“Gorgeous Hotel :)” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Massapequa, New York
“Gorgeous Hotel :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Had a great stay from 9/14/14-9/19/14. Hilton Head itself is just beautiful and very relaxing. The resort is set back through a beautiful golf course making it feel very private and intimate. Krysten at check in was so sweet & even upgraded us to an ocean view room on the 4th floor (5th floor is the highest) The room was nicely decorated, very clean, and the view was great. Maid service was very accommodating & would even ask us what time was best for them to come back if we were sleeping in. We ate lunch by the pool basically everyday & I was impressed with the menu, lots of variety. I found the Lunch/breakfast prices to be fair being that the quality of food was excellent. The cafe was convenient & carried Starbucks products. We had dinner at Carolina Cafe which I found to be very good, but pretty expensive. The service was excellent but I don't think the dinner menu choices were as great as the lunch choices throughout the hotel. The beach on the property is beautiful, large and was pretty empty. You can rent beach chairs through the westin which you carry yourself for about $8 a chair, or rent from a company on the beach for $32 dollars a day which are already set up with an umbrella. I did not really mind this although I can see why people would complain about it. I really do not have a bad thing to say about the hotel. Plenty of parking, and found the parking garage to be the easiest option. Every staff member I came in contact with was lovely. I did see the bugs outside at night, but I wouldn't call them roaches. I do not know what they were, but I never saw one inside so I wouldn't let that stop me from returning to the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor has better views
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I reserved the Presidential suite, 1500$ night. Usually when you reserve this type of room, you're greeted with snacks, or a personal card of some sort. We got nothing extra here, just the usual 2 bottles of water. Our room had a cockroach problem and geckos as well! This is a big problem and needs to be addressed. The attitudes of the staff around the hotel is lacking. I blame a lack of good management. This place has potential, with a great name behind it. It just didn't deliver. There are plenty of fine hotels around Hilton Head and the Westin is not one of them!

Room Tip: I'd stay beach side, as the parking lot is well lit and bright.
Green Features: They did have recycling options available. Don't really know what else they implemented. I was too busy killing cockroaches in my room!
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We were travelling back home from NC and stopping at some places along the way. We decided to spend a night in Hilton Head and used hotwire to find a room. It got us a room at the Westin and we were in for a treat! The service was just what you would expect at the Westin. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful from the time we entered until we left. We were in a room overlooking the pool/ocean. The scenery there was absolutely beautiful. Rooms were clean and the heavenly beds were just as advertised. We ate at the restaurant Oceans on property, service there was excellent as well, and the food was very good as well, although we did enjoy some of the food off property a bit better but it was very convenient. Not bad at all, just not our favorite. I think our only complaint if we had one is that we reserved for only one night. If you get a chance to stay here do it, it is definitely worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I just returned home yesterday from a wonderful 4-day, 3-night stay here to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. We have not visited Hilton Head Island for the past 12 years and I was looking for another place to stay as we were at another hotel before. I had a hard time choosing between the Westin and the Sonesta Resort but I made my decision based on the TripAdvisor reviews, especially the ones mentioning it was best for couples. Boy, were they ever right!! This place is beautiful and all staff from the front desk to the wait staff and even the housekeepers were very friendly and greeted you everywhere we went. I am especially thankful to Krisztina at the front desk who sent my wife and I a bucket of champagne with two glasses and a wonderful welcome card. That was a great surprise! This resort has ample amenities and a large pool area (three pools and a Jacuzzi) with lots of deck chairs. The lobby and common areas were huge and have to admit they have the longest hallways I have ever seen! We stayed in Room 5024 with a King bed and Ocean-view which was great. We saw many couples and a few families with kids. Many people brought along their pets as well. We ate from the breakfast buffet one day and one dinner at Carolina Cafe and the food was good, although a little pricey ($21.99 per person for the breakfast buffet alone). Getting snacks from either Ingredients or the Resort Shop was very convenient. The woman at the concierge gave us a wonderful suggestion for lunch by going to Skull Craft Boathouse - that was an excellent choice. The only small complaint I would have is their policy of only having one device in the room on the complimentary internet. You have to pay more money for adding other devices, but it is what it is. Overall my wife and I had a great time and we definitely will make the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort and Spa our new "home away from home!"

Piedmont, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First and foremost, I would likely stay here again. This place is beautiful and ALL the staff members I dealt with were quite congenial.
Using TripAdvisor and a couple of other sources, my wife and I chose this location for our first visit to HHI because it looked like it offered us one of the better chances on the island of getting an ocean view from our room, something that is very important to us. We were not disappointed with the view from our room, although none of their rooms are traditional ocean front rooms. Even the rooms closest to the ocean are still a considerable distance from the shore as one can easily see from any aerial views of this location. As a result, all other rooms in the resort have a limited view of the ocean, if any at all.
