“Breathtaking!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Breathtaking!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

The moment you pull into Port Royal to the drive to the hotel is amazing.The staff was very nice and helpfull.I came for my birthday and the hotel sent me chocolates to my room which were deliocous.Enjoy the breakfast buffet on the patio.And the beach was right at your doorstep.And the pool area is so relaxing.The Westin is very family friendly and also romantic.The Westin is are new vacation spot and told friends and family to make there way to Hilton Head and stay at the Westin.Thank you for an amazing vacation!!!

• Stayed July 2014

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Sammo50
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First impressions were not great...head bellman barked orders on arrival for parking etc...We reserved and paid for two adjoining oceanfront rooms. At check in there was a big to do about the rooms being adjoining, and do we have to have adjoining? Standing in front of the front desk personnel were my five year old twins, yes....we have to have adjoining! The checked us into our "oceanfront" room, the only thing it fronted was another building, after 25+ minutes on the phone with the front desk they found something for us. Only one of the rooms were ready and we were promised a call when room #2 was ready plus keys, neither materialized. When we called for keys the "at your service rep" could not have been ruder. My husband called the manager with a promise for a call the next day, that never happened either. I would guess if you weren't someone that complains they would have happily taken your "oceanfront" money and put you in a "resort" facing room. We were given 2 free bfast coupons for our trouble, we never used them as we were a party of 4.
Other negatives the "at your service" line would just ring and ring with no one ever answering. Dated pool area with seating at a premium and zero "kid friendly" zones like a slide or splash zones.
Positives: great kids club staff, great friendly hardworking pool staff, pretty rooms, beautiful beach.
Really nice helpful guy at "outside hilton head" the rental company.

Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First time visiting this property, and will definitely be back in the future. This place has undergone a full renovation, and the results are fantastic. I wasn't sure what to expect coming in, as I generally get disappointed more often than not at SPG properties. Over a busy July 4th weekend, I wasn't sure what to expect, however, this place met my high expectations and exceeded them. They honored all SPG benefits and beyond, without even asking (most places need to fight for these). Service was great, the staff was always helpful and attentive. I found prices to be reasonable for a newly renovated, beachfront property on a holiday weekend. Would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the upgrade. Higher priced suites don't have the same views.
Green Features: The hotel offers a Green Choice option. For 500 Starpoints you can forgo daily room cleaning.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

You walk into the Westin and the aroma relaxes you. The grounds and rooms are wonderful. The staff is top notch. This is my favorite place to stay on the island. Better place for adults, children will love the pools, but the kid programs are limited.

Room Tip: Suite 3082 has limited ocean view and mostly rooftop.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Henrico, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our stay this year was our 8th. It was a five night stay, No grandchildren this time. The lobby and front entrance gives you the feeling of luxury. The staff always greets you cheerfully. The pool area is great and there are rental chairs/umbrellas on the beach. You can order drinks at the pool and try the Splash pool side restaurant for lunch and then right back in the water. The food is really good. The grounds are just beautiful.

Our stays have been part of a conference but we arrive early to enjoy the non-conference days.

