“Should have a DANGER sign posted at the entrance” 1 of 5 stars

Savannah Suites Greenville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2015 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29615   |
Ranked #56 of 61 Hotels in Greenville
Greenville SC
“Should have a DANGER sign posted at the entrance”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

How can I say this... STAY AWAY. The parking lot should tell you that you don't want to stay here. in fact, I think the parking lot would move away if it could. I looked at a room, Low rent stuff. Looked like a hotel room from 1950. A bad room. The door looked like it had been in a fight. I felt really bad for the folks having to stay there. Guess they had no choice.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SherikaGreenville, General Manager at Savannah Suites Greenville, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent review for Savannah Suites. However we will take your comments and concerns into consideration to make sure we are meeting the guest needs and giving customer satisfaction during there stay. We will make sure this is being done on a consistent basis. Thank you once again for your comment and enjoy your day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place was dirty, had spiders, and I was solicited for prostitution! There was an older man who stayed in this hotel and I too was staying for about a week because I was from out of town and didnt know of anywhere else to go, so I was outside one day and the older man came up to me to ask me if I was a prostitute! When I obviously got upset and told him off the next day he apparently went to management to tell them I was a prostitute, obviously because he was mad. So the hotel manager came pounding on my door early in the morning screaming that I was soliciting out of there hotel. First of all this women was clearly uneducated, not sure if even a high school education, this is not how you handle this obviously. She told me she was searching my room so when she found out I indeed wasnt a prostitute she softened up and said well sorry your all by yourself and it just looks bad was the only response I got. I have never been so offended in my whole life! I have never even been accused of being a prostitute but clearly the discusting women who live in this hotel do it all the time. ATTN: If your a detective looking to shut down a hotel for prostitution, this is the one to go to!!!!!!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SherikaGreenville, Manager at Savannah Suites Greenville, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
We thank you for your recent stay here at Savannah Suites where we try and provide the best customer service for the guest to make sure your stay here is comfortable and enjoyable.
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I Booked Reservation then all of a sudden they call up to cancel worst place . I stayed there from 2009 2012 they should not book my room then cancel on me i think they should be greatful i would even want to stay there again it smelled nasty . noisy fire alarms going off at all hours of day and night didnot want to ever go again to live there again

Room Tip: stay away from Savannah Suites
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SherikaGreenville, Manager at Savannah Suites Greenville, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I Appreciate you recent review for Savannah Suites.I do apologize for any inconvience this may have caused during your stay here at Savannah Suites,however I will take your concerns into consideration to make sure we provide a much more enjoyable stay here at Savannah Suites.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This place is trash!!! This is the spot where hookers bring their johns! If you want to catch something lay in the bed. It was so bad that an hour after checking in I left and went to another spot and paid more for less time. The tv in the room stayed on for 10 seconds before it turned off on it's on. Why is this place still open the sheets were covered in all types of stains, hair, and make-up!

• Stayed August 2012
SherikaGreenville, General Manager at Savannah Suites Greenville, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
I do apologize for any inconvience with your stay at Savannah Suites Greenville.However I will take your comment into consideration to provide a much better and satisfied stay for any guests who comes to lodge at our facility, where we try our best to accomodate them.We do appreciate you expressing your comments and concerns on Savannah Suites.

Thanks,
Sherrie Hughes
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Like tsch1960, I also booked this hotel late. Before you book this hotel, read the last 3 reviews. They are accurate. If you want a different hotel experience, be sure to visit the Savannah Suites Greenville. Had I been prepared for this hotel, I could have stayed the night. This is not a two star hotel. This is a one star or less hotel. This hotel looks like it is trying to upgrade itself and I wish it good success.

It is possible that had we arrived earlier, we would have gotten a better room. The king bed room did look less worn out than the double bed room

When we arrived a woman came to our door asking if we heard the weird noise upstairs. I don't know if she was a guest or resident but altogether the experience was a bit too much for this weary traveler. I opted to drive as far as I could and sleep in the car when I could safely drive no farther. I had to drive far because all hotels for miles were booked due to a football game the next day.

This is what I wish someone told me which would have prepared me for this hotel stay:

***arrive early to get a better room***

If you arrive after the office closes then:

1. Treat this hotel like camping in a rustic campground where you are thankful you have a cabin even if the cabin is old and worn out.

2.Treat this hotel like a dorm where you have a bland room at first but you fix it up to make it home. If I was stuck in that room for any length of time, I was make it work and look like a home and do it all on a tiny budget.

If you like a clean, neat and fresh smelling hotel room--many don't--but if you do:
1. Take everything you need to go camping like sleeping bags, something soft to sleep on if you have joint problems, linen, towels, soap and other toiletries, towel or carpet for the floors, cooking supplies and ice chest, disinfectant spray and other cleaning supplies. Use an air freshener near the AC unit.
2. Carry a big trash bag to tie it in when you leave.
3. Wash everything by itself in hot water and do not mix with your other laundry.
4. My door would not lock from the inside so bring something so your door will make a noise if someone enters.

