“Nice place for a special dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rick Erwins Westend Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 789 Restaurants in Greenville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Augusta
Greenville, South Carolina
“Nice place for a special dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The food and service were impeccable. This is a special place for a special dinner or occasion. My husband would not go back every week.....it is a little over our budget. However, it is always crowded and have always heard wonderful comments regarding the food. For my taste, it is a little dark in the restaurant and to me feels like a place for a more conservative crowd. Our preference is for something a little more light and bright and would definitely prefer some place that also has outdoor seating. Otherwise, it is a great place to take someone special on a very special date. Enjoy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greenville, SC
“Rick Erwin's has great food but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Haven't eaten here for about a year. As previously experienced, the food, at least all that I have eaten here, is excellent. The crab cakes which both my wife and I ate at this visit, were almost entirely made of jumbo lump crabmeat, obviously quite fresh and held together with a bare minimum of other ingredients.

There are, however, some problems which will probably make us defer another visit anytime soon. First, some of the table servers and bus staff have not been adequately trained in serving plates, pouring water, etc. They consistently reached across me from the left instead of walking three steps around the table to pour or serve from the right, which would have meant no one reached across me or my plate. It is pure laziness that makes servers do this and I just have difficulty thinking I should accept it without comment in a restaurant which holds itself out to be a high quality, white table service establishment.

There is much bragging about their Wine Spectator awards. This is such meaningless hype. They do, indeed have a very extensive wine list, which was obviously put together by someone from a wine distributor and not by anyone with real, in depth knowledge of wines and wine pairing. Wine Spectator makes their awards to restaurants based on the NUMBER of wines,and categories of wines (New World, Old World, Pacific Rim, etc.) not on management's employment of wine knowledge or pairing. Rick Erwin's apparently does not employ anyone who has had any professional training as a sommelier or even as an apprentice sommelier. No one ever approached us to discuss wine, except our waitress who was purely an order taker.

That brings me to the matter of the wine list and how it is priced. While I am not an expert in wine prices, I do have some knowledge of the subject and most of what I was able to assess from experience or look up on my "smart phone" while in the restaurant, was priced at approximately 300% of retail. This is just gouging but that is just my opinion and I am only a consumer, not a seller of wine.

Finally, as to the corkage fee charged by Rick Erwin's, and how it compares with other fine restaurants in the community. This establishment charges $20 per bottle, which is at least $5 more than most of the finer restaurants in our area. Many charge only $10 per bottle and several of these "cap" the corkage at two bottles. I have a fine cellar of my own and I love to take my own wine when we dine out, particularly on anniversaries and birthdays and the like. Not at these prices!

Once again, there is obviously a fine chef in the kitchen turning out very fine food but between the wine pricing, corkage fees and lack of training for table servers, he really doesn't attract the local following he could have. We were there on a Tuesday night to celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary and the place was so crowded (mostly with business travellers spending company money!) that we could barely carry on a conversation.

There are a lot of very nice people working at Rick Erwin's but some of them need training. We'll try it again, if onlly for the crab cakes!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Great food and wonderful service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had the Osso Buco which was served over mashed sweet potatoes with a reduction sauce that was outstanding. The beer list is small but had some interesting and unique choices.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Carolina
“It's my favorite Greenville Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The food here is always good. I have been here alot and have never had a bad meal. Chuck is my favorite server, ask for him, he's is great, but all of the servers there are wonderful. Wine list is pretty good as well.

Visited May 2012
Greer, SC
“Great, fresh seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We celebrated our anniversary here and went all out - grilled prawns; seafood bisque; wedge salad with Clemson bleu cheese, bacon, and tomato; surf and turf with filet mignon; grilled lobster tails with cheesy mashed potatoes. Everything was superb (although the key lime pie lacked the tartness we enjoy). The service was great, including the wine recommendations; a little slow at the end, but this is the Upstate Foodie weekend so the restaurant got busy early. Nice perk: complimentary valet parking, a plus in downtown Greenville where on-street parking is hard to come by. Definitely going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere