“I got a gift certificate and it still sucked.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #463 of 761 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Sushi
Greenville, South Carolina
“I got a gift certificate and it still sucked.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Terrible. It will likely be closed by the time you read this. I don't know anyone that enjoyed eating here. Don't make the mistake of eating here. If you have a gift certificate use it on drinks and never come back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Simpsonville, South Carolina
“The absolute worst. Believe the bad reviews.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I used a groupon for this restaurant. Worst. Experience. Ever. The hostess was pulling double duty trying to seat people and clean tables. When we got there the place was half empty, but we still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. Once we got seated and ordered our food it got even worse from there. The miso soup was nothing but pure soy sauce. My wife got the salt block item which was okay, but had to wait 20 minutes before it came out. The sushi? Forget about it. We sat upstairs right across from the sushi bar where they were making it. There was a table directly to the right of the bar where for some reason they were sitting all the sushi that they had made. The table stayed full. Apparently the wait staff cannot do two things at once. I cannot count the times our waiter walked by that table. When they finally decided to stop and get our sushi, the deep fried rolls were cold, the ice in the cup of one of our low fat rolls (no rice on the roll) was almost completely melted. One of the cooks from the kitchen came out to place a completed roll on the table and seeing that it was completely full proceeded to berate one of the wait staff. This place can not fail soon enough. This is also causing me to pause before purchasing a groupon/living social. Some of these places are just awful, hence why they are on these deal sites. I was hoping that Red Fin would have seen the reviews on this and other websites and hopefully corrected their ways. This is one reason why I waited until 2 days before the goupon expired to use the coupon. I was hoping it would be an okay experience. I was wrong. So very wrong.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Easley, South Carolina
“Great sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The atmosphere is really cool and the sushi was fantastic! My only complaint would be that out particular waiter was not so great. The rest of the staff seemed really good...guess we just got the bad apple. We took our 2 year old with us and there are no kids options. They made us a pay full price for a plate of fried shrimp when I asked for grilled or sauteed. However, I will return with no kids!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Pretty Bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I just got married in July and are trying to check out the restaurant scene in downtown Greenville. We bought a Groupon for Red Fin Sushi, and went on a Wednesday evening to try it out.
The sushi was just "ok" but the service is what shocked me. It was incredibly slow and when we paid she actually came back to the table and said "Unfortunately Groupon doesn't include gratuity." I was and still am in SHOCK! I waited tables for years in college and part time in my first few years at teaching and yes, there were times that I was jipped (sometimes by a coupon user) but to actually SAY something to a patron about tipping as I gave them the bill...that has to be the tackiest thing I have ever experienced.
Because of this and the fact that the food wasn't really great...I will not go back.
And just for the record, I always tip very well...especially when using a coupon.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Greenville SC
“Never again. Red Fin.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

After 2 visits here is my conclusion. Service is poor. Server is not trained or does not care about explaining the whole cooking on a salt block idea. A least tell people that it (salt block) cools quickly and explain that you need to move your food around to prevent it from sticking. I did meet one of the managers who smelled like he had smoked 10 packs of cigarettes in a small room within the hour. I wished him luck with this concept. He then sat at the bar drinking with what looked like an employee who was off duty. Not a good impression on a first visit but I told myself I would try it again.

On my second trip I had stuff floating in my saki. I asked about it I was told it was unfiltered saki. I called BS and said that it was the same stuff other places in town were using and that the machine and or pots were dirty. The manager conceded.

I then ordered 8 pieces of sushi that had I not been starving I would not have eaten. I have no idea why I ate it other than that fact and I worried later if I was going to get sick. Having at this point only had one glass of water that remained empty after asking the server to refill it I gave up. I stood up and went to him and asked for the check, when it arrived it was $50 for my eight pieces of sushi (NOTHING EXOTIC). This was around 1:30 in the afternoon I think. I told him to bring me back and itemized bill as I wanted to see how an 8 piece lunch with water turned into a $50 lunch. He said he COULD NOT have it itemized. Once again I called BS. The manager came to me and said that the computers had changed over to dinner prices and he would just give me 1/2 off my bill and that would be what it would cost. I did not feel like calling BS again so I put $25 in the folder and handed it to him and told him NO TIP was included and I want him (manager) to know it.

I looked on the menu and after adding it up I think it was still under $25 but I gotten tired and was up with them by now. I think at $25 it $2-3 to high.

I don't like restaurant personal to smell. I was talking this morning with someone who also pointed out to me how bad the manager smells. This should NEVER be happening in that business.

I don't like anyone trying to BS about the saki, bills etc. You customers know when you are not telling the truth.

Management apart from smelling bad should not be sitting at the bar drinking when the floor is busy.

Management should also find somewhere else to smoke and hangout with friend other than the bench in front of the place. It is unappealing to smelling up the entrance to YOU OWN ESTABLISHMENT.

In full disclosure I smoke cigars and am tolerant of the smoke smell and would not complain unless it was absolutely ridiculous.

Red Fin does not deserve even one star on yelp. I think this is the FIRST place I have ever walked out of without tipping a least 20%\

I can't bring myself to try it again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere