“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My family and I stayed August 2-4. We had a most pleasant experience. With 4 pools, everyone from the youngest to the oldest in our party had a good time. Poolside service was carried out with a smile, the food at the on-site restaurants was top-notch and maid service was accommodating and thorough. My husband did the checking-in and out process with ease. We loved the location and look forward to vacationing at The Westin again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a great place to stay and that your family had a very pleasant experience. We are delighted you enjoyed our pool environment and top notch food at the restaurants. We appreciate your comment that housekeeping services were accommodating and thorough. We look forward to welcoming your family back soon for another renewing escape.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

First the good: Very comfortable, large rooms. Nice bathrooms. Even the non-view rooms have a view of the quiet wooded areas surrounding the property. Right on the beach with several pools and a short walkway to the beach. Lots of self-parking available (including a garage to protect your car from the elements). Several onsite restaurants including one with a breakfast buffet (quite good). Reasonably priced spa. Little cafe serving Starbucks coffee in the lobby. Attractive lobby with several sofas/comfy chairs. Chair/umbrella rentals on the beach.

The negative: The chairs around the pool have big fluffy off white cushions. This may seem luxurious, but it was actually pretty gross. The material was stained and often had ketchup spills and rogue french fries left behind. After the rain, they were soaking wet and took forever to dry. There are no fitted towels designed to cover the chairs so protecting yourself from the nasty cushions was a matter of grabbing a lot of towels and creating layers. Ugh. Also, all the chairs were always full - not of people, but of stuff holding chairs that no one was ever using. They may have multiple pools, but only one is large and there is no slide or other entertainment. They do a "dive in movie" one night but have it at the really small pool on a blow up movie screen and no place for parents to sit (did I mention the chair hogs??). The employees in the cafe do not actually know how to make the Starbucks drinks on their menu. I totally threw them off with my order and finally just gave up and settled for something they did know how to make. The cafe also had very few choices for quick breakfast food. Maybe the holiday weekend (we were there July 4th) threw them off, but it was disappointing. Don't think about spending the day at the spa or even arriving early. The prices for services are lower than I would expect and the environment in the spa is why. There is a utilitarian steam room and a small sauna. That's it. Neither one made me feel relaxed - the ones at my gym are nicer. Very small locker room. Dark waiting/relaxation room with three chairs and a long bench. Not even somewhere I would go to read a book. Two showers in need of refurbishment. Just go for the service (my massage was very good - and did I mention surprisingly affordable?) and then leave.

Summary: Very comfortable place to stay in a great location. They have a couple of issues to work out though to really provide a luxurious experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your perspective on your stay at The Westin. I was delighted that you enjoyed our very comfortable guest rooms and baths as well as our spectacular beachfront location. We appreciate your noting that your massage in the Heavenly Spa was very good, but were disappointed that the environment did not meet your expectations as most of our guests share they enjoy the renewing and relaxing atmosphere and amenities. We apologize for the condition of the chairs you observed outside, and know that we are constantly cleaning and maintaining the product and working with the manufacturer for a permanent solution. We do have a policy in place where chairs left unattended poolside for a certain time period have items removed by our staff to ensure that all guests have the opportunity to relax in this area. It is always our intent for our guests to feel renewed and relaxed so upon departure they feel better than when they arrived. I do hope that you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We recently stayed at the Westin Hilton Head for 4 nights for a family vacation. We came back after a brief stay last year because the property was beautiful, clean, and family-friendly. We chose a Carolina Suite for the added space for our children to play and to have meals inside the hotel room. The living space was large enough for our children to play on the floor, and we had a mini fridge for quick breakfasts and snacks.

We also loved the easy access to the beach from our room and the three different types of pools for our children to play in (covered, small shallow pool, and a large pool).

The concierge was helpful in finding rainy-day options and for helping us find off-site family friendly activities.

The rooms were very clean and the housekeeping and room service staff were excellent.

There are a couple of things that could be better as a four-star property:
* Better front door service. It seems like the staff at the driveway are ready to help if you are valet parking the car or when you're checking in/out, but for everyday reasons. On a couple of occasions, I was carrying multiple bags and walking with a toddler, and none of the front door staff offered to help me carry the bags into the hotel. No one offered to put the bags on a cart or help me to my room.

* Better Kids' Menu options - I wished the kids' menu offered additional items that would be more palatable to younger kids. Cobb salad, turkey wraps, etc. may tempt some preschoolers, but not mine.

