“Couldn't wait till the hotel was in the rear view mirror” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Fort Mill
Bristol, TN
“Couldn't wait till the hotel was in the rear view mirror”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

This was probably the worst hotel we've ever stayed at. The AC was very inadequate even on maximum in fact more like a cool fan. We had to try to sleep with a clanking ac that didn't cool. The lobby looked nice but believe me when you go to your room it is bad. The water pressure was too low you had to run around in the tub to get enough water to get wet. The wireless internet didn't work and was reported to front desk and the girl said oh I don't know anything about the internet I can't help you. Well I tried several ways to access it and the signal was so "low" it wouldn't even connect. The room didn't have a closet to hang clothes in fact the iron and ironing board were hung on the wall beside the bed. I guess the only good things I could say about the room is that the camode worked and the bed was actually confortable. I wouldn't waste my money I would check other hotels in the area.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New Bern, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Plaza Hotel for a couple of days while
visiting Charlotte, NC. Our first impression when we arrived was good
since the lobby looked newly renovated with tasteful design. After we received our key and walked down the hall to the elevators I realized how hot it was in the halls. It seemed like the AC only worked in the lobby. We took the elevator up to our room but couldn't
get the AC to work and had to call the front desk. The girl on the phone was really helpful and offered us a new room but on a different
floor. The new room was larger and seemed like an upgrade. Both rooms
had fresh paint and some new furniture, new and clean bedding and, I think, new mattresses. The bed was comfortable. The bathrooms, however, could really use some new fixtures and new tubs. They looked
dirty and seemed very old. By the front desk was a sign apologizing for the construction since they are turning the hotel into and Clarion, so maybe they are still working on the bathrooms. The water preassure in the shower was terrible. The hotel offered a complementary breakfast that included coffee, juice, cereal, bagels, muffins and bananas. The hotel has a restaurant and bar but we didn't
eat there. There is a fairly nice pool area in the back of the hotel with chairs, umbrellas and tables. We saw some families with children use it.

Beware, if you have pets, there is a $25 pet fee and you have to stay
in a room on the 6th floor, which is the same as the smoking floor. For future reference and since we have dogs we stopped on the 6th floor once, to check it out but couldn't even get off the elevator for the smell. It was really discusting. I can't believe they group pet owners and smokers together. Being six months pregnant there is no way I could have stayed in a smoking room if we had brought our dogs with us. Unfortunately, hotels.com does not provide this information when you book a room through them. The hotel is just listed as pet friendly. But to me the Plaza is not pet friendly.

• Liked — The clean room with new furniture and bed
  • Disliked — The bathrooms and that you have to stay in a smoking room if you have pets.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pearisburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

My family which consisted of 3 generations just returned from a weekend stay at the Plaze Motel near Carowinds in Ft Mill S.C.,we had three rooms and let me tell you they were the worst rooms I have ever been in.
When we first arrived the lobby was very nice and we thought our stay would be pleasant,boy were we wrong, when we got to our rooms, the closet doors were only hanging by one hinge,the tv in my room did not work,the commode in my son's room had not been flushed or cleaned from the last visitors,the a/c did not work properly,my daughters room had a broken bed, a tv that did not work, we asked to be changed to to other rooms thinking the experience would get better, no it did not, the new rooms were just as bad,we found out after coming back from dinner that the doors did not lock and you could push them open with one hand and they were in the lock position,my daughters room had ants from the sliding doors down the wall and into the floor, my towel rack in the bathroom came out of the wall when I hung my towel on it that night after taking a scalding shower that you could not control the temperature, the maintenance was a joke, the couch that was supposed to let out into a bed as advertised was only a poor version of a regular couch, the bathroom ceiling had leaked it looked like for years and the room just was not clean. The ages of our family range from 56 to almost 2 and I will never stay in this motel again, I would rate this motel less than a star. The pool had a floating light that had torn loose from the pool with electrical lines dangling, the outlet that the tv cable was hooked into had bare wires showing and no cover on the outlet,real safe for small children (we had a four year old and an almost 2 yr old) in these rooms.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

Worst hotel experience of my life. Awful place. Awful staff. Give your money to someone else.

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

We booked the rooms 3 weeks in advance. Requested that at least one of the rooms have a fridge. Once we got there the hotel was under construction (not a big deal), A/C in both rooms didn't cool the room, very little hot water (2 minutes worth), poor water pressure, and the sink in my room was falling off the wall. Told the front desk about the A/C and the fridge problem, she gave me a wicked stare like its my fault that everything wasn't working. Not only that, but half a dozen times they tested the fire alarm between 0200 and 0800. Only good thing about the place, the bed was very comfortable. Will probably never stay there again.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — A/C not working.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

I'd booked my room at the Plaza after reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and was a little concerned about what I'd find, but it was better than I expected.

The room was plenty big and the location was perfect. The beds are brand new (I know this since I saw all the old ones out by the dumpsters- not sure if that's a very "green" way to dispose of them, but nevertheless- out with the old). The bedding was new, brand new duvets. The furniture & carpet are new in the rooms.

The only real drawback I saw was that they haven't really addressed the "age" problems of the hotel- like the ceilings & tiles. It seemed like the floor tiles in the bathroom were new- but the bathtub/surround tiles had only been painted over and were peeling already. And the bottom of the tub was enough to keep me from sitting my 2yr old son it it this weekend.

In the lobby they have a diagram set up of all the new things they're installing/replacing, etc- so it may be that I stayed there in mid-revision. It looks like they really are trying to make it a nice place.

The staff was moderately helpful. When I arrived some of the staff were in a heated debate about what was said at a staff meeting and the presence of a few new clients didn't seem to be enough to silence them. They always were mid-conversation on a phone or to each other when I approached them. But, to their credit, the night I was up at 2:30 in the morning w/ a very irrate, overtired toddler, they were more than happy to scrounge up an extra blanket for me.

The pool was closed and very green when we walked by it and it's the kind w/ tiles in it- so even if it was open & clean, I'd be wearing swim shoes-- definitely dates back w/ the hotel's age.

As a perk, there is an office near the lobby w/ 2 computers, high speed internet access & a printer set up ready to use, no passwords or complications. Made printing out directions to a restaurant or boarding passes easy.

Overall the stay was better than I thought it would be- my son was delighted in his free run of the "balcony" and I was glad for the massage shower head on my weary shoulders and for a nice (albeit very firm) bed to sleep in.

It's not high-end by any means, but the Plaza really does seem to be trying to improve itself (though I don't know what that'll do to the prices later!).

• Liked — very convenient locale
  • Disliked — the bathtub
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I recently stayed at The Plaza at Carowinds in Fort Mill SC. I found the lobby area to be spacious, clean and well decorated. The room was also spacious with the basic amenities promised. The pool area appeared to be well maintained with plenty of deck chairs around to use. The service stood out to me the most. My wife and I got in from a conference at around 11:30pm and my wife needed to check her email. We started into the room where the internet appeared to be set up in the lobby but the attendant in the lobby informed us that it was not working. The surprise was that he didn't just leave it at that. He invited us into an office behind the front desk were someone was working. That person immediately closed his programs and allowed us the use of the computer and they left the room. Granted, the interenet in the lobby should be working, but things aren't always perfect. I thought they went out of their way to make sure that we were taken care of. All this for just under $53/night (We went through a discount internet agent).

Been to Clarion Hotel at Carowinds? Share your experiences!