I suggest the use of a good GPS to find the resort for the first time. It is tucked way back off the main roads with several turns at poorly marked locations. Once you find it, you will love the beautiful surroundings you find. The entire property is beautifully decorated and appointed.
The first contact you have will be the gentlemen just outside the main entrance who handle baggage, valet parking, and just about any other questions you wish to ask. They are super friendly and always present. There are no luggage carts for personal use. Grab a few bucks out of your pocket and let the friendly luggage handlers assist you unloading your car.
Our room was beautifully decorated. A recent remodel has the interior and exterior of this entire property looking just short of awesome. My wife and I loved our room. Everything looked new and very modern. Reading lights built into the headboard came in handy as did the super comfortable bedding. The bathroom was top notch with lots of small amenities. Plenty of soap, shampoo, mouthwash, and nice thick towels were available. One nice bath robe was also present - not sure why only one - I've never encountered that before.The water is very soft, leaving your skin feeling slick long after you have rinsed. The heavenly shower doesn't quite deserve a name like that but it was indeed nice with a large shower head and a removable wand with a small shower head attached. The shower/tub was large enough to give you plenty of room to shower without being up against the walls or shower curtain. The top of the tub was framed with a material that looked like marble and it had a sharp edge around its entirety. This surprised me because with the soft water making the tub bottom very slick at times, and the lack of non-slip materials on the floor of the tub, this presented a huge slip factor that couldn't be ignored. Be careful in the shower. The decorative lighting in the bathroom was very nice. The double sink was an extra treat for my wife and I.
Everything about the room itself was nice. We had plenty of extra room to move about. The 36 channels on the TV were disappointing. The poor quality of the images took me back to the 70's. It was interesting to see what looked like a modern flat screen TV with such a bad picture. The thermostat will only cool to 65 degrees. The closet was roomy with an iron and ironing board. We weren't comfortable spending much time on our balcony after dark due to the bugs. I don't blame Westin for that though. And even though were were on the top floor (5th), we could often hear other guests real well who talking on the pool deck late at night four floors below us. We brought a small fan to create white noise, and it came in very handy on the second and subsequent nights.
We ate in the Carolina restaurant for breakfast on our first morning. We chose the buffet. The food was as good as buffet food can be that has been kept warm for a long period of time. Our service was very good although one of the ladies made us a little uncomfortable asking strange questions. I think she was trying to be entertaining but unfortunately it came across as just weird. After we learned the price was $22 per person for the breakfast buffet, we never returned - that price was crazy for what was available. I've never understood that type of pricing mentality. If Westin had priced their breakfast reasonably, we likely would have returned every morning during our five day stay, as well as visiting their food facilities for other meals. As it was, their high prices made us look elsewhere for all our other meals during our stay. Hint: For an incredible breakfast, visit nearby Stacks Pancake House for breakfast. We went there three days in a row - their food is awesome and their prices are quite reasonable.
As mentioned earlier, the resort grounds were maintained impeccably. Everything was in order. The thick cushions on the numerous deck chairs were comfortable but with recent rains, the cushions stayed wet for a long time and many of them were quite soiled. I think Westin would be well advised to consider other options on their deck furniture cushions.
I acquired lots of concern expressed by others about the $20 per day "resort service charge" attached to all rooms. This fee covers, "shuttle service to resort, golf, tennis, and local shopping mall". Note - there is no mall on Hilton Head Island. The fee also covers, "local and 800 toll-free phone calls up to 60 minutes", something that I can only imagine is needed by someone without a cell phone. The fee also covers, "access to Westin's workout facilities and resort self parking and wireless internet". Does this imply that without the resort fee, guests would have to park off property? With so much negative feedback about the resort service charge, I would offer this advice to Westin: Increase room prices by $20 and quit referring to this added fee by any name. It's insulting to your customers as you can see from their feedback, and it creates unnecessary ill will. From a marketing standpoint, the negative feedback is doing more damage than good. That's just my two cents worth.
We were caught off guard by the lack of any lighting in the outside parking lots. At night these lots are pitch black. The security issues there are obvious.
We would like to have seen diagrams available in our room showing us the layout of the resort. We had fun scouting things out, but even then, we missed a lot. The Westin seems to be doing itself a disservice by not offering such maps/brochures.
Express checkout is available although I did not see it advertised in any of Westin's material, nor is it mentioned on the TV station available for such checkout. For express checkout go to the in-house TV channel displaying the "SPG" logo, and press "menu" on the TV remote. A drop down menu will appear with checkout options.
