“Nice place to visit on a relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 stars

You added Waters Edge Resort to your Saves list
Waters Edge Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   1012 N. Waccamaw Drive, Garden City Beach, SC 29576   |
Berlin, Connecticut
“Nice place to visit on a relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I just want to start off by saying that I stayed in Unit 1112 (which was a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath unit with a kitchen and a spacious family room). The units appeared to vary by owner and I'm not sure how nice all of the units are so beware...I got the feeling that some units were not nearly as nice as the one that we stayed in. All units in this complex feature a balcony facing out to the ocean...from our balcony, I saw dolphins on multiple occasions. The community aspects of this complex were fairly nice and clean. The outside pool and hot tub were considerably more appealing in terms of cleanliness than the indoor poor and hot tub. The location of this complex is probably a half mile to the pier where there is live music at night. I would definitely stay in this unit or another unit owned by Mel and Belinda because they really do take care of their property and make the unit feel welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Waters Edge was a bit of a mixed bag for our recent family trip. It was 2 adults and 6 kids ranging in age from 6 to 15. We booked room 1502 which was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, with 2 pull-out sofas.

The Good: The unit was clean and spacious. The pull-out sofas were fairly new, and the kids slept great on them. It was nicely decorated, but the kitchen was starting to show some age. There was plenty of room for everyone. The view was great, and the beach area in front of the hotel was very nice. The pool and spas were fine - as were the seating areas around them. It was a pretty easy walk to the Garden City pier - about 1/2 mile.

The Bad: Horrible smell in the parking deck. I finally concluded that it was related to the garbage chute collection container. Common areas (halls, snack shop, elevator wating areas) are well worn at best, really rough at worst. Waiting on the elevators was a huge pain on Sat and Sun - which i presume to be the busiest check-in, check-out days. The beach was bit crowded as there are a number of larger, multi-unit properties in that immediate area.

We had a good time, but I am on the fence about returning to this property. Unfortunately, there are not too many choices for partial week rentals in the Garden City/Surfside area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
White Plains, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The only good thing about staying here was the view. The problems started the second I got there. I couldn't even get into the room because the lock was broken. They told me to turn the key and push hard. When I did this, the door frame literallly moved - if I were stronger, I would have knocked the frame and door down! The paint was all chipped so I clearly wasn't the first person to have problems with the door. I was staying there by myself while visiting a friend in Garden City and was concerned about not having a working door lock. I went down to the office and asked them to change my room but they wouldn't. They sent the maintenance man up and he asked me to leave my key with him while he worked on the door. I didn't feel very good about doing that, but I felt like I had no choice. When I came back, the door was working and my belongings were all still there. Upon entering the room, I was extremely disappointed at how disgusting the room was. It smelled bad; the rugs were gross with stains and cigarette burns; the kitchen was dated and dirty. All the furniture was falling apart. The dresser drawers were broken in the bedroom; the kitchen cabinets were falling apart and the smaller bathroom door was cracked on the bottom and wouldn't close all the way. The livingroom drapes were dingy and broken at one end. Then, when I went to go to bed, there was only a sheet on the top matress, not the box spring. Both must have been 30 or 40 years old. Stained and worn; sunken and uncomfortable. The pillowcases were so thin, I could read the room number written in magic marker on the pillows through them. As if that wasn't bad enough, there was a loud,clanging noise that went on all night long. I ended up sleeping on the couch on the living room every night. It was awful and I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Caledonia, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We had to find on short notice a place to stay in South Carolina. We drove from Florida that day and I managed to locate the Waters Edge while my husband drove. I didn't have near the time, or energy to research our stay as I normally do. I heavily relied on the experiences from others on tripadvisor. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, oceanfront, fully equipped condo. Upon our arrival at 2 am I was really disappointed by the inital room. It was gross (room 402) and made my skin crawl. I figured I would deal with it after some sleep. When I woke up @ 9am I went to the lobby and politley pointed out my disgust. John was so nice that he let me look at other rooms and credited us the night. I picked out room 1411 and it was so much cleaner and nicer. The only negative comment about this room was the outdated tv's. Seriously if thats the only complaint, then I consider myself lucky. We weren't in the room except at bedtime to even turn the tvs on. We had a great time. The pool was fine, the hot tub didn't work well and was pretty sandy, but that wasn't all that important. The ocean was awesome. This is out second vacay in South Carolina and could really see us doing a timeshare. We love it. Hope this helps in your vacay planning.

