“Beautiful view, beautiful weather = fantastic time” 4 of 5 stars

You added Waters Edge Resort to your Saves list
Waters Edge Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   1012 N. Waccamaw Drive, Garden City Beach, SC 29576   |
Caledonia, MI
“Beautiful view, beautiful weather = fantastic time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We had to find on short notice a place to stay in South Carolina. We drove from Florida that day and I managed to locate the Waters Edge while my husband drove. I didn't have near the time, or energy to research our stay as I normally do. I heavily relied on the experiences from others on tripadvisor. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, oceanfront, fully equipped condo. Upon our arrival at 2 am I was really disappointed by the inital room. It was gross (room 402) and made my skin crawl. I figured I would deal with it after some sleep. When I woke up @ 9am I went to the lobby and politley pointed out my disgust. John was so nice that he let me look at other rooms and credited us the night. I picked out room 1411 and it was so much cleaner and nicer. The only negative comment about this room was the outdated tv's. Seriously if thats the only complaint, then I consider myself lucky. We weren't in the room except at bedtime to even turn the tvs on. We had a great time. The pool was fine, the hot tub didn't work well and was pretty sandy, but that wasn't all that important. The ocean was awesome. This is out second vacay in South Carolina and could really see us doing a timeshare. We love it. Hope this helps in your vacay planning.

Room Tip: Ask to see them first if you are dissatisfied with the inital room.

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Beavercreek, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We chose to take a weeks trip to Garden City and stay at Waters Edge on the recommendation of a friend and his experience. We rented a 2 bedroom for 7 nights and were very impressed with the unit we were given. All of the units are privately owned and are rented out and maintained by a property management company. We had stayed at a similar place in Hilton Head the year prior and had a very bad experience with the unit we rented. To put it simply it was a dump, and we were somewhat hesitant to end up in the same situation on our very next vacation. The unit we stayed in was recently renovated and was in excellent condition. It was also cleaned very well after the previous people checked out, foors were spotless, all appliances and kitchen ware were clean, and bathrooms were in great shape.

My quick summary of the positives and negatives.

Positives : Units are spacious and have everything you need for an extended stay with the exception of food.
The setup with an indoor and outdoor pool right on the beach is fantastic.
The bar is nice if you want to stop by and have a drink or shot.
The restaraunt is really good as well, youre not going to get fine dining but they have great burgers, fries and finger food that is great for a quick snack while hanging out on the beach or by the pool.
And a well stocked convenience store for items that are urgent. I wouldnt use it as my main source shopping spot, but they have some great beach items and some necessities should you run out and dont feel like getting in the car and driving to a store.

Negatives :
The building is older and with that age there is some need for updates and regular maintenance.
The only reason I did not give a rating of 5 to waters edge is that they need to do some serious cleaning to the 2 stairwells. A large amount of bleach needs to be applied to the walls and floors of each stairwell and scrubbed extensively before being washed down. They smell AWFUL!!
A bit more attention given to regular cleaning of each units entryway area would be nice as well.
The building is 15 stories tall, however only has 2 elevators. Not much that they can do about it, however they definitely need to spend some money to have regular maintenance done to keep them working. There were about 15 of us all together staying here and a group of 6 or so got stuck in one of the elevators for 5 - 10 minutes. And one of the elevators was out for most of one of the days we were there as well. Luckily we were on the 6th floor so not a huge deal for us to walk up the stairs to our room, not so good if you are in one of the upper floors.

For us the positives far outweigh the negatives, we decided while we were there that we would be going back again next year and staying at Waters Edge. A great location, very family friendly, lots to do close by, and again the setup by the pool is just great since we spend the vast majority of our week hanging out in that area.

Cant wait to go back!
Cheers

penrose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just returned from our visit. The room was nice but as many others said, it was outdated. We found our room to be clean but the sofas were very worn out, and one wouldn't fold back up. Walking around in the room made our feet black which says how dirty the carpet was. It was equiped with a washer and dryer but no detergent so if you go, bring your OWN, because they will not provide it for you. We had asked for additional towels, which we were declined because as we were told, we had a washer and dryer in our room and needed to wash our own. Sooo if you go with this resort, take detergent or additional towels of your own. Also take dish washing detergent, I didn't think about that when we went but did end up needing it. The water pressure was pretty good considering each room had its own hot water heater. The view was amazing. As for all the noise complaints, we didn't have much noise but I was surprised by all the fireworks on the beach EACH night, so having my 1 year old trying to sleep that was kind of annoying at midnight with them still going off right off of our balony. But they were very nice. It wasn't the hotel that did them but random guess. The beach access was perfect, so was the pool and the area around the pool. I was annoyed by the pool guy, because he was the arm band nazi, you have to wear the armbands they provide to be at the pool, but wouldnt say anything to the annoying kids who kept hitting people with a rubber ball and had no parental supervision. The mini mart down below was well stocked with the necessities and snacks and such. The bar was low key and kinda high priced, $8 for a strawberry daiqurie which had stock liquiour. Everyone was very friendly for the most part. We had 7 people in our party, 2 adults, 14, 12, 8, 4 and 1 year olds. The kids had an absolute blast being able to go between the pool and beach with no walking distance inbetween. We loved it too because we were constantly going back and forth. The kids did say that the couch bed were hard but what sofa bed isnt?!?

Room Tip: Bring your own towels, dish detergent, and laundry detergent. Stay halfway up, say the 10th floor, t...
Canandaigua, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We traveled from New York. On our last night, which was a Friday, we decided we wanted to have a couple of drinks. We went down to the bar at 10pm and it was closing!!! Come on a bar on the beach, on a Friday night closing at 10pm!!!! I could understand if it were during the week or during the off season but this was June 15, 2012. There were alot of people there. Other than that our stay was very nice.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view
Jeffersonville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

and it was as good as the first. Great condo, beach within reach. Everyone was nice and helpful.
Like comming back home. To me it is the best @ Garden City.

central NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed for two nights in April 2012. We were traveling with an elderly family member who uses a walker, so I was looking for a place to stay that was right on the beach, without much difficulty for him to get on the beach, plus I needed a place that wouldn't require our party to be split up in separate hotel rooms. I found Water's Edge through Internet research.

We were in unit 402, a 2-BR unit. It was very spacious and offered what we needed. We only wished we could stay there longer and really take advantage of the apartment-like setup.

The front desk staff was very helpful. We had a few maintenance issues in the two bathrooms and they were promptly taken care of.

As we stayed somewhat off-season, the small restaurant onsite was closed, but the front desk staff gave us excellent recommendations for nearby restaurants.

In general the property is slightly shabby but it was clean and met our needs. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My family and I spent 5 wonderful days here in the sun. I read all the reviews on this place I could find. I have to tell you all I was worried at what we might find. When we got here I was so pleasantly surprised. We stayed in condo #712 a little outdated but who cares....we had a great view and the condo was very clean. The beds "omg" were so comfy..pillow top. The staff was over the top nice. The lady that works in the store was super sweet and wonderful with all the small children. We can't wait to go back. Thank you Waters Edge Resort for a great vacation!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Waters Edge Resort? Share your experiences!