“Very enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 60 Restaurants in Georgetown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Jekyll Island, Georgia
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stopped here on the first day of our vacation. Very good food and service. Shrimp and Grits were great, and that is coming from someone who lives on an island that has a Shrimp and Grits Festival every September. Very nice view and the decor was enjoyable. Will stop in again when we are up that way.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Greer, South Carolina
“Very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

cheryl, my wife and I had lunch there this last March and I had the seafood platter. One of the best plates anywhere. We will return.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Missouri
“Southern seafood by the water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We went with friends as a party of four. The restaurant is nice inside. We left the young ones at home as my friends had been there before and knew it was not really for kids. We enjoyed the atmosphere by the water. The service was just ok. The rolls were just ok and salads were typical greens ,a cherry tomato,cucumber slices..nothing special . I ordered shrimp and grits with ham. I had to try it. It was yummy ,albeit slightly greasy. I expected that when you have grits,shrimp with sausage and ham sauce...very filling. My husband had steak and he said it was pretty good steak for the area.( we are from Midwest and nothing beats our home turf steaks) both our friends had scallops and I think clams on Alfredo noodles, maybe clam sauce. They raved about them..they said they were craving them and had them before.
Over all, I think all the meals were enjoyed, and everyone left full..a little pricey ,but I prefer to pay for a good meal, and get it than to waste good money on a bad meal...

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Consistently good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Good food, well prepared, good value, well managed, waterfront.

Visited June 2012
, Owner at River Room, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thanks for your review and for being a regular guest here at the River Room.
Harrisburg, North Carolina
“Excellent Seafood-Great Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I chose the River Room for dinner in Georgetown. The restaurant is located on the new Boardwalk in the Historic District.
I ate there on a Monday night in June and the restaurant was about half full.
The salad was fresh and good and I had the Carolina Grouper (citrus mojo style) with new potatoes and steamed vegetables. Portions were large and everything was good. The Grouper was cooked properly and tasty.
Dinner with water to drink was about $22 with tip.

I would definitely go back.

• Visited June 2012