Room Tip: Ask to see them first if you are dissatisfied with the inital room.
Beavercreek, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We chose to take a weeks trip to Garden City and stay at Waters Edge on the recommendation of a friend and his experience. We rented a 2 bedroom for 7 nights and were very impressed with the unit we were given. All of the units are privately owned and are rented out and maintained by a property management company. We had stayed at a similar place in Hilton Head the year prior and had a very bad experience with the unit we rented. To put it simply it was a dump, and we were somewhat hesitant to end up in the same situation on our very next vacation. The unit we stayed in was recently renovated and was in excellent condition. It was also cleaned very well after the previous people checked out, foors were spotless, all appliances and kitchen ware were clean, and bathrooms were in great shape.

My quick summary of the positives and negatives.

Positives : Units are spacious and have everything you need for an extended stay with the exception of food.
The setup with an indoor and outdoor pool right on the beach is fantastic.
The bar is nice if you want to stop by and have a drink or shot.
The restaraunt is really good as well, youre not going to get fine dining but they have great burgers, fries and finger food that is great for a quick snack while hanging out on the beach or by the pool.
And a well stocked convenience store for items that are urgent. I wouldnt use it as my main source shopping spot, but they have some great beach items and some necessities should you run out and dont feel like getting in the car and driving to a store.

Negatives :
The building is older and with that age there is some need for updates and regular maintenance.
The only reason I did not give a rating of 5 to waters edge is that they need to do some serious cleaning to the 2 stairwells. A large amount of bleach needs to be applied to the walls and floors of each stairwell and scrubbed extensively before being washed down. They smell AWFUL!!
A bit more attention given to regular cleaning of each units entryway area would be nice as well.
The building is 15 stories tall, however only has 2 elevators. Not much that they can do about it, however they definitely need to spend some money to have regular maintenance done to keep them working. There were about 15 of us all together staying here and a group of 6 or so got stuck in one of the elevators for 5 - 10 minutes. And one of the elevators was out for most of one of the days we were there as well. Luckily we were on the 6th floor so not a huge deal for us to walk up the stairs to our room, not so good if you are in one of the upper floors.

For us the positives far outweigh the negatives, we decided while we were there that we would be going back again next year and staying at Waters Edge. A great location, very family friendly, lots to do close by, and again the setup by the pool is just great since we spend the vast majority of our week hanging out in that area.

Cant wait to go back!
Cheers

penrose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just returned from our visit. The room was nice but as many others said, it was outdated. We found our room to be clean but the sofas were very worn out, and one wouldn't fold back up. Walking around in the room made our feet black which says how dirty the carpet was. It was equiped with a washer and dryer but no detergent so if you go, bring your OWN, because they will not provide it for you. We had asked for additional towels, which we were declined because as we were told, we had a washer and dryer in our room and needed to wash our own. Sooo if you go with this resort, take detergent or additional towels of your own. Also take dish washing detergent, I didn't think about that when we went but did end up needing it. The water pressure was pretty good considering each room had its own hot water heater. The view was amazing. As for all the noise complaints, we didn't have much noise but I was surprised by all the fireworks on the beach EACH night, so having my 1 year old trying to sleep that was kind of annoying at midnight with them still going off right off of our balony. But they were very nice. It wasn't the hotel that did them but random guess. The beach access was perfect, so was the pool and the area around the pool. I was annoyed by the pool guy, because he was the arm band nazi, you have to wear the armbands they provide to be at the pool, but wouldnt say anything to the annoying kids who kept hitting people with a rubber ball and had no parental supervision. The mini mart down below was well stocked with the necessities and snacks and such. The bar was low key and kinda high priced, $8 for a strawberry daiqurie which had stock liquiour. Everyone was very friendly for the most part. We had 7 people in our party, 2 adults, 14, 12, 8, 4 and 1 year olds. The kids had an absolute blast being able to go between the pool and beach with no walking distance inbetween. We loved it too because we were constantly going back and forth. The kids did say that the couch bed were hard but what sofa bed isnt?!?

Room Tip: Bring your own towels, dish detergent, and laundry detergent. Stay halfway up, say the 10th floor, t...
Canandaigua, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We traveled from New York. On our last night, which was a Friday, we decided we wanted to have a couple of drinks. We went down to the bar at 10pm and it was closing!!! Come on a bar on the beach, on a Friday night closing at 10pm!!!! I could understand if it were during the week or during the off season but this was June 15, 2012. There were alot of people there. Other than that our stay was very nice.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Waters Edge Resort? Share your experiences!