“Located right on the beach-very clean!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Atalaya Towers to your Saves list
Atalaya Towers
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   912 North Waccamaw Drive, Garden City Beach, SC   |
Halifax, Canada
“Located right on the beach-very clean!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We spent a week at the Atalaya Towers and were a bit concerned after we booked our condo through RCI for the week. Several reviews posted on tripadvisor were quite negative. We decided that since it was too late to change that we were going to make the most of it.

When we arrived the staff was very friendly and quite helpful. We entered out condo and were quite surprised to find such a nice accommodation. Apparently there had been some major renovations that had taken place. I seem to remember that someone had written a comment about security and how the magnetic cards were never changed. Good news the locks are now keyed. We felt completely safe.

All of their units are ocean front. Very easy access to the beach. Pool is open late and kept very clean (three of our children are lifeguards so they'd know). We only had access to the indoor pool as we were there in February and won't have wanted to use the outdoor pool. It was nice looking. The girls and my husband did go in the ocean-silly people!

You need to remember that you are not going to a brand new resort where everything is marble and shining. You're going to a condo complex that has been around for a few years and is a full time residence to some families. It's clean, in a great location, great kitchen with lots of dishes (bring your own frying pan-I bought one there) and if you're as lucky as we were you'll be able to see the dolphins morning swim a few meters off shore heading south between 8 and 10 am.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

We were robbed the first night we were there. Security at this place is TERRIBLE. The deadbolt lock didn't work with our key and we've learned that they usually don't. work on any of the units The "security" code is never changed which doesn't matter much because the ocean door is usually open because it doesn't shut correctly anyway or it gets propped open after office hours! The manager offered no help whatsoever and they took no responsibility for what happened. I don't mean that the theft happened, but that they didn't seem to care that it even happened !! Didn't WARN anyone else that was staying there either. I will never stay there again, our week was terrible, we felt unsafe the entire week. We were treated as if we were the problem.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — feeling unsafe
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greensboro NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

The hotel...for it's age, was pretty clean...

The wiew was breathtaking....it's definately right on the beach. I like how there is a balcony door off of the living room as well as the master bedroom.

When we went, we checked in late and there is absolutuly NO friendly Customer Service Going On Here... Since no one was in the office when we check in at 7pm, they had a lock box for us to get our keys etc.... We never did have any interaction with the hotel staff concerning our check in. We did have a lady stop by the room and ask how the room looked when we checked in.... that's about it. Oh..and they guy cleaning the floors was pleasant. Once more thing, when we called the after hour emergency phone, the guy named Chris was nice and helpful.

As for customer service, I had someone fax me something to the front desk and the lady that I spoke with was very rude...but I don't even think she knew how rude she was. She gave me the impression that she could not give me 10 seconds of her precious time to answer some of my questions.....she rushed me off the phone and was not pleasant a all. I asked when they would be closing that day and she said I'm trying to get out of here early today....and mumbled something else.... Humm..seems like if your hours say you are supposed to be open until a certain time, then you should be open at that time. Not when you feel like going home early. What kind of service is that?

The towels looked worn and like they needed to be replaced...
Thank goodness I brought my own towels...or maybe they were just very cheap towels. I used them for floor mats.

The beds felt just OK...the sheets were soft!

I just don't care for seeing rust, or seeing something that you can tell has been painted a million times.. My bathtub has soap scum still in it. It looked clean to the eye, but you could run your hand across the tup and feel the scum. Ewwweh. The bottom of the sink cabinet was coroded....and looked nasty. It gave me the creeps. Appears there was water damage and it messed up the base on both of the sinks.

The kitchen was very clean....thanks goodness!
The pool was nicely heated and the hot tub felt cool to touch, but once I got in, it felt great.

I dont' plan to stay here again, but I do recommed this hotel....it did have some bad points, but not enought to tell someone not to stay here. I 'm just expressing my opinion on my few days there. If you are used to 4 or 5 star hotels, then you may not enjoy this one.....i would give this hotel a 2 or 3 rating..mosly because of the customer service and the fact that it looks old and poorly renovated.

• Liked — the view from my room and the soft sheets!
  • Disliked — front desk service when I called them and poor renovation in some places.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

We stayed in the Penthouse condo. This is the only place to stay for an excellent vacation. These condos are rented out by Myrtle Beach Resort which is a few miles north and this is where you go first for these condos to get your key (not to the Atalaya unless you are staying in the lower floors).

The penthouse is on the 17th floor and there are 4 of them. Huge 3 bedroom/2 bath with living room, dining room, kitchen (all separate). Very large floorplan. Can watch the penguins fly right by your balcony and can almost touch them. The view of the ocean is breath-taking.

You are only 10 minutes from downtown Myrtle Beach and Broadway, if you really enjoy bumper to bumper traffic and tourist traps with limited $10 parking. We went there for a couple short outings and regretted it.

This isn't the simplest condo to find, so mapquest it to get directions. There certainly aren't restaurants next door, but hey, that's why it's a condo.

The tide comes within about 30 feet of the condos at night. This leaves plenty of room to roam the beach. During the day, the ocean is much further away. The life guards rent the beach umbrellas and you can rent for multiple days (e.g., 3 da. for $45). This is a real steal compared with other beach resorts.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

My family and I stay in Atalaya in the beginning of November. We were in a second floor end unit. The unit was quite nice and met all our needs. The water temp was in the 80s which was wonderful. I loved being in a complex that offer not only the ocean but an indoor and outdoor pool. From the balcony, high tides seemed to be close to the building and a little scary but we went down to the deck and we were surprised to see a completely different perspective. That alleviate my fears as a parent. It was actually an awesome sight to see. The community is a small beach community without the hussle and bustle of a tourist trap and the other guests were quite friendly. I felt comfortable having my children in this environment and when we wanted the tourist type activities - it wasn't far to get to them. My kids also loved the foot long corn dogs at the corner restaurant in Garden City!

• Stayed November 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2004

My family state here at Atalaya and had a wonderful vacation. It was quiet peaceful and relaxing. It was the first time I had my children at the ocean that I did not have to worry about their safety. Wonderful family atmosphere!! The unit was spacious and accomodated all our needs. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. My children (all under the age of 11) enjoyed the beach during the day, and the indoor and outdoor pools at night.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2004

My family has stayed at Atalaya Towers for two years. Everything is excellent except for checking-out. If you are on a top floor you can wait as much as an hour or two for an elavator to come to your floor.
We ended up taking our luggage down the stairs a piece at a time and it took us three hours to get on the road AFTER check-out time!!
Mysuggestion would be to staggercheck-out times by floor so not eveyone is leaving at the same time!? We love staying in Atalaya Towers every year but dread check-out day.

Been to Atalaya Towers? Share your experiences!