“One of the Best Vacations Ever!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Royal Garden Resort to your Saves list
Royal Garden Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1210 N. Waccamaw Dr., Garden City Beach, SC 29576   |
New York
“One of the Best Vacations Ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This summer our extended family decided to travel to the Myrtle beach area. A freind recommended Royal Garden Resort. WE had a great time! We rented 2 condos. Both were clean and updated. There was a Dunkin Donuts and food martket nearby ... the weather was warm and sunny. Golf was at a different course each day. We can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I stayed in Room 403 of the Royal Garden Resort for 3 nights with my husband. We made last minute reservations and had never been there before, so we didn't know what to expect, although we knew where the place was located. If staying in Garden City, this area is the best. It is close to "downtown" and the pier and grocery stores, and my favorite restaurant in the area (the Conch Cafe). The area is clean and quiet. We stayed in a one-bedroom unit, that had two full baths and a fold out couch, a washer and dryer and a fully equipped kitchen. Linens, towels, soap and toilet paper are provided, so all you need are your personal items and food. I would recommend paper towels and beach towels as well. The balconies are not huge, but spacious enough for 4 chairs, a small table and a lounge chair, and all rooms are fronting on the beach. The unit was VERY clean and had been appointed with a personal touch. While these types of units are not fancy or luxurious, this particular unit had been updated and freshly painted and tiled and was very open and comfortable. I could have used a king bed instead of a queen, but that was my only complaint about the unit itself.

The resort has a nice game room with pool tables, spacious elevators, an indoor pool, a large outdoor pool and easy access to the beach, literally steps away. There is ample, but tight, parking, and good security.

The place offers free wireless. It works, but it keeps cutting in and out, requiring logging on again. Cell phone reception is poor in the rooms.

My only gripe was the fact that we were told, after checking in, that we were required to pay a $75 cleaning fee. They wouldn't take American Express, which we had used to book the room; so we were forced to pay by check. Orbitz did not inform us of this additional charge. So beware!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We just spent a week at this condo and were very happy with our experience there. We rented # 1406 and it was exactly what we saw on the virtual tour online. The price was right and everyone was very friendly!! Beautiful view of the ocean! We will be back! Wanted to tell you about a restaurant that is just down the street from this condo called Gulfstream Cafe [--].....go for their early bird special at 4 pm daily (they get packed quickly)....we had the best filet mignon medallions /salad/veggie/potato/AND drink for 10.95...delicious - we found this place the last day we were there.....wished we had found it sooner --- GREAT RESTAURANT!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South of Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

This is the fifth time we have stayed at the Royal Garden and I have to say, it will probably have been our last. We arrived for our weeks stay with high hopes, as we had only minor issues in years past, but this unit was not what it should have been. The staff was fairly responsive, but it was slow... we had a problem with bed linens on our first night, but housekeeping was gone at 2, Check in was not until after 2 so I didn't see how that worked. The unit was not as clean as we had been used to, and the resort in general was not kept as nicely. Updates were ongoing but I was very disappointed. We love that area of the Beach, but won't be back to RGR.

• Liked — location and view
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

We rented room 1608 through Garden City Realty. What a great bunch of gals that works there. The manager had to come help us out with a minor problem......she was great! We had a penthouse 3 bedroom that slept 10. There were 3 bathrooms too. A total of 4 tv's. The suite looked like it had been remodeled, but the carpet looked old and the couch set needed to be recovered along with the comforters. When staying on the 16th floor you must have a key to use the elevator or the stairwell. This was a family vacation that we basically lived on the beach to relax. The pool was nice and cool which was refreshing after being in the very hot sun. Hope this review helps somebody!

Oh covered parking was a plus!
One of the jacuzzi's didn't work.

• Liked — Laid back feeling for the rest and relaxation we were looking for.
  • Disliked — Jacuzzi didn't work, elevator key to 16th floor was inconvinient. Carpet was stained. rust stains in kitchen sink
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

