“Server more intelligent than manager” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Greenwood, SC
“Server more intelligent than manager”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I typically do not prefer to dine at chains such as this, but my boyfriend and I were given a giftcard as a Christmas gift, so in we went for a late lunch/early dinner on a Sunday. I have to say, our server Sydney was fantastic! There was a dish called Hearts of Gold Mahi, essentially Mahi topped with a few artichoke hearts, sun dried tomates, and a light lemon sauce. I'm not a fan of Mahi, so after asking the server if it was okay, I substituted salmon. (salmon and tilapia were the only other 2 fish offered on the menu) A simple seasoned piece of salmon and a simple seasoned piece of mahi were also offered on the menu, and they were roughly the same price. The Hearts of Gold Mahi dish was approx. $1 more than the plain version. Sydney returned about 10 minutes later, looking very apologetic, and said she was told by the kitchen that to put the artichoke/sun dried tomato/lemon sauce bunch on the top of the salmon instead of the mahi, that it would be a $3.50 upcharge. I asked fairly politely to clarify, was I to understand that for a piece of fish the same size, and roughly same price (by a little change), that I was not only going to be charged the higher price for the Hearts of Gold Mahi (in comparison to the plain offering), but ALSO an additional $3.50? She regretfully explained that she knew it made no sense and that she had been arguing about it with the kitchen, but offered to send the manager over to our table to speak with so that they might be able to deal with the kitchen. The manager came over promptly, and after I nicely let her know about the discepancy, she quickly interjected that we were talking about two different values in fish, and the worth of adding said topping on one type vs another. And, well, they just HAD to charge me $3.50. Disbelieving of the idiocy I was hearing, I simply said "Oh." What do you say to that load of garbage? The manger stated she understood if I didn't want to pay extra, and I replied that I certianly did not. Sydney immediately brought back a menu for me to look at, and the manager said to let her know if there was anything else and walked off. I ended up with a steak- a less expensive item at that. The steak was cooked perfectly and tasted good, the other components of the meal were average. Our server apologized again when she brought our check about the fish, again stating it was ridiculous and made no sense, and thanked me for being pleasant about it.

Because a manager chose to insult my intelligence and attempt to what I perceive as scam a customer, we spent less money than we would have, and at this time do not see ourselves visiting again in the future, especially with all of the wonderful establishments in the area that we frequent and have a clue about how to treat customers.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Outback is usually pretty good. This time the salad I ordered had scallions even though the menu did not disclose this. It was also not very tasty. I don't know if the lettuce was poor quality or what. This restaurant was also in a strip mall which was odd. The other businesses had no parking since Outback is so popular. I wish we had tried the noodle place instead.

Visited December 2012
Greenville, SC
“Always Consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

If you want a good steak, cooked right and great service stop by this outback. I have never had a bad meal here. At peak times there is a wait but you bar seating is first come first served. There are booths and since this is in the city no smoking.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canton
“even the limp salad sucks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

the blooming onion was overdone parts were burned,the steak was pan fried and did not taste like real steak disgusting,even the salad sucked limp with stale croutons
..I will never set foot in an Outback again,tried it once before und did not like it..just totally disgusting...I guess people who like Applebee's like Outback too .

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MARIETTA
“No supprises from this Outback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This resturant always seems to be busy. I am frequently alone and settle in at the bar. The service there is quick and effecient

Visited August 2011