“The stars did not align for us” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Soby's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 761 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Court St.
Description: Soby's New South Cuisine is a blend of contemporary cuisine infused with traditional southern ingredients. The restaurant opened in 1997 and is housed in the warm environment of a renovated, century-old building and has a mezzanine level that can accommodate large parties ordering a la carte. Starting with fresh, seasonal ingredients, our chefs transform Southern favorites into something comfortable and fresh. The wine list is a consistent winner of Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast awards. Signature dishes include Barbecue Shrimp and Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and Crab Cakes Remoulade.
Harrisburg
“The stars did not align for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We’re not hard to please. I’ve dined on six continents, and I know the difference between regional cuisine and poor quality food. Service and atmosphere were fine. Drinks were good, “blood orange” Cosmos. But the food was low quality and lacking flavor. The duck was rubbery and the sauce described in the menu was absent. I “returned” my first two bites to my plate because I couldn’t chew through the gristle. The biscuits from any Red Lobster were twice as good. The “crawfish” slaw was one of those dishes if they didn’t tell you the name, you would never know any seafood swam near it - average quality and tasted like onions only. The bacon mac and cheese was bland, lacking cheese and flavor. The noodle cut was tiny and strange, and none of the cheese stickiness you would hope for. The crab cakes were recommended and were passable, but my GF is from Baltimore and the worst Baltimore crab cakes were better than these. The texture was way off, too mushy which the waitress attributed to “lots of crab meat.” The server was great. The manager stopped by because we barely touched our entrees. We offered to pay full price because we are not whiners and everyone else seemed to be having a good time, so perhaps the stars did not align for us. The server even brought us a free entrée of fried green tomatoes, another one of their specialties, but we had the same dish at Hall’s in Charleston, SC a couple of nights earlier that was in another league. They did not charge us except for the drinks. We left the server a $20 tip, walked down the street to Murasaki for the best seaweed and octopus salad I ever had. Based on the high rating and the smiling faces of the other patrons, try this restaurant out for yourselves.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Kingsville, Canada
“could be the best restaurant in Greenville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Excellent restaurant serving 'new south' cuisine, meaning southern cooking taken up a couple notches! Very good fried green tomatoes and the shrimp and grits, and the smoked pork tenderloin entrees were delicious. This place fills up fast each night so either get there early(5pm) or make reservations. Well worth it!

Visited April 2014
Waterford, Michigan
“Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Based on the reviews from others I was fairly certain I could expect a memorable dining experience. I'm not going to bash Soby's but I do feel their food is overrated. The outdoor seating area is lovely while indoors is quite loud and busy. Overall the service was ok. Once the server took an itinial drink order it took a bit of time for them to come back around as others in our group joined.

Food came out of the kitchen in a timely manner but I do question who is on the grill. Most chose the crab cakes for their entree, another opted for the salmon, and I went with the "create your own surf and turf". My selections were flank steak, medium rare, and grilled shrimp. I also ordered a plate of their southern vegetables to share. This was actually listed as a main entree for the vegetartians but anyone ordering this for an entree would walk away famished. And for $16 it was a rip off.

Presentation of the food was better than average. My medium rare steak, however, came well done and the shrimp were over cooked and quite salty. No one raved about their meals but said they were good. The vegetable plate consisted of one piece of broccolini, a dollop of some smashed root vegetable and a few roasted brussel sprouts. They were prepared well, just nothing to write home about.

In general, the food was good, not great or out of this world as I was expecting. Service was acceptable. I personally don't think Soby's is worth the hype. I'm not bashing them but lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Abingdon, Virginia
“Great Sunday Brunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We ate the Sunday Brunch Buffet here and as always it was outstanding. Fresh prepared food including meats, French Toast, unique sides and a loaded up dessert table. It's worth every penny!

Visited April 2014
“Brunch on Sunday is a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Best Sunday Brunch I have probably had. Buffet has breakfast and lunch items. Lots of desserts as well. Definitely try the grits, actually try everything. The beauty of a buffet.

Atmosphere is fantastic. We went during Christmas season and Santa Clause was even there. They also have outdoor seating right on Main St.

Reservations are highly recommended.

We did go for dinner one night. Ask about the room in the wine cellar. We had a party of 12 down there. Quite a different atmosphere than the main and upper level.

Visited December 2013