“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 activities in Georgetown
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This is a shelling and lighthouse tour
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I actually live in Myrtle Beach but my mother was visiting from Washington state and had wanted to see some lighthouses while she was here. There are not many in my area and I didn't know where to start. I saw a flyer for the Rover Tours and saw that it also featured good shell hunting, another thing my mother had expressed an interest in. That was last May. We had an absolutely fabulous time, the highlight of my mothers visit. So good in fact, that my mother bought my husband and I a gift certificate for our anniversary which we used this past weekend during my mothers yearly visit. Again, fabulous time! John, the captain, heard me say that I wanted to see dolphins and so made an extra loop through an area where he knew they like to feed, just to accommodate me, and Dan, the guide was informative and entertaining, as before. My mother found some awesome seashells and I got some fabulous photos, a serious hobby of mine. We will definitely do this again. It's becoming a tradition!

Visited April 2013

Dexter, Missouri, United States
“Do NOT book with this boat!!!! You WILL be SORRY!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I called to book the shell island/lighthouse trip on Monday evening for a 1 pm departure on Tuesday. My husband and I drove 30 to 45 minutes from our condo in Garden City Beach. We arrived in Georgetown early so we could eat lunch before heading out on the boat. While we were eating lunch I received a phone call at 11:30 am (1 HOUR BEFORE BOARDING TIME) to let me know THEY WERE CANCELLING OUR TRIP because they only needed 4 more people to make a full trip (they could have gotten those other 4 at the harbor because I witnessed at least 4 people trying to go on the other boat that was sold out). They offered to put me on the next trip on Wednesday, but we were leaving to go home on Wednesday and who knows if they would have actually went out then based on what the local people told us. I was VERY UPSET and told her we drove down there just for that trip. She offered a 10% discount at a few restaurants (like that would make it all ok) if we wanted to eat lunch, but we were already eating and the restaurant we were at did not give their discount. Every local person we spoke with did not have anything good to say about how they run their business and that THEY CANCEL ALL THE TIME. We found Cap'n Rod's ticket booth and they were completely booked up, but told us to wait to see if someone cancelled, so we hung out there until 1pm and luckily there were 2 people that did not show so we were able to take their tour. While we were waiting there were at least 4 others looking to go on the boat tour, but there was no more room. So if this boat had kept its scheduled tour they would have been able to get the 4 other people on the spot at the harbor This is a POORLY ran Operation in my opinion. CAROLINA ROVER TOURS RUINED MY VACATION, but thankfully Cap'n Rod tours was able to save it!! GO ON CAP'N ROD'S LOWCOUNTRY TOURS IF YOU WANT AN AWESOME TRIP THAT IS 4 HOURS LONG AND FILLED WITH LOTS OF HISTORY FOR A LOWER PRICE!!!!!!!!!

Visited April 2013
tjwalter, Owner at Rover Boat Tours - Carolina Rover, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Ms. Rhodes,
We are terribly sorry that you did not have a good experience with our company, but you seem to have some misunderstanding of the situation we faced that day. On the morning of your scheduled trip, we had 12 people booked. Two hours before the scheduled departure
time, a party of 7 called and canceled their reservation. That left only 5 people booked. With two hours left before departure, we had to make a go/no go decision at that time. If we went with only 5 people on board, the revenue would not even pay for the fuel, much less the payroll for the crew. We decided to call the 2 parties still booked to advise them that we would not be making the trip that day and to offer them free tickets for the trip the next day. The other party was very gracious and accepted our offer. I don’t know who you talked to, other than our competitor, but we hate to and very rarely cancel a trip because of too few people booked. If the party of 7 had not called to cancel but just did not show up, as frequently happens, our
policy is that we would have made the trip anyway because we would have been unable to notify the other passengers in time. Again, we are sorry for the bad experience you had, and sincerely apologize.
“Best family tour we have ever done.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This tour is a great value and wonderful family adventure. My 4 year daughter even had a great time and is still talking about the tour and our guide William. And there were plenty of shells to be had when we arrived at the island. On our way out to the island, we came across a young dolphin and it's mother just after we sighted a wild pig on the shoreline and on our way back we saw 5 bald eagles. This tour was worth every penny.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
“Memories for a life time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We picked a boat ride to take our 3 year old grandson on and could not have been more happy with the tour and the staff. We had such a great time the first time that we went on another ride 2 weeks later. We will have memories for a life time that no one can ever take away. The first ride we saw dolphins up close and watched them play for awhile. This is the one thing we have done that our grandson does not stop talking about. Thanks to the staff and especially the crew for creating the unforgettable memories.
Melissa & Al
Myrtle Beach, SC

Visited October 2012
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States
“We had a great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

So glad we took this tour! It was a highlight of the trip for us. It was kind of a long ride out and back from the island, and the boat doesn't move along very fast, but luckily Will did an awesome job keeping us entertained with history lessons, seashell information, ghost stories, and dolphin sightings. They even handed out nice warm blankets when the temp dropped a little. The only down side is you only have an hour on the island. We didn't even make it to the "point" where some of the others made it. You have to move quick, and you have to go a little deeper than they tell you to in order to find better shells. Don't expect to find bright, shiny, perfect shells or you'll be disappointed. We found LOTS of shells, some chipped, some with holes, etc. Most of the cool little shells had crabs living in them, so we let them go. We found about 20 starfish and I made a little "pile" to take pictures. I regret this because others came through after us, found them, and took them home (they were still alive). Overall this was an amazing trip for us and we will definitely do it again!

Visited September 2012