurants. The staff at the bars, restaurants, and the pool were very nice. This resort is very pretty outside of the rooms and the proximity to the beach is great! My recommendation to this resort is to improve and inspect their cleaning staff, fix the playground, work on communication, and coach their front desk staff.

• Stayed August 2014
Tn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We recently stayed in this condo and did so because it was oceanfront.That is the only good thing we have to say about this unit.No dishwasher ladies and no oven either unless you call a toaster oven one.Both ceiling fans didn't work.Tub/shower combo popped and snapped anytime you moved while showering.Sliding screen door off the hinges on balcony.Dirty carpet in the bedroom and neither closet in there had doors on them.Indoor/outdoor carpet on balcony in bad shape but went very well with the cheap plastic table.Two huge dead water bugs on the kitchen floor.It had two small bunks in the hallway and on the top one I found a washcloth with 5 raw eggs rolled up in it.Good thing no one in our lot was sleeping there.So disappointed and will never return.Need I say more?

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed from 8/15-8/17/14. The Admiral's Cove beachfront room (we paid extra for) had a great view. The bedroom was EXTREMELY small. To get around the bed you had to shuffle sideways. The place smelled old and musty. The furniture was old. Refrigerator was old. Stove was old. Huge cockroach and other bugs. When I complained to the desk staff they were nonchalant about it and said they would spray-again! Very noisy-the window in the (tiny) master bedroom faced the main hallway for the building so every time someone walked by talking or just walking on the noisy steps or hallway you get woken up. If someone sat on the balcony adjacent talking (mostly loudly) you got woken up. Horrid bed-all plastic cover and miserable to sleep on. My husband hung his polo shirt over the balcony dust to air out for a short while and we got a note on our door (and several phone calls but we didn't answer) complaining about this. The maid knocked on the door at 9:45a even though check out wasn't until 10a. Don't know why they need so much time to clean if they don't get rid of the roaches. Towels are rough and cheap. Poorly maintained property-peeling paint. Floor (linoleum!) in bathroom was gouged, tub was cheap plastic and discolored. Small, cheap TV that you could barely see from the couch. Tacky. YUCK. NOT WORTH THE MONEY-even if you get a discount. $55 cleaning fee but they leave the roaches. $25 reservation fee-the first reservation was cancelled 4 days ago yet they charged my account and still have not credited it even thought they said they did-now I have to call again. $500 for 2 nites!! I should have spent it at a luxury hotel that was worth it. DON'T STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Pick a different place to stay! ANYWHERE else is better.