“Really as good as others say” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 760 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Indian, Vegetarian
Carrollton, Georgia
“Really as good as others say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

On a trip with my wife and son to New England from GA, I made a point of dropping by Swad for lunch. We're vegetarian and ordered various dishes. It was all very fresh and tasty. We frequently eat Indian food at restaurants and cook it ourselves. My son got the daily thali, which I usually avoid because they can be so predictably boring. Not this thali, it was an interesting and delicious variety of dishes. We all felt good after eating here. The atmosphere is relaxed and enjoyable. We'll be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Taylors, South Carolina
“All vegetarian Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited Swad while on vacation and enjoyed the food. Very authentic Indian dishes, and completely vegetarian. The owners are friendly and will recommend dishes to you, if you'd like. They have a grocery, too. It's a small restaurant in a strip center but is worth finding.

Visited November 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
“You want authentic?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

You can't get more authentic than the ladies at Swad.

First time I walked in this place, about 5pm on a sweltering Tuesday afternoon, I found the two ladies that run this place shelling peas and rinsing lentils by hand.

These ladies take their vegetarian fare VERY seriously! As a dedicated carnivore, I went into this experience expecting to miss the meat I'm accustomed to. That was the most amazing thing, though... I didn't miss it at all.

My meal insisted of the biggest, baddest and heartiest samosas I've ever had... they put other local Indian restaurants to shame (even Handi Indian downtown on Main st, which I also rated 5 stars!) They simply dwarf the competition!

I had one dish (can't recall the exact name) that was a crepe-style dish, stuffed with potatoes and other vegetables... and the kufta dish I had (potato and cheese dumplings in a curry sauce) was outstanding!

I fully intended to eat half of the food I ordered so I could have leftovers for the next day. No such luck. I wiped almost all of it completely out.

Pay these ladies a visit... it seems like no one knows about this place, but I promise if you give it a try you won't be disappointed! The samosas alone are worth a visit!

Very similar to some other small, family-owned restaurants here in Greenville, they also have a grocery section. They have some homemade curries in there... get some seasonings and some pre-made simmer sauces and make your own Indian cuisine at home!

Visited July 2012
Greenville, SC
“Flavorful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've been wanting to try this for years, so I finally bought a restaurant.com certificate and went. The owner was very friendly and told us that he's been there for 16 years. We liked the decor--very colorful and homey. The menu had a lot of nice selections, although all the references to butter and oil scared me... I wish Indian food wasn't so high-fat! We had 3 dishes with rice, naan and roti. They were all good and flavorful, but the veg. jalfrezi had mostly green peppers so I'd probably skip it next time. The amount of food was about right and the price was decent.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great Vegetarian Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Though the atmosphere is not the greatest, it is home cooked veg. Indian at its best. The staff are always friendly and have AMAZING memories. They always remember what we like to order and we don't go there that frequently. If only it weren't vegetarian...

• Visited November 2011