“Great Service, Good Food, WAY overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

(864) 250-1300
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great Service, Good Food, WAY overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Ok, so the title pretty much sums this place up.
My husband and I visited Cantinflas on Friday evening. We were greeted and seated immediately. I ordered a house margarita and he ordered a beer. The margarita was not bad...in fact, it was a decent margarita (but nothing above and beyond) and the beer was, well, a beer.
We ordered a side of guacamole with the chips and it was very good...but it came in a small saucer the size of the salsa container and they charged $8 for it!
My husband and I both ordered fajitas and once again...they were good. The food was pretty standard Mexican food, which i appreciate.
Here's the kicker, the bill was $62...for what would cost around $30 at any other Mexican restaurant. I get that we were downtown, but if the cost is going to be double, then the food should stand apart from the average Mexican fare...and this just doesn't.

I enjoyed the meal and had great service, but the outrageous price keeps me from giving it a four star.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Laurens, South Carolina
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant is close to the Peace Center, so we like it for a before-theater supper. It has a cozy, relaxed atmosphere with soccer on the television. The fajitas are good as are the chips and salsa. Staff is very friendly and attentive. Although they do seem a bit disorganized at times (our waiter wasn't the one who actually took our order, for instance), we've always gotten our meal in a timely fashion and have never wanted for drink refills, salsa, or chips.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Blah...in Greenville”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is in Greenville, SC not Greeleyville. The incorrect address should give you a heads up to stay away. We went on a Friday night about 8pm (the place closes at 9 pm). The service was poor...it seemed they were more interested in completing the closing cleaning duties than care for their customers. We had to ask for silverware, napkins and refills multiple times.

The food lacked flavor and was smothered in queso (a sure sign the place is trying to add some flavor to their food). The salsa was the consistency of soup broth and wreaked of Tabasco sauce. My fajita was extremely greasy.

“Total Mexican experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The quality and authenticity of the food was only outdone by the impeccable service by Guillermo. He made sure I had the desired heat level for my salsa, offering me 3 choices. Everything was cleared from my table immediately after it was done being used. Courtious and friendly.
The atmosphere is wonderful, a lot of thought and effort went into the decor and the table treatments. Authentic music played at a perfect volume.
The food was fresh and delicious. What more can I say. A most positive experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Overpriced and bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

So, 8 dollars for a small bowl of guacamole? I will admit that it was good guac, but not wiorth 8 bucks. I got shrimp fajitas for 16 dollars and, though fresh, it was quite flavorless. It was like they didn't even season it with salt and pepper, muich less add some garlic in there.. My son got what they referred to as a ribeye, which came with "mexican fries" and a chese and onion enchilada mole. The ribeye was thin and very difficult to eat, you realaly couldn't tell what was fat and what was meat, and ther was a lot of fat. The enchilada was - as my fajitas - bland and the "mexican fries" came straight from a frozen food bag. They were just crinkle cut potatoes..
So, given the numerous choices of great downtown restaurants, and the plethora of great mexican food just outside of town, I wonder why anyone would go here.. I don't mind paying premium price for top quality, but 60 bucks for dinner for two without booze or dessert and it was not good. OUCH! Do not recommend at all...

• Visited February 2013