“Pleasant Experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasant Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Recent stay for a work conference. Rooms are fairly spacious and well-appointed. Balcony a plus to be able to enjoy the sounds of the ocean when the pool area is not too noisy. Not quite busy season yet so staff and dining options on premises limited. Thoroughly enjoyed a massage at the spa and highly recommend their services. New bartender Shawn was very helpful in recommendations for dining in the area. Only let down was that the weather was cold and rainy for most of my trip. Would love to return someday for a leisure trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing that you had a pleasant experience at The Westin while attending a conference. Delightede that you enjoyed your guest room as well as a renewing massage at the Heavenly Spa. We appreciate your comments on Shawn being helpful as our staff always strives to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to your return visit in the future for a relaxing and renewing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The hotel itself is okay. I've stayed at other Westin properties that have more of a wow factor when it comes to service. The concierge desk was closed the entire time I was at the hotel and I didn't encounter one front desk staff member that was from the area so they couldn't direct me where to go or what to do. They simply told me they didn't know and weren't from the area. The ladies in the gift shop, Linda at breakfast and John the bartender were the only friendly people I encountered that actually tried to engage in conversation and help us out. Linda even went as far as to ask me how she could make it better when I told her my stay was "okay". When asked the same question by the check-out clerk, I gave the same response and she didn't even bat an eyelash. The food at the restaurant is good and overall it is a very clean and well kept property. I was traveling with someone so the lack of service didn't bother me as much as it would've if I were alone. More than likely the front desk members are interns but they just need to be trained a little better and more knowledgeable about the area. At minimum the front desk staff should at least be able to make dinner and area attraction recommendations.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin. We appreciate your noting that the resort is clean, well kept, and that the food at the restaurant is good. Our associates strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest, and I was glad to know that Linda, John, and the gift shop staff were very friendly. With the busy spring season just beginning, our norm is always to provide outstanding service to each guest. I was disappointed that you did not receive information requested from our staff when the concierge was unavailable. We will ensure the proper re-training occurs with all new staff members in this regard as all front desk agents are required to be knowledgeable and helpful when assisting our guests. We hope that you will return in the future so we may wow you with exceptional service and exceed all your expectations.
Troy, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have a lof of family in the Carolinas, and we've done a couple of get togethers at this hotel in Hilton Head. Each time, I book 2-3 rooms using points. Not sure I'd pay for a room here if the rate was over $200...I'd likely go down to the Marriott if I have to pay.

PROS
-It's on the ocean, so can't go wrong there. The beach is nice, and the entrance and lobby of the hotel look very attractive
-The pool area is clean, though it can be crowded. As one reviewer noted, there are no shallow pools for infants and there are often quite a few older kids jumping and yelling in the pool. If you want peace and quiet, go down to the beach
-There are various games for kids around the pool area and outdoors
-I like the restaurant, and there is outdoor seating and the indoor tables have a nice view. The prices are high, but my personal preference is that I'd rather eat there than go to a chain restaurant or wait for hours at one of the more upscale Hilton Head restaurants, which often seems to be the case during the summer
-The Cherry Pucker drink at the poolside bar is addictive. It's like a frozen lemonade with a cherry mix (yes, it's alcoholic but I think you can ask for it virgin as well)

CONS
-The rooms are so-so at best, a bit older, not always very clean
-As a few people have written, service is hit or miss. On our last trip, I had called a week in advance just to make sure we had adjoining rooms as the trip was my brother and I with our 4 kids. They told us they would make sure it was taken care of...then put us across the hall from one another (which was not really what I wanted)
-Golf course on the property, but it's not well maintained...better off paying higher rates and playing a nicer course, which there are plenty of on Hilton Head

