“Surprisingly nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Greenville
North Carolina
“Surprisingly nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed there booked as a group. As SOON as we drove up my family wasn't sure about staying there. It had the "motel" drive up to your room look & we were concerned. The place had a historic look & we aren't used to that because we always stay at chain hotels. Surprisingly, when we got in the lobby it was nice & clean-- with an antique look. The staff was very friendly & allowed me to look at the room before we paid. The room was the same size as many of the chains & everything was clean & neat. I didn't like driving up to my door but for a weekend stay, it was really pleasant. The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool & the men went to the bar for happy hour. There was a grape vine for picking fresh grapes & a beautiful atmosphere. The breakfast buffet was EXCELLENT. If you are into historic hotels then this is the place for you. Not really my style but for the stay-- I think the Phoenix was alright.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We used the Phoenix as our headquarters hotel for a family wedding and were please by the charm of the property and the attention from the owners. Over the years it has become the hotel of choice for our family as we congregate in the courtyard by the pool and visit in a residential setting.

Room Tip: Choose a poolside room at ground level if you are meeting friends
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
LizPhoenixInn, Guest Services Representative at The Phoenix, Greenville's Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
It's such a genuine compliment to have locals referring us to their friends and family! Thank you very much.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Even though I'm a "local"...I spent the weekend @ The Phoenix in Greenville, South Carolina and was very impressed. The facility gave us an early check-in on Saturday and a late check-out on Sunday. The room was very nice and we were by poolside. The pool was great w/ many lounge chairs and music.

Saturday night the inn bar had Shag dancing and Sunday morning we had a nice breakfast in the restaurant.

I highly recommend The Phoenix Inn in Greenville, South Carolina and hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
The Phoenix is such a nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of life! We're glad you were able to relax and enjoy a weekend with us. Shag dancing is something that we certainly do well here, you'll have to come back every Wednesday night for more!
Everglades City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a great time at The Phoenix for our little long weekend getaway from Atlanta. We stayed in one of the poolside suites which was great! More than enough room for just the two of us. The king size, four poster bed was very comfortable. The Phoenix is close to downtown and very quiet. We walked to the Irish Pub which is right next door and a cool local watering hole.

The Phoenix is right down the street from the general aviation terminal at Greenville-Downtown Airport (KGMU). Excellent location an overnight.

The Phoenix is locally owned and operated, not a big corporate chain.

Highly recommend. We'll be back.

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are very nice. The gardens and courtyard around the pool are beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This place was marketed as a charming "inn" and many Trip Advisor reviews somehow support this claim. In truth, it is a filthy motel reminiscent of the Bates Motel in the Alfred Hitchcock movie Psycho.

The facility is located on a commercial strip replete with gas stations and truck stops. Rooms are accessed through outside doors facing a dimly lit parking lot. The staff is amateurish and as dim as the parking lot itself. Tellingly, there was not a manager on-site in the evening when we arrived.

I was aghast when we arrived and would never stay at a place like this; and indeed, I cancelled my reservation promptly. I genuinely felt unsafe and would not even feel comfortable leaving my Mercedes sports car in the parking lot.

I informed the hotel clerk that we wanted to cancel our reservation, but she insisted that we pay full freight even though the parking lot was desolate. During the conversation she rolled her eyes like a petulant child. (Over her shoulder I could see that the lobby carpet behind the desk was so filthy that I could not imagine sleeping there.) After arguing with the manager on the phone, he agreed to not charge me, but when I thanked him he told me don't bother. I have never been treated this way by hotel staff. Ever.

Gratefully, we were able to obtain a last minute reservation at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. The Westin Poinsett was booked. The Hyatt staff was extremely courteous, welcoming, and sympathetic to our experience.

The Hyatt, Westin, and various other hotels are conveniently located on Main Street and near the West End. We had a wonderful evening and morning walk in this charming town. We were so thankful to have averted the horror that befell us on arrival at The Phoenix Greenville's Inn.

The cost of the hotels in downtown Greenville are not demonstrably different, but are a world apart. Enjoy Greenville. Stay away from The Phoenix Greenville's Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a hidden gem. No, the rooms aren't giant or artfully appointed, but the beds are comfortable, everything is clean and the food is great at the adjoining restaurants. Some may not like the motel style rooms, that open to the parking lot rather than a hallway, but it was perfect for me, allowing us to load and unload equipment from our trucks and fill coolers easily from the ice machines. Staff is always helpful and the included breakfast is amazing. When they don't have high volume you can basically order anything you can think of from the chef... he'll bring piles of sausages, biscuits, potato, eggs, waffles, whatever you want.

For the price and location, it hits the spot. I'll be headed back there later this week. :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We were in Greenville,SC for a family reunion and weekend get together. The Phoenix was the perfect place and they were so accomodating. We had so much fun sitting around the pool and we had a wonderful dinner inside prepared by their chef. We all agreed that we cannot wait to get back to Greenville and The Phoenix.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Phoenix, Greenville's Inn? Share your experiences!