Room Tip: Upper floors to see over the trees
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for sharing feedback about your 8th stay at The Westin to attend a conference and also to enjoy some personal renewal time. We are delighted to know that you like our recently renovated resort and "coastal chic" decor as well as our beautiful grounds. We also appreciate your noting that you enjoyed the great food and drinks at Splash. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have attended a conference (and brought along my family) at the Westin Hilton Head for the last seven years. In the past five years they have made significant improvements to the property, management, and staff. This is now a truly enjoyable place for a conference and for a vacation. The rooms are updated, extremely comfortable, and well maintained. The food is excellent. The pools and beach are great. Above all, the entire staff is friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing that you had an enjoyable stay at The Westin, as one of our valued repeat guests, while attending a conference as well as experiencing a family vacation. Delighted that you enjoyed our recently renovated "coastal chic" resort and our comfortable and well-maintained guest rooms. It was also nice to know you experienced excellent food and our fantastic pools and awesome beach. We appreciate your noting that our entire staff is friendly and helpful as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming your family back soon for another memorable stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations
nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I'm reviewing this as I am staying here. This is our second trip to HHI, we stayed at Sonesta last year and so that will be my comparison as well as other Westins we have stayed. I'll start with the negative and end on a positive. We booked three nights/4 days as a preferred member. My 4 year old woke up this morning (day 3) at 0600 with a 102.4 fever and vomiting. At 0800 I went down to the front desk to ask if we could check out early as I didn't know how her illness would play out. The lady said certainly but we would be charged an early departure fee of one nights stay plus taxes. I told her our situation and that it was 8am and she gave me a look of "oh well". She offered no help, no suggestions. So here we sit taking turns sitting in the room with a sick child and one at the beach. I haven't been charged for a nights stay when checking out before 0900 esp with a vomiting, febrile child. I also was not asked by the front desk staff if there was anything we needed. Unfortunately, with frequent travels, we have had this happen before and you can tell a lot about a hotels staff and mission by how they respond when a guest is very ill, especially a child. Nothing from this hotel. Not even a "hope she feels better", can we send up some ice? Towels? Nothing.
The other flaws I'll mention are the hallway carpets have not been vaccumed over the past 3 days. There are crumbs and trash and sand littering the 4th floor hallway. The lobby and pool areas are pristine but for some reason the hallways are neglected. Our room hasn't been vaccumed either as I feel sand on the tile floors when walking.
We ate breakfast one morning outside and were disappointed in the food. The waffles were incredibly dry. We stayed at sonesta last year and Haywood's breakfast was amazing. This paled in comparison. The last less than stellar experience was a young lady at concierge our day of arrival. She had little to offer in restaraunt suggestions and made no offer to make a reservation anywhere. She offered zero suggestions or enthusiasm regarding activities, food selection or anything else she is there for. I'll again compare this to our experience at sonesta last year. Their concierge made us reservations every night which included Ella's, topside and their restaurant . All suggestions were amazing and we got in last minute July 3 and 4th. She was very informative and seemed to know hilton head inside and out. Those customer service performances are what makes people feel as if the hotel wants to please their guests and help them achieve a fantastic vacation. When you are not familiar with a destination you want concierge to help you out. I will say that this westin falls short in the concierge and front desk dept when compared to Sonesta down the road.
The upside:
Pools maintained well and clean. The property outside is beautifully landscaped and provides lots of shaded lounging. The pool food is delicious as are the drinks. I appreciated the staff walking around and taking drink and food orders and delivering them to your chairs. There is a place to rent bikes on property. If you rent ride to the north side and enjoy the vast beach and tide pools at low tide. It's breathtaking. There are kids activities during the day that are free as well as the kids club (which we didn't sign up for). Each morning a nice gentleman comes to the koi pond to let the kids feed the fish. They loved that.
My overall impression is that the resort is beautiful with great poolside drinks, food and some kid planned activities. We have stayed at westin resorts before and you become accustomed to a certain level of service. Unfortunately, this westin fell short for us regarding our sick 4 year old and the concierges lack of desire to perform her job well or at all. This is our second year at hilton head and I am sure we will be back next summer but I'm not convinced id return to this wonderful resort due to it's customer service.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay at The Westin. I was glad to read the many favorable remarks on our facility and numerous amenities. It was, however, quite alarming that our staff did not provide a medical recommendation for ensuring your 4 year old daughter was well cared for in regard to the circumstances you noted. We hope that she has since recovered. It is always our intent for our guests to receive efficient and courteous service from all our associates, and I am very sorry your expectations were not met. We value your feedback as we continually strive to meet and exceed guest expectations and look forward to welcoming your family back for a positive and renewing experience.

Been to The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!