I just got back from the Royal Garden Resort in Garden City and will not be returning!!! The parking lot is horrible especially if you have an SUV or larger!! We rented fro Garden City Realty, and will not make the same mistake again!!!! We drove 12 hours and got to the rental office and had to wait another 45 minutes just to get the keys. Once we got to the condo #407 we found it had not been cleaned. There were pubic hairs on the bathroom floor and nothing had been wiped down. Our phone in the kitchen did not work and there was a huge stain on the carpet. I called the rental office and the lady told me that I could come and get a refund and go home. That was just perfect considering our drive and that I had my four month old daughter with me. In the meantime, we went and looked at other units in the building, they were going to move us. I saw 1212 (DUMP!), 610(DUMP!) and 408 which smelled like smoke. So after the cleaning crew came to our room, it was much more appealing. The condo itself is beautiful but the conditions were horrible. We had to spen one afternoon waiting for the carpet cleaners, one afternoon for the telephone company, and we spent two days without air conditioning. Fabulous. The rental office in the actual resort was very nice. The Garden City Realty office was not helpful and rude!!!
I will say that the indoor pools were nice to have. Old but nice. The outdoor pool is really nice. There are tons of sun chairs and there is plenty of room. The snack bar sells Chick-fil-a and great frozen drinks. There is very little beach if any at all during the day to lay out. Overall I would say go and stay here if you can rent a unit directly form the building but do not rent from Garden City Realty. They do not care about the customers or the units they rent.
I hope my information will be helpful.

• Liked — Location and view.
  • Disliked — The rental office Garden City Reatly is AWEFUL!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gail41, Vacation Rental Manager at Royal Garden Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2008
As Vacation Rental Manager I would like to first and foremost want anybody who reads this review that Garden City Realty is truly committed to making all of our guest as happy as humanly possible. We have been in business over 33 years. We always do our very best to satisfy all of our guests needs and wants to the best of our ability. In this particular situation this guest felt we did not and looking back at all of my notes from this guest, we did try very hard to take care of every complaint that the guest made. The first complaint of not being able to get into the property is because our check in time is 3:00 PM or "after" pending the condo is cleaned and inspected. Garden City Realty actually has one of the earliest check in times at the beach and the latest in check out times, we feel the sooner we can get our guests in, the quicker they can begin their vacation. If the guests do arrive early we unfortunately have to wait until we get the ok from our housekeeping department. Do to the guest waiting patiently we did allow her to go into the condo at 3:00 PM, her actual check in time was 3:03 PM per our computer records. Do to the high volume of properties many times the condo's at 3:00 PM are in line to be inspected. This particular building had just begun its inspections and we did advise guests who wanted to go into their condos at Royal Garden before inspections that should there be any problems when they get in to please call us and we would send someone immediately to take care of it. The guest did call us and immediately I sent the Director of housekeeping along with a few housekeepers to take care of any issues the guest had, normally the Director of Housekeeping does not go, however this guest seemed very upset and I felt it warranted her to go and speak to the renters in hopes of rectifying the complaint timely and efficiently. The Director of housekeeping was greeted by the guests father, whom pointed out the issues the daughter wanted taken care of, the Director and the cleaners took care of everything in a timely manner and proceeded to arrange for a carpet cleaning. It was stained in a few spots, but this is not uncommon in the summer months. We always will get carpet cleaners in when necessary, it is just impossible for all carpets to be cleaned on turnover Saturdays between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm. We do however always advise our guests that they do not have to wait for the cleaners nor do they have to stay in the property. The carpet cleaners we use have been in the Garden City Realty family and well respected in the area for many, many years and will go in and clean what they need to and leave in a very timely fashion.

Upon this guest arriving at the Royal Garden building, they were not happy that it was an older building. Each condo is individually owned and the building is older, but very functionable and clean. It is run by a separate property management company that also has been in the business for many, many years and they do their very best to keep it in good working condition. I offered the guest to look at other buildings, however I did not have anything available that had an indoor pool. She did however wish to look at other condo's in the Royal Garden Resort, the guest did not like the condo's I had available. It was at that point that I did offer a full refund to the guest as that was the only other option. I had gotten the original complaints taken care of, offered to move the guest to a comparable condo and all these options were not satisfactory to the guest, it is only at that point do I ever offer a refund. Many times when a guest is that unsatisfied they feel more comfortable going to a different area or rental company in hopes of finding something more accomodating to their needs and our goal is to satisfy the guest.

All of ours staff at Garden City Realty takes pride in our extensive experience in the Vacation Rental business and never want to have a guest have an unpleasant experience as this guest encountered. We take pride that the reservations office has over 75 years of combined experience and I although the guest was extremelty unhappy with our company, I can assure anybody wishing to stay or that has stayed with Garden City Realty that we did everything humanily possible to accomodate guests and make them as happy as possible. Unfortunately this guest felt that we had not and for that I sincerely apologize for the aggravation they experienced.
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

Our stay was just O.K. We observed and talked to many individuals using the facility who were not registered guests. Outside as well as inside pool area space and parking spaces were taken up by those people not staying at the resort. Our condo was in need of updating and the overall facility seemed to need some repairs.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Out of date facility
  • Tips/Secrets — Read reviews!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Royal Garden Resort? Share your experiences!