“Poinsett Bridge” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Bridges
Attraction Details
“Poinsett Bridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very Beautiful Place. MUST VISIT. Lived here over 30 years this was my 1st visit. Will be going back. Regularly.

Mauldin, SC
6 attraction reviews
“Great piece of history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

If somebody were to build this bridge today, I would be impressed with the craftsmanship. This was built 200 YEARS AGO. I came here every year I went to Camp Old Indian (just up the road). The fact that it was built as part of a road to Asheville amazes me to this day. It is a nice little place for a picnic (bring bug spray), and you can fish on one of the branches of the Saluda River that are nearby. Just don't visit in the evening as it is supposedly haunted.

Visited June 2014
Liberty, South Carolina
“Great Piece of History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

It's a scenic ride through some lovely rural areas of Upstate SC and a fascinating piece of our history. The bridge is named for native South Carolinian Joel Poinsett, a member of the SC legislature and also the U.S. House of Representatives, and also the first U.S. Minister to Mexico. It was while he was in Mexico that he came across a beautiful flower known there as "Flor de Noche Buena," which means Christmas Eve flower. However, after Poinsett, an avid amateur botanist, sent samples of it home, it became widely known as the "poinsettias" that we know and love today at Christmas.

Visited July 2013
Metairie, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
“Amazing architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We crossed this bridge at least 15 times during our trip and was amazed each time. The architecture is amazing, the bridge blends in with the environment especially at night with it's soft lighting. A beautiful way to get a bird's eye view of the city

Visited March 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
“The Bridge and The Old Indian Trail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The bridge is where the biggest stream is in the area, so if you are hiking, this is the place to get wet. I walked the trails behind the bridge and got a good work out. It took about 4 hours and 4 miles to get to the end of the trail where there is a good view of the mountains. It was a well-earned view because the trail is fairly strenuous and my hip started hurting. The scout camp was deserted so I took the liberty of using the water, bathroom, and shower there. Which was great! I didn't have to wait to get back to base to drink some water. It's comforting to be out in nature this time of year as long as the horseflies aren't chasing me. I slapped my shirt over my head to get rid of them.

Visited May 2014