“The LAST RESORT....” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Resort   |   1012 N. Waccamaw Drive, Garden City Beach, SC 29576   |
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“The LAST RESORT....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

That's all I'll say. Make it your LAST resort. And whatever you do don't bring more than one vehicle. Even if there is 30 empty places, they will not give you an extra one. The ceiling over my shower had to be pushed back up into place. No batteries in any of the TV remotes. The inside pool is slimy. And the orange wrist bands to get in the pool is a joke.

• Stayed July 2014

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Corydon, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We have been regulars at Water's Edge for years. Larger than average living room and balconies with great views. The pools and spas are a real plus. We have stayed in many units but 207 is our all time favorite which we discovered listed on eBay for less than the front desk or realty companies. The Garden City section seems more family oriented than most of the Grand Strand.

Room Tip: stay on the lower floors and avoid the elevators during peak season
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Beckley, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

After traveling 8 hours to the Water's Edge, I was told that the the condo I had chosen to rent online (508) was not available. When I asked how this could be possible as I had a placed a deposit on the unit and had received a 3 night confirmation it, I was told that 508 was privately owned and that the owner had decided to let some of his friends use it during the period for which I had it rented! I was then told that I was being moved to a unit on the first floor (with a crummy view and where it seemed as though I was sharing my private balcony with the noisy crowd in the pool area. When I informed the desk clerk that the replacement condo was unacceptable, a higher level unit was offered that was only available for two nights--hence, my vacation was cut short due to this blatant failure to honor a contract.

• Stayed July 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Do not rent through anywhere but Dunes Realty. The rooms are much nicer and are updated. Room 209 was beautiful. We had everything we needed. The view and how close you are too the ocean is priceless! The only downside was that the pool was chilly. Other than that, we loved it!

Holton, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed in a beach front family unit with an amazing view. That is the only reason we didn't leave and no refunds. Started off with additional BS charges for linen service and towels that are the size of a wash cloth. Went to the beach and had a smart mouth lifeguard who spent more time chasing girls than anything else, not sure if he looked at the ocean. Be prepared to wash your own towels, they are not provided. Be ready to do a complete inventory on silverware with threats of additional charges if one is missing. The service was no where to be found and the only time I saw the advertised security was when they locked us out of the building because it was 11:01 PM. Had to walk all the way around the building and walk up the parking ramp to get back in. In general, hidden charges, no security, mouthy lifeguards and no service. I will NEVER come back.

Room Tip: Find another facility!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in unit 501 which was a gorgeous end unit on the 5th floor. It was perfect for the multiple couples that came and very comfortable and clean. The resort location and beach access was perfect for us. We arrived on a Thursday and stayed through Monday. The entire time we were there one of the elevators was intermittently broken. This was an inconvenience and being on the 5th floor made it difficult to get on the one that was working because most of the time it was full. We took the stairs most of the time, but needed the elevator for the luggage cart when we checked out. We had two very large items that could not be carried down from the 5th floor. One elevator was once again not working and we waited on the 5th floor for 40 minutes to get our belongings down and check out. We almost missed checkout time and when I arrived to the office to check out and explained what we just had experienced, I was met with total indifference!! I was told it was a property management issue and out of their control. I asked for a call from a manager, resort or property management, and have not received a call. What if we would have had someone handicapped with us? What if we would have had a flight to catch? The resort can be wonderful, but this was unacceptable in my eyes.

Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My family of seven and I stayed here for three nights this past weekend. I had originally booked a 3 bedroom condo in April through Bookit.com. I called the morning of our arrival day to ensure they had our reservation. When we arrived, there were two women at the registration desk. Neither were friendly. The one checking us in tried to tell me I had a $36 charge from the hotel for a $15 reservation fee and $5 per night linen fee (plus $1 a night telephone and hospitality fee which I was aware of). These charges were not stated on my Bookit.com receipt and after arguing with her for 10 minutes, she finally agreed to reverse the charges. I paid $6 instead of $36 like she said I owed. I had no problem paying the $6 I was aware of but I wasn't going to pay a "reservation fee" and "linen fee". We were also promised two free breakfasts per day and did not receive those either. After spending 20 minutes at registration arguing with staff, I really did not feel like arguing over breakfast. So we went to our room and noticed the a/c wasn't cooling. Luckily we had brought two fans with us. We immediately called the front desk and asked them to have someone come look at it. We were miserable that night and called the next morning only to be told that someone was on the way. About 10 AM a maintenance man came and looked at the a/c but said he had only been working there a few days and would have to get the a/c person to come look at it and that someone would call us back. Three hours later no one had called. We called repeatedly throughout the day on Friday and asked to speak to a manager. Finally an a/c company arrived at 5 on Friday and told us the a/c compressor was not coming on and they would have to drop the whole unit to look at it (which they could not do at the time) but they could get us a portable a/c unit. We still had not heard anything that night and went and bought an additional fan just to be able to stay in the condo that night. We called several times Friday night but were told that there was nothing they could do and they couldn't move us to another room because they were fully booked. So we spent another miserable night with no a/c and a fussy two year old who was aggravated from the heat. Saturday morning we called again and asked to speak to a manager and was told by "John" that no managers were on duty and that he had called and emailed them and hadn't received a response. We asked for a refund and were told they would refund one night for our inconvenience. Every staff member we talked to told us a different story and we got the run around. We were told we had to contact Bookit.com and we did. They were no help either and I still have not received my refund. I will be disputing these charges with my credit card company but just know that this is a old run down "resort" with the rudest staff ever. Don't stay here and if you do, you have been warned. WHEN you have an issue, it won't be resolved because apparently management doesn't ever respond or even come on the property. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Waters Edge Resort? Share your experiences!