Pros: A roof over your head if its raining, snowing, hailing, or other extreme weather (otherwise sleep in your car)
A refrigerator and tiny kitchen for only 1 person to fit.
A walk-in shower (no tub which is good cause I doubt it would get cleaned)
A friendly courteous night security guard (cause you'll need one in that neighborhood)
Bob Jones University is down the street
The rooms have king single beds or 2 full beds (that sleep so that every turn you make causes a squeaking sound.
A tiny table and 2 chairs.
A tiny tv (old fashioned kind...so if stolen...no big loss?)
Dresser (all dressers drawers and cabinet doors were open when I arrived so maybe they are all open to discourage bugs?)

Cons: The hotel is several stories high. There are no elevators. Travelers will likely be assigned to an upper level room so if you have a problem with stairs, you will have problems getting upstairs.
This hotel is rated too high. It is a one star or less hotel-- maybe it should be classed as a one star low-income apartment complex which would make more sense to me.

This hotel is totally off the main highways and sits inside a community. The building is difficult to locate. The sign is not easily visible from the main street. The "office" is located at the far back end of the building.

As of this writing, no night staff. You call the phone number on the door of the "office". The night guard will come. He will be nice to you. Its not his fault. He keeps you and your vehicle safe so be thankful he does safety patrol and more. He will escort you to your room and unlock the door for you. You will not get a key until the day staff arrives. I have NEVER in my whole life seen a setup like this. I don't know if the hotel is changing into a hotel or changing from being a hotel.

The mattresses were stained. One mattress had a zipper plastic cover the other did not. The top quilts were extremely faded...which is good because that means they were washed often.

This is not the worst hotel, but it can be a shock if you have stayed in other budget hotels that have a cleaner feel and traditional check-in experience. I wish the management much success as they bring a much needed and reasonably priced hotel to the Greenville community. I hope they keep the pleasant security guard.

I rated the service terrible because they did not have a night clerk. The security guard was not a substitute for a night clerk. I rated the value poor because even though the rate was low, what you get for the money was not worth the money I paid. I left shortly after arriving. Too risky to stay. I rated sleep quality terrible. I could not sleep on a bed that noisy. I hope they will upgrade their beds for the travelers. Had the bed been comfortable, I would have stayed even with a broken lock on the door I was so tired. I would have put myself in God's Hands and slept .

Cleanliness was rated poor because the double bed room had a dirty mattress and looked dusty. The location was rated terrible because it was totally out of the way of major roads and not close to anything worth being close to.

The rooms were not terrible. They were disappointing. The walls were not torn up or the ceiling falling in. They did at least have dresser and tv and bed so it was just poor and not terrible. There was nothing for kids to do and I would not put kids on the floor without cleaning the carpets (carpets need replacing...maybe use a different flooring.)

My family and I are laughing about our experience in Greenville South Carolina but it was not so funny at the time. This was a "If life hands you a lemon, make lemonade" moments. As of October 2011, Savannah Suites Greenville is not the worst hotel or a hotel to run from. It is a hotel to be prepared for especially if you, require a comfortable bed, book late and arrive after office staff has left for the day.

Room Tip: Call to find out when the office staff leaves and get there early before the office staff leaves so...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Ok first off before i went i tras the reviews and Im like let me give them a chance. So i did the guard was nice he let me in cool i check the bed cuzz of the reviews and they were right my room was non smoking but there were burn holes in da sheets. Then there was hair on all three pillows Im like Man i just missed someone. So i said i would still give them a chance so next day the maid woke me up early and said sorry she didnt kno i was there for two days Im like wow lack of communication so i let that slide went to sleep.Now this is when i lost it i asked for new sheets and told them How i felt they gave me my room card i left. Now night two i stoped grabbed a bite to eat i come there loaded wit food and drinks and my card dnt work. So i had to wait for security he lets me in Im pissed my food is cold now. I get in no new sheets or towels and i cant leave cuzz no card Man they have got to be kidding me is What Im thinking i was looking for ashton Man Im getting punked. I wont ever go back they are nasty and it seem like the nicest one is the guard only so this is not a good place too stay. I would rather stay at the mission Man really.

• Stayed October 2011
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

The title says it all. I booked this hotel the same night of my stay and arrived pretty late. Has others have said, the office was closed and I was about to call hotels.com to let them know I couldn't check in and to please cancel my guaranteed room charge with the credit card company. Then I noticed a sign next to the door with an after hours number to call for late check-in. I called the number and a security guard answered and indicated that they could check me in. They met me at the office and took all my information, then I learned that I would have to pay with cash and that I should wait and give it to them once we were in the room because they didn't want the "sketchy" characters in the area (and by that I mean the other guests) to see us exchanging money in the open. They escorted us to the room and opened it for us and then also informed us that we wouldn't be able to get a key and that if we needed to leave we would have to call them again to lock the door behind us and let us back in when we returned, absolutely amazing! Then we go in the room and things went from bad to worse. I had asked for a non-smoking room and the only thing that appears to mean to this hotel is that the room isn't currently on fire. It smelled worse than my dad's old car and he was a four pack a day chain smoker. Once we settled with the security guard the only concern was surviving the night without being robbed, mugged or molested. It was the worst hotel stay of my life. To top it all off, when I went to the office in the morning to get a receipt (which the security guard recommended since he couldn't provide one for the cash I gave him) the person at the desk was adamant that she couldn't give me one since I booked through hotels.com. Now I'm worried that my credit card is going to get charged in addition to the cash I had to pay and I will have little to no recourse to recover it, not that I really care, I'm happy to have survived.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Savannah Suites Greenville? Share your experiences!