Asking for a review from your average adult visiting a restaurant or staying at a hotel -- "sharing your experiences," as we are asked to do -- is somewhat akin to playing Russian roulette. Our ability (or desire) to quantify the quality of food or services; to appreciate the subtle differences in preparation and presentation; to examine details dealing with cleanliness, for instance, or proper maintenance, etc., are quite subjective, unless we are there expressly to judge, rate and review the establishment. In other words, we, the general public, are not trained, objective evaluators, much less paid critics, or style gurus.
We know what we like and what we enjoy -- all very subjective -- even though that is sometimes influenced by critics and trendsetters, the aforementioned manipulators of popular tastes. Furthermore, our experiences can also be swayed by a multitude of irrelevant factors -- whether we found parking nearby, or how accessible the spot was, or what mood we're in, or personal biases and preferences (I favored a hotel by the beach, the wife wanted near shopping, we stayed in a cabin by the woods...). Spin the barrel...
So, in my humble subjective opinion, this place was paradise! A nonpareil family destination that was fun, full of descovery and reasonably affordable.
Check-in was a breeze, and we were in our room in a flash. The room itself was neat, airy, and well appointed, and we had a great view (thanks to Starwood status, I suppose). We had the AAA package, which included a terrific buffet breakfast for two, so we paid only for the kids' buffet. The service was exceptionally warm and friendly.
The beach was nothing less than exquisite, endless sand and surf and warm Atlantic water. The weather was mostly great, so we walked for a while, saw several people fishing by the shore, even met a wonderful man from Ohio who let our nine y/o reel in a 2.5' black tip shark. (He also taught him that if you weren't going to eat the fish, you put it back in the water.) There were, however, a few thunderstorms during our stay, and, much to our dismay, the front desk couldn't do anything to arrange picture-perfect days.
The pools, too, were terrific, and bar service was prompt and, again, exceptionally warm and friendly. There is also a covered pool, which we used during one of the late afternoon showers.
The concierge had encouraged us to go out and explore the island. We enjoyed the beach and pool so much, however, that we were usually late stepping out for dinner, and that was a serious drawback since restaurants close early on the island. Lesson learned: if you're going out for dinner, book a reservation and make it before 9pm, as the concierge had warned us.
We requested and got a late check-out, and had one last fling with the ocean before heading out. Short of some nasty weather, there is not one thing which could have been bettered (of course, there is always room for improvement, but...). Kudos to the manegement and staff of the Westin HH for having made part of our summer vacation so memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our delightfuly renewed 416 room oceanfront resort revitalized in a "coastal chic" style. Guests can relax on our sandy white beaches, unwind in the Heavenly Spa, and enjoy our championship golf and tennis. Seven dining venues offer creative cuisine inspired by our local seafood and sustainable ingredients. Every inch of our beach resort has been refreshed. Our newly designed resort lobby welcomes our guests with a botanical conservatory and our two-story "living wall" vertical garden. Our guest rooms offer the latest Westin comfort elements including the Heavenly Bed in soothing coastal palettes. Our baths feature the new Heavenly Shower with dual vanities and backlit mirror. All new outdoor plush furniture and firepits have been placed throughout the nooks nd crannies of our expanded beachfront and poolside decking. We offer incomparable ways for our guests to retreat, connect, or entertain amidst naturally beautiful surroundings. The natural beauty of the South Carolina Coast, the myriad of land and sea activities available, and the sheer variety of golf and recreation options on our island, allows us to offer truly memorable experiences to our guests - now at an all new luxury resort property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Hilton Head Island Hotel Hilton Head
- The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort And Spa