If you want a nice long weekend and have points, it's not bad (I don't think there are any other SPG properties on the ocean...either here or at Myrtle Beach). If you're going to pay, the Marriott down the beach is much nicer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin last summer. We appreciate your noting that the lobby, front entrance, pool area, and beach are very nice. Our entire resort has been recently renovated and updated, and most guests respond very favorably about the condition of the upgraded guest rooms, so we were disappointed that you indicated the room was not pristine. We always do our best to ensure our guests have connecting or adjoining guest rooms whenever requested, although in some circumstances this may not be possible, and we do not guarantee this arrangement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future as I know we can meet and exceed your expectations at that time.
Sumter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in an oceanfront room. Everything in the room was new and modern. We loved the rain shower head. The view was beautiful. The staff was helpful and friendly- right down to the yummy brownies and ice cream we enjoyed one evening via room service. We have stayed here several times, but this time we just noticed a newness and increased attention to details. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2014
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin. Delighted to know that you enjoyed our recently renovated guest rooms and the beautiful view. We appreciate your noting that our staff was helpful and friendly as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable visit.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a hotel we have stayed at and always had a good experience. This trip was a little different. We had a few incidents that happened that were more annoying then anything. It's harder when your expectations are high. Check in did not go smoothly despite the efforts of an intern, Adrian who tried to accommodate us. The front desk supervisor was less then helpful. He made many trips back to get her help but she never came out. When she did she went past us to help another guest knowing we had been there for over thirty minutes. I went up to her and she said she couldn't help us. This was all over an ocean front room we had reserved and paid for and they were trying to put us in a side ocean view room telling us it was a premium ocean front. It sounds like they allow guest to have late check outs on Sundays but when you have someone waiting for a room 8:00p.m. is an unacceptable time to check in. We arrived at 3:00. We finally took the ocean view room just to get settled and said we could move the next day but still charged us the full price of the room we reserved. They did finally offer us an appetizer which we took to the room. After checking in the room which wasn't horrible but when you love and pay for ocean front that's what you expect. I called down and said this really was not acceptable and that's when we met John Green. He was amazing. Somehow we got to the right person and he found a room, it was beautiful, he made sure it was perfect stocking the refrigerator with water and other amenities that made a not so great check in experience a wonderful experience. Sometimes it's the little things people go out of the way to do that mean the most. Fast forward , beautiful room , weather and spa services. Our last day we decided to rent bikes. If you have never gone bike riding on Hilton Head it is one of the most beautiful wide beaches to do this. We got our bikes and took off but unfortunately my bike had a defective seat and as I was riding the seat turned around and with the wind knocked me off the bike falling on the beach and the bike falling on top of me. Several people were around and all were shocked that the bike did that. That ended our ride and returned the bikes. I stopped at the front desk, let them know the bike number so it could be fixed. I also asked for it to be taken off the bill as we rented by the hour and were back in a half hour. After getting to the room and cleaning up I called down for some ice packs. I was already pretty sore. They are not allowed to give ice pack without security taking a report so I was fortunate to meet two other people who made the trip a much better experience. Caroline Riley came to my room, wrote down the details and was very kind. She encouraged me to go to a doctor for my injuries but I just wanted ice and take it easy. No more walks on the beach for that day. Caroline left and called an hour later checking in on me and also offering again to take me to the doctor. Shortly after her supervisor, Bill Cox called and checked in to see if I needed anything. I asked for some additional ice packs. He promptly brought them to me and I also got a phone call from John Green because he had heard about my accident and sent up some things through Bill. These are employees that go above and beyond. Checking out the next morning going through my bill i noticed they did not take the bike rental off. I was surprised and disappointed that they thought so little of what had happened. Luckily, Caitlin McCloy assisted my check out and she quickly took care of that and apologized for it not being taken care of. She was very kind and one of the friendliest front desk representatives I had the opportunity to work with. When I arrived home I had a phone call from Bill Cox making sure we arrived home safely and to let him know if I needed anything at all not to hesitate to call. All in all no huge issues but small issues that can be annoying but luckily I was able to find top notch employees who went out of their way to ensure our trip was still enjoyable. Special thanks to John Green, Caroline Riley, Bill (William) Cox and Caitlin McCloy who stood out and should be recognized for making our stay more enjoyable and personal. I could not give a three star rating for service because the people that care and go above and beyond deserve the extra star.

Room Tip: High Floor, South Tower, if you want a true ocean front room make sure they don't put you on the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin. It is always our goal for our guests to feel well cared for by our staff; especially during the arrival process. Regarding the confusion with ocean front room types, our resort has several categories of “ocean front” guest rooms which are north, south, and frontal; all of which have full unobstructed, beautiful views of the ocean and beachfront. As these are all premium guest rooms with the same pricing structure, the front desk supervisor was attempting to ensure you received the best available room in the ocean front category. We apologize for any delay due to room availability relating to our Westin Weekends program.

Our resort prides itself on offering a full range of amenities for our guests to enjoy including the availability of bike rentals. We were sorry to learn that an isolated incident occurred with a bike, and I can assure you that equipment condition is fully inspected prior to a guest rental. We are truly sorry for your inconveniences in this regard. I was glad to know that our staff members quickly responded to assist you and went above and beyond to ensure your comfort and follow-up after your departure.

We hope that you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.

Saratoga, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We spent two nights here and upon check in, were upgraded to an oceanfront room. Unfortunately that evening, water was leaking into our bathroom through the heating vent and a light fixture. Engineering came to address the problem that night and the next morning, assuring us that it had been taken care of...only to have the same thing happen again about the same time the next evening! We were charged $10.00 for a staff member delivering a FedEx package to our room. We were also advised by the person delivering room service that the 21% service charge did not include her gratuity and that fee was for the hotel only. Our stay was a disappointment...

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. I was delighted to know that we were able to upgrade your accommodations to ocean front, but disappointed that there was an isolated leak issue which our engineering team attempted to resolve. Our team did offer a room move to ensure no further inconveniences would occur which was declined, and we are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. We do have a package handling fee which entails receiving, logging, and guest room delivery, and also an in-room dining service charge; both of which are usual and customary in our industry for these types of services. It is always our intent for our guests to have a renewing and relaxing stay, and I hope you will return in the future so we can meet and exceed all your expectations at that time.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We just spent 6 nights at the Westin on Hilton Head. We have stayed at this property several times over the years. The recent remodel is excellent. The rooms have a much cleaner feel, especially the bathrooms. The outdoor pool area and added outdoor restaurant/bar is very nice.

The hotel staff was very nice -from
Housekeeping to room service to check-in.

My only negative feedback is that spring break season starts in March. While I realize not all amenities will be available, I think more should open and you do need to upgrade the pool towels to match the resort level. I would never mention it but these were worn and stained and not enough on hand.

Overall, this is our preferred hotel on the island. We have family on HHI and will return again.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for sharing that you enjoyed your most recent stay at The Westin as one of our valued repeat customers. We were delighted that you felt our recent renovation was excellent. We appreciate your remark that our staff was very nice as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We are continually reviewing our linen inventories, eliminating those items with wear and tear, and purchasing new products. We sincerely appreciate your comments. Our poolside restaurant and bar will open soon, as well as Oceans Restaurant, for the busy season in just a few weeks. All other restaurants/bars and in-room dining are available in the meantime as well as a myriad of available activities such as our heated swimming pool, outdoor jacuzzi, bike riding, golf, tennis, Heavenly Spa, and our fantastic beach. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for a renewing and relaxing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!