“A PLUNGE IN QUALITY” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
greer
“A PLUNGE IN QUALITY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have been going to Pho #1 for five years. I lived in Vietnam for 5 years so I know the food fairly well. In the past, the restaurant served very good, authentic Vietnamese food. About a year and a half ago, ownership changed to a Laotian. The quality dropped slightly but was still good. But last night we took guests and were completely embarrassed. We ordered Pho, cha gio (spring rolls Vietnamese style), and a shrimp appetizer that I didn't recognize by name. The pho was so-so. The "cha gio", if you can call the that were wrapped in some hard shell of wheat(?) dough instead of rice flower. They were small and tasteless, lacking something normally found in them. They were served with plum sauce rather than nuoc mam. The shrimp were wrapped the same way and were absolutely terrible...8 tiny shrimp for $6.50. The specials gave us fair warning but I ignored them...the restaurant also serves some "Korean dishes", but the cooks did not appear to be Korean. My recommendation is run, don't walk away from this Vietnamese restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Watch the charges on your bill! Make sure you look at your receipt and check it against your account if you pay with credit or d”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

My friend was overcharged for her lunch one day and didn't notice it until she reviewed her bank statement. Tonight I got to go food they tried to charge me one dollar per container for the to go boxes without telling me.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Taylors, South Carolina
“Terribly Gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I just ate there and I want to throw up after seen a roach crawling on my husband plate. Immediately, I told the waitress (old vietnamese lady) and she simply tried to catch it. I don't know why. She said that maybe the roach just flied over the table. She said that it can happened. She apologized to me, but I was so upset that I just wanted to leave this disgusting place immediately. I was expecting to get a discount due to the inconvenience. I'm not planning to come back anymore. Thinking about this incident, I feel like throwing up. I highly DON''t recommend Pho No 1. Please don't go to eat there.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great food, NOT clean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

The only reason I'm giving this such a poor review is cleanliness. The food here is amazing, but I'll never go back again. And here's the story...A roach actually crawled across my hand on the table. I screamed out loud, and managed to kill it before it ran off the table. The waitress came over to see what was wrong, and I told her. She explained that pest control had come the day before, and "sometimes this happens" a day or so after. I never got an apology, and I didn't get an offer to reimburse the meal. I was so grossed out that I couldn't finish my meal. This, in my opinion, is very, very poor customer service. They also really need to get this bug problem under control! Truly, the food is some of the best Vietnamese I've ever had, but I just can't stomach the thought of going back there.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, SC
“One of the better Pho places.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We eat here about once a month. The place is great for lunch. I always stick to the Pho, usually with chicken. Excellent portion for $7.50. Spouse had the seafood, mostly fake crab, for $10. Both were very tasty and include an iced tea.

Always enough to take some home for leftovers. Tasty, not too salty and high quality ingredients. Friendly service.

• Visited April 2011