The wi-fi offered as part of the services covered by the "resort service charge" was problematic. After I could not sign on with my Samsung Saturn 5, I contacted express services and was subsequently transferred to Westin's IT unit.....located in Florida according to the technician I spoke with. The tech, with her broken english, was eventually able to get me connected to wi-fi, but I had to jump through hoops every subsequent time I wanted to sign in even though my device has the ability to automatically sign in with other wi-fi sources.
Will I return to this location on future visits to HHI? Yes, I most likely will, keeping in mind the things I learned on my recent visit, which are many.

Room Tip: This location only has five floors. If you want a view of the beach, ask for the top floor and ask f...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a great place to stay, and for noting the resort is beautiful. We are glad you enjoyed the resort amenities and appreciate the detailed viewpoint on your experiences. We appreciate knowing all our staff were quite congenial and friendly to ensure you were well cared for. Our building configuration with center courtyard allows for varied room types and views, but we do have premier ocean view rooms which have an unobstructed view of the ocean with nearby elevators to the courtyard level to quickly access our spectacular beach. Guest safety is always of the utmost priority, and all of our guest room bathtubs have a slip resistant finish, and if there is an issue we are aware of, we would have quickly responded. Luggage carts are not available for guest usage due to insurance requirements for the safety of our guests. We do have exterior lighting at both the front of the building and in our courtyard. However, due to the endangered loggerhead sea turtles that nest on our beaches, the lighting type and level are specific for our environment. The pricing in our restaurants and bars is very competitive with other Hilton Head Island and east coast resorts. Most guests advise that they prefer a resort fee instead of paying for individual services, and guests do have the choice of self-parking which is included, or valet parking at a fee. It is always our intent to meet and exceed guest expectations, and we would welcome the opportunity to have you return so we may exceed all your expectations on your next stay.
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Pulling up on the drive of this property was even breathtaking! As a loyal raving fan of Westin and most Starwood properties that I have stayed at, this one just topped the list, the only one running right behind it is the Westin Marina Village at Cape Coral. Our three nights began wonderfully when we stopped at the front desk to check in and met Amy. We arrived much later than expected and she provided us an upgrade to the Queen Oceanfront from a Traditional King that had no view only trees. We didn't mind the room changing dynamics even going from king size to double queens after we saw the breathtaking view that Amy took us to show it to us. From there it was one moment after another of pure bliss. I would definitely, and, as a matter of fact already told the family to Save the Date for our Annual Thanksgiving Getaway. Having three bedroom suites at Westin Cape Coral reserved, we are checking into the possibility of going to this property instead. Our stay was phenomenal due to terrific associates: John, server with Splash Poolside, Jeremy, who hooked us up with Stand Up Paddleboard rental at the Outsider, and, especially Amy, Front Desk Associate. The property was renovated recently and we enjoyed as many of the amenities as we could take advantage of. Our dinner in the Carolina Cafe and Clyde, our server was superb. Our housekeeper, Lily, was very hospitable even though we didn't have housekeeping as we chose Make it Green instead. We found that we definitely needed more days here in order to enjoy more amenities and will definitely make our stay longer next time.

Room Tip: A great spot with lots of outdoor and beach accommodations. We chose Stand Up Paddle Boarding and w...
Green Features: We always take advantage of the SPG points instead of housekeeping with the Make it Green which is eco-friendly.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a breathtaking property from the moment of arrival. Delighted that we were able to provide upgraded accommodations with an awsesome view and that you enjoyed the resort amenities as well as dining in the Carolina Cafe. We certainly appreciated the positive comments on Amy, John, Jeremy, Clyde and Lilly ensuring you were well cared for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel does not support breastfeeding mothers. I stayed here on business this week and asked the front desk to freeze my breastmilk so I could take it back to California. I continued to give them bags to add to the freezer. When I picked it up this morning, it was all still liquid, despite a note attached that it must be frozen. I was devastated since it was 15 bags of milk I has to throw away. I called down to ask, and was told there is no freezer anywhere in the hotel. I don't believe that as I have had breastmilk frozen at over 50 hotels between work travel and having two kids. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was offered a $50 room credit. When asked if they even had an ice pack I could use to salvage the situation, I was told no as they have no freezer, which was an outright lie as their restaurant serves both ice cream and sorbet. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay at The Westin. Please be assured that our resort is very family oriented, and we do our best to ensure that special or unique guest requests are given extra attention by our staff. I am sorry for any misunderstanding which occurred regarding storing the bags as most requests of this nature are for refrigeration assistance, even though we do provide mini-refrigerators in each guest room. We will certainly take this opportunity to re-evaluate our internal procedures relating to usage of our commercial equipment in this type of situation and ensure our staff provides appropriate information to our guests, as well as understanding the value and uniqueness of a precious personalized commodity. I was pleased to know our supervisor was empathetic when speaking to you, and know it is always our intent to meet and exceed guest expectations. We hope you will reconsider and return in the future as I know we could ensure you are well cared for.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!