“Some of the worst management i've encountered” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Fort Mill
Denver, Colorado
“Some of the worst management i've encountered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I often travel with my company and typically normally look for a safe, clean place to sleep, and certainly nothing fancy. I had thought this would be a relatively clean place from some of the reviews on here that are obviously doctored by management after I go back and review them. Upon my arrival I found the lobby to be outdated but somewhat different and clean enough so I procedded to check into my room. The room was indeed scarier than Scarowinds ever had time to be and after killing two roaches within the first two hours of my stay I had decided to check out. After complaining to the desk and nothing was accomplished my next step was to try and talk to someone from the management staff. The "general manager" phyllis was probably the most unprofessional person i've ever dealt with and she was completely unwilling to resolve my situation. So I made the only decision I could, chalk the room up as a loss and stay next door at the peaceful and clean best western. I would honestly not recommend this hotel to my biggest business competitor much less anyone I cared for! There are many other options on this exit and I will definately choose them next time I visit town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

You get what you pay for. This hotel has seen better days. The bathrooms haven't been updated since the 80s. The hallways were dirty and stinky. The sheets were not fitted so the bare mattress was exposed with any movement on the bed. Only one elevator worked so I decided to take the stairs. After getting to the 10th floor, the door was locked and I couldn't access it( fire hazard). The continental breakfast was a joke. The balcony was filthy. I will close with the positive ...... it had a great view of Carowinds!

• Stayed October 2011
Hazlehurst, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

6 of us used this hotel to stay for 3 nights when we were showing our dogs at the near by location. We had 9 dogs with us.

The hotel was very pet friendly, they cleaned our room and gave us as many clean towels as we needed. Might sound weird but that is a big deal with so many people and dogs in two double rooms.

They even brought a fridge for us so we would not have to worry about spoiled dog food.

Although the hotel is a bit older and not so fancy, it is a great place to stay for less money with your pets.

Room Tip: We had rooms just next to the elevators but had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Summerville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The hotel is old and 2 days from being condemned by the looks of it. I paid for 3 rooms for 2 nights for labor day weekend for a trip to Carowinds. The amusement park must have started with the hotel, The SCARY HOUSE. The beds were hard as railroad steel. There were no pictures on the walls lamps were mix-matched. The fitted sheets were knotted and tied to the corners of the bed. But that's the nicest part of the hotel, keep reading.. . My son (13) opened the restroom door to his room and a 4 inch cockroach fell down the back of his shirt. We went to the front desk and they didn't change the room because they were pre-selected in advance and the manager would have to authorize it after hours(it was 9:30PM). So, I was prepared to go to the front desk the next morning with crucifixation papers. But to my surprise when I pulled back my own room curtians, there was a hornets nest the size of a football silently tucked away in the corner INSIDE THE ROOM. I was out of my league. They won. I just wanted a refund. The FRONT DESK MANAGER promised to refund both nights all three rooms $480.00 that never happened. They forwarded my follow-up calls to an unchecked voicemail. Then later a front desk girl that found a new job confided in me that my calls were trained to be forwarded to the voicemail. Refunds for out of town guest are almost always avoided and ignored once you leave the city. You can't make this up for free. Be aware

Room Tip: The rooms are bug infested with roached and Hornets nest. We checked in on 9/2/2011 for labor day we...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We usually take our trip to Myrtle Beach each year, but with the economy, we thought it would be better to stay close to home. We decided to go to Carowind for two days, but we didn't make any reservations. So I drove around until I saw The Plaza and took a chance on that hotel. Well, it was the best decision I have ever made when booking hotels. The rates was surprisingly low. With the price being so low I didn't expect to have a decent room. But to our surprise (my wife and daughter) the room was beautiful and clean. We just fell in love with it at first sight.. Everything we needed was right there in the area where we stayed. We are already talking about next year ( Lords willing) to come back to The Plaza.
We told some of our friends about this hotel and they were very impressed. We are from Winston-Salem which is not far away. I usually pay around two hundred dollars a night at the beach. This was a big saving to our budget. We never got a chance to try the continental breakfast because Shoneys is one of our favorite restaurants. and it was hard to pass them up. I'm sure your breakfast was entricing, but maybe next time. We are looking forward to visiting this hotel next year and spending more time there,
Thank you for the wonderful experience we had there and keep up the good work

Lee Blakney
3939 Beacon Dr.
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106
brsnbe@windstream.net

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Friends and I decided to take our 2 little kids to Carowinds, so were looking for close hotel to the amusement park. The plaza had a two bdrm, 2 dbl bed 'Suite" (i say that liberally bc it turned out to be two rooms that adjoined) for less than $100 a night. it was perfect for us and our kiddos!!! Lobby was nice, Pool was very well up kept and nice/clean, bed were very clean and smelled nice and fresh. Rooms were modern enough - clean - no microwave or mini fridge which would have been nice - but otherwise - we loