“Simple, tasty, fresh Vietnamese” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 754 restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Atlanta, Georgia
“Simple, tasty, fresh Vietnamese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

They grow their greens in their backyard so if you ask for Pho you get the freshest basil and mint! Also recommended are the Duck bun.

• Visited July 2013

88% Recommend
Greer, SC
“Really wish it had been good, but it wasn't”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

In fairness, this was my husband's and my first experience with Vietnamese food. We love other Asian cuisines, and so really wanted to try Vietnamese. Reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp were generally positive, some even glowing, so we figured Mekong was the place to go. We were quite disappointed. We had a spring roll appetizer (came with peanut sauce) that had cold pork (not well trimmed ) and shrimp mixed with come cucumber and mint in a very gelatinous roll - not appetizing at all. For my entree I had a spicy garlic shrimp dish supposedly with jasmine rice (seemed more like conventional sticky rice) and some super salty pickled carrots and Chinese radish, some raw cucumber, and broccoli. It was accompanied by a fish soup that was, to my taste, unpalatable. The shrimp (and the sauce they were in) were actually very tasty, even if quite small. My husband had pho, a very large bowl of broth with rice vermicelli and shaved slices of tasteless boiled beef; this was accompanied by a plate of bean sprouts. He said if he didn't KNOW it was beef, he would not know what kind of meat it actually was. He decided to try dessert, which was a rice and taro pudding covered in coconut cream. It was gray and unappetizing to the eye; my husband said it was mushy and really sweet. I have to agree with the other reviewer who said the restaurant was dirty. The metal storage caddy on the table was covered in sauce and other debris and the wall and railing next to our table clearly haven't been cleaned in a while. I can't say the entire place was dirty, since I didn't make a reconnaissance, but our immediate area was. I do have to say the staff we met were very nice and accommodating - that was the only plus.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Greenwood, South Carolina
“Our Go To Spot For A Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mekong can't be bested for good, reliable, quality Vietnamese in G'Ville. We usually have one of the Pho choices and a vermicelli dish. Service is friendly and prompt. Someone in the kitchen knows what's up!!!!

Greenville, South Carolina
“The best Pho in Greenville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have trip every Vietnamese place in Greenville (that I know of) and MeKong is by far the best. The owners grow their own chili's in the back of the restaurant in season, and when you ask for 10 spicy, its really spicy and delicious. Supposedly ghost chili's are in the works for this spring so be careful =). Good prices and friendly staff, simply- it's the best vietnamese in Greenville.

Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband had been craving some pho for quite a while and found this place when searching for something authentic. Well, although he said his pho was wonderful, I had some major problems with our dining experience. First, though I noticed one reviewer commented that the place was clean, it certainly was not on the day we visited. The floors were filthy, the table looked like it hadn't been wiped down, all the condiments and whatnot on the table were crusty and gross, and there was something sticky on one of our chairs. So, I already felt a little nasty as soon as we were seated, but I tried to just make the best of it. I have to say that my dish (lemongrass chicken) was pretty good too, until I came across some sort of hair in it (looked like an eyebrow). That sent me over the edge. Even if food tastes good, I like to feel like it's being made in sanitary conditions.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere