“Best Greek in the lowcountry.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 320 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Best Greek in the lowcountry.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

In the interests of full disclosure, I should probably point out that I worked at It's Greek To Me in the late 90's. Back then, owner/chef Barbara Maniotis would start the day at an ungodly hour. By the time the servers walked in for lunch, Barbara had already prepped trays of baklava, spanakopita, dolmathes, and mousaka. All the staples of Greek cuisine were prepared fresh from scratch daily. It was a true labor of love carried out by a family that put quality and service before quick profits.
Fifteen years on, the only thing that's changed is the location. Quaint, open and airy, the "new" It's Greek To Me still serves the same recipes that earned the restaurant a devoted following. The attention to detail, top-shelf ingredients, efficient service; it's all still there. Try their calamari, lightly dusted and flash-fried. The Greek salads are a cornerstone of their success, as is their house-made savory and dessert pastries.
I admit that I might have a bit of an emotional connection to this food. It was the meal that I looked forward to most when I went away to college and the place where I'd meet my dad for a beer and catch-up. In almost twenty years, it's good to see that not much has changed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Terrific Greek Cuisie and a great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I found "It's Greek to me" quite by accident, as we were coming out of a grocery store in the Coligny Square Shopping Plaza; and are we glad we did! Being lovers of Greek food, we dined there twice during our week on Hilton Head Island.

"It's Greek to Me" provides a casual, warm and friendly bistro atmosphere and a terrific value.

A fine choice of house wines - $5.00 per glass - is always on the menu.

If offered, try the Lamb Burger Special, deliciously served with Feta Cheese on Pita - Bravo!
Another must is the grilled octopus, served with an abundant splash of olive oil, onion, capers and topped with fresh lemon...mouthwatering! The homemade Hummas spreads are outrageously good.

Service can be a little quirky. You may find yourself waiting at your table a fair amount of time as the wait staff is in no particular hurry to serve you......Greeks! But once you get Dino or Sergie's attention - you will find the service very friendly, professional and accomodating. You will definitely want to return soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Take out - great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We called ahead to order gyros to take to Harbour Town as a picnic before Gregg Russell's concert. I was told it would 15 minutes, but in all we received our order 30 min after placing it. Not bad, we were on "island time" mentality anyhow. The gyro's pita bread was delicious, and the meat was well prepared but a bit salty with the feta spread for our taste. However, we would certainly get these again, and the restaurant itself is clean and adorable. We'll be back next year!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Rivne, Ukraine
“Tasty Greek fair ..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

As a fellow European I must say I loved this restaurant.. From their calamari to Greek salad to their pork and chicken Shishka bob entree and finished off with one of their baklava desserts ...I will say that this place 5 stars in my book.. It's a huge break for all the typical food joints nearby that serve same old menu of fried shrimp and oysters ... Will defiantly be back for more...

Atlanta, GA
“Great Greek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Ever since we first discovered It’s Greek to Me six+ years ago, we never fail to eat there at least once during a trip to Hilton Head. The portions are huge, the prices reasonable and the food delicious. My favorite: the Mediterranean Tilapia platter.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere