“Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Greenville, SC
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Joined friends for dinner on a Saturday night. The steaks were prepared as requested and were ok quality for the price. The baked potatoes looked good, but my husband and I ordered fries because when my husband asked if their fries were steak fries, the waitress said they were. No, they are not steak fries and they are served dumped over top of your steak. Go with the baked potato, which is your only other choice of a side.

Be careful ordering a glass of wine because it is anyone's guess what type of wine you'll get. I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir. The waitress brought out a glass of white wine. I asked if it was a Pinot Grigio and she said yes. I explained that I ordered a Pinot Noir. She said , "That is a Pinot Noir." I tried to explain that Pinot Noir is typically a red wine, she got belligerent and told me it was a Pinot Noir and I could order a different type of wine if I wanted something different. I gave up and drank the mystery wine.

Atlanta, GA
“An old time steak house,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First went there over 50 years ago. Big juicy steaks & good salad & dressings. Believe still owned by same family. Good service!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Go for the atmosphere if you want a trip back to the '60s -- not for the steaks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had tried Charlie's many years ago and I wasn't impressed then but my wife had read an article and wanted to try again. I figured it had been 30+ years and even though I read all the reviews I thought we would give it another try. The greeter was kind enough and our wait staff was very proficient and attentive.

The salad was quite tasty with their homemade dressings. My wife tried the steak kabob and I opted for the New York Strip. I was fearful of trying the ribeye based on all the reviews and the cost. We also asked for some bread. Our orders arrived in a reasonable amount of time and my wife enjoyed her kabob but was unaware that there is no seasoning and she tried their sauce and ended up with some A-One. I ate my steak as cooked and it was tolerable -- several pieces of gristle and not any flavor. I don't know where the reviewers have eaten that think it is 'excellent' but I assure you that most folks who have tasted a good steak would not think it is excellent. We had to ask again for the bread and it was nothing special -- tasted like it had been tossed in the microwave for warmth.

The baklava was very good -- I've only had one other in Greenville that was better and that shop is no longer in business.

There are other, better, steak places than here and although the wait staff was very attentive and nice I was looking for good steak.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
GREENVILLE
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The decor is pretty old. Could use some updating. The steak was good. It was just very different than the usual steakhouse. Felt dark and dated.

Taylors, South Carolina
“Yuck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I can be nostalgic with the best of them, but this place is just old. Dingy atmosphere and not great steaks. When givenyou rare meat leftovers in a plastic bag- yuck!