“I was impressed with the art and very disappointed with the staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Greenville County Museum of Art

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 87 things to do in Greenville
Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I was impressed with the art and very disappointed with the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

As the title says, the art that was displayed in the museum was more impressive than I thought it would be, albeit I am not an art critique. That is where the positives end. How can anyone expect to enjoy the art displayed in the museum when the staff is stalking you as if you are a criminal the entire time? I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that every single time I entered a different room they would speak into their headsets, keeping tabs on people as they moved from room to room. It made the entire experience unpleasant. There are cameras everywhere, so I truly do not understand the need for the staff to behave the way they do. I won't be returning and I will be telling everyone I know to avoid visiting.

Visited June 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Local Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Great local museum in downtown Greenville. As other reviewers mention there is an impressive Wyeth collection but the rotating collections are also nice. Examples are of local Greenville and regional southern artists as well as a nice Edgefield district pottery collection. Museum is free but donate to support this great institution. Nice gift shop as well.

Visited February 2014
Bequia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Top Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is one of the best art museums in the Southeast. Large collection of Andrew Wyeth. Free, yes free, admission. Worth a trip to Greenville.

Visited May 2014
Simpsonville, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“What fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the museum. It was very educational. It flowed very well and the exhibits were very engaging.

Visited May 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Just the right size”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

As others have mentioned, this museum, though small, is just the right size to spend a few hours. The exhibits change from time to time and we really enjoyed all the local artists plus the Wyeth collection. A nice variety of different artistic styles.

After exploring the museum, I recommend going to the beautiful library in the Heritage Green complex and eating in the cafe. They have a nice selection of sandwiches, salads and homemade soups. Also, even if you are not a library patron, you can make purchases in the gift shop where they sell current paperbacks for $1.00.

Visited April 2014