Room Tip: Go for the Carolina Suite if you have a family. The extra space is totally worth it if you're st...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a beautiful resort and that your family enjoyed a renewing family vacation. I was glad to know you enjoyed the extra space offered by one of our Carolina Suites as well as quick beach access and our numerous swimming pools. We appreciate knowing our conceirge and housekeeping staff ensured you were well cared for. Please know that our staff strives to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest, and I am sorry that you did not receive special attention when you had arms full from our front door staff which would be our expectation. We do have many healthy food choices for children and will always assist with special requests or dietary needs. We do hope your family will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our excitement began with the drive into the resort property, with the well manicured hiking/biking trails under very large trees. Valet was friendly and helpful , although we did not valet our car. Registration very helpful finding us a perfect room in a completely booked hotel, accommodating our small service dog.
The tone of this upscale property was a delightful surprise for lack of pretentiousness. Everything from business casual to swimsuit coverups and flip flops. It's not often I see resort properties with such friendly staff, eager to assist. Housekeeping was respectful of do not disturb sign, and impressively efficient. We dined at the comfortable outdoor bar and shared a large seafood tray for two that was delicious. I can't say enough about the servers, as they were so warm and friendly as they met all our requests.
Bravo to the management team here. They seem to be dedicated to making your stay an excellent experience. At the end of our stay we walked away with our receipt saying "Gladly"!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing that you had a lovely laid-back experience at The Westin. I was delighted to know that our staff ensured you were well cared for by providing personal and instinctive service. It was also nice to know you enjoyed delicious a delicious meal dining at View 32. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.
Piedmont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Wonderful property, nice staff , easy beach access and lovely pool = Delightful!
Everyone from the bell staff (everyone of them) to Patrick at View 32 couldn't have been more helpful. Great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks you for sharing that you had a delightful stay at The Westin and that you enjoyed our fantastic pools and easy beach access. We appreciate your complimentary remarks on our staff as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing family vacation.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My two favorite hotels in HHI are The Westin and The Marriott. I preferred The Westin rooms , but I liked The Marriott's staff. My preferences have changed. The Westin's staff is outstanding. The valets greeted me walking through the doors. Harry, at the front desk asked me if I were a rewards member. I was but left my card at home, so he looked up my number to give me credit. I asked him where I could get some good food this late and he suggested Oceans or Carolina Cafe. He also pointed out the free water in my room.
I was going to eat at Oceans and I came across Michael from Cork. He was friendly and offered to get me a seat. It was humid, so decided to eat in the Cafe. The man who showed me to my table was very friendly, too. Leroy was my server and pointed out a lot of delicious items on the menu. I settled on the shrimp quesadilla, which was gooey with a subtle kick. Leroy suggested dessert, so I got the chocolate Savannah cake which was moist and creamy. Between dinner and dessert, Michael came by to see how I enjoyed my meal and to chat about my stay. Also, another server came by to see if I needed anything even though I wasn't"t his customer. I have stayed here a handful of times within the last 4 years, and this is by far the best I have been treated. Everyone acknowledged my presence and treated me as a valued guest, especially Harry, Michael and Leroy. The food was really good. I like the rooms because they get cool quickly and stay cool. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Join the rewards club
Green Features: I liked that they allowed me to choose my preferences.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing that you had a Heavenly stay at The Westin as one of our valued repeat guests. Delighted that you found our staff to be outstanding, and we appreciate the comments on all the staff who ensured you received personal and instinctive service. We also appreciate your noting the food you experienced was really good and that you also enjoyed your guest room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Norwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at the Westin 7/26 - August 2nd, 2014. This resort has the most friendly staff on every level and are incredibly accommodating in every way! We had a slight mix up with our room upon check in but it was all resolved very quickly, and we were given a very nice room with a beautiful view and also received a bottle of champagne as I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary! We also received complimentary breakfast vouchers due to the room mix up. The breakfast buffet was amazing and had everything on it! Many healthy options too! The rooms were clean and spacious and there are 3 pools and a hot tub. The beds were very comfortable and helped for a great nights sleep. The beach was beautiful and only a few steps from the resort. The housekeeping staff was also very friendly and did a great job cleaning the rooms. There are several restaurant options for food at this resort, and it was all good! Great pool side drinks too! All in all, this was a great vacation at a great location, and we will definitely return. I commend the staff at this resort! They made our stay wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing that you had an enjoyable anniversary/vacation at The Westin recently. I was delighted to know our staff surprised you with complimentary champagne for your anniversary celebration. We are also glad you enjoyed a nice guest room with beautiful view as well as our comfortable, signature Heavenly Bed. Thank you for sharing that our staff was friendly and accommodating as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We appreciate your comments that the restaurant options and poolside drinks were great. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!