“This is one we will do again” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greeneville, Tennessee, United States
10 attraction reviews
“This is one we will do again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The tour was great. Cap'n Rod really knows his history of the place, having grown up nearby. The large pontoon like boat was plenty comfy and he even had snacks and drinks. He was a wonderful tour guide. He and his wife are both very friendly, open, helpful, and accommodating. Even when a couple and their kids were running late. He goes out with the tide and makes sure we see everything we can and still make the island at its best point. Yesterday there were storms cropping up, but we managed to miss them all. We saw hermit crabs and regular live crabs and dolphins and alligators ... the views were beautiful. We'll go again now that we know a little better what we're doing! But we'll look for Cap'n Rod because he cares deeply about the area and its conservation and its history.

Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Beautiful way to spend a morning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our family came down this morning for e shelling tour. We had a great time and found lots of great shells. Our crew was awesome and we learned a lot about the area. My kids don't like it when I try to include history on our vacations but they said it was actually fun and they didn't mind learning things. In addition to shells, we saw gators, dolphins, and wild pigs. The captain even talked about the history behind my favorite movie "The Patriot". We all enjoyed it! Thanks for a great day!

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
“All-Around Excellent Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a GREAT time! Looking for something to do for my birthday this past Wednesday, July 10th, my wife picked up the advertisement for Cap'n Rod's Tour from the hotel lobby. My first thought was Cap'n Rod looks like a funny guy (White Captain's shirt and hat, beard and pipe). Then I called to make a reservation, and Cap'n Rod answered. I'm from NJ but I love The South, and Cap'n Rod had a great thick Southern accent. I was looking for a tour on Friday or Saturday, but he was all booked up (so call early to book your tour!) but he told me he did have an opening on Thursday for a combo tour, both the Plantation River Tour AND the Shell Island Lighthouse Tour both in one trip for the same low price! That sounded good so I booked it. So the next day my wife and I drove the 45 minutes or so from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown, easily found the check-in booth at the pier behind the town clock, and had a few minutes to kill since we were a little early. We went into an open-air bar right behind Cap'n Rod's boat (I don't remember the name of the bar) and had a great local beer and a cup of soup. So when all the other passengers arrived, we boarded, and right away Cap'n Rod started with the jokes and anecdotes in that great Southern accent. I loved it. Now he's not just a goofy nutcase, as soon as the boat started moving he started throwing out bits of knowledge about this and that, local history, Civil War history (I'm a Civil War buff), and wildlife info. He does talk quite a bit, but it's all pertinent information regarding what you can see, what happened where you are, and what's going on that you would never know about otherwise... all very good information. He has a lot to say only because there is SO MUCH to see. Not once did I think, "Man, I wish this guy would shut up", even though he pretty much never did. Which is rare for me, so I know what he was saying was good stuff. Other people have commented that he was very opinionated about other people's money in the area, but I completely disagree. He only stated facts and let you form your own opinion. SO anyway, we saw lots of old plantation houses, sunken ships, alligators, wild pigs, the lighthouse, Shell Island, deer, dolphins, lots of birds, areas where movies were filmed, and so much more. This tour truly was worth EVERY PENNY at just $32 a person for about 4 hours. 4 hours is a long time you say? Don't worry, very clean restrooms are on board. There are also snacks and drinks available on board for just $1 each, and Cap'n Rod donates all the profits to local orphans, as well as his tips.
SERIOUSLY... DO NOT MISS THIS TOUR. If you're going to do anything in the Georgetown area, DO THIS.
-Mike and Trish Vidal
Point Pleasant NJ

Reisterstown, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful boat ride and history of the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were in Pawleys Island for a week's vacation and wanted to take a day to explore the area. Georgetown, SC is a cute town and we enjoyed our day's visit there. We started with a boat ride exploring the areas plantations with Cap'n Rod. He is very informed and an amusing guy. It was well worth the time and money for the tour.

Stafford, Virginia, United States
“One of the best things i've done in South Carolina.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a private boat ride with Cap'n Rod to Shell Island. The way out was really nice & very breezy on this hot day! Cap'n Rod knew what he was talking about with everything we saw, It was fun to hear all the history of Georgetown & the Plantations. We landed at Shell Island at the perfect time for low tide & found a lot of wonderful shells. After that we got to go past the pretty Light house & hear all the history. We then went to the opposite shore & heard all the history of the plantations & pretty houses. We saw Bald Eagles, Great Herons, & plenty of gators. All in all it was one of the best tours I have had the pleasure to be on & would totally go on other ones. Make sure to bring a bucket to get shells & some bug spray! We didn't have bad bugs but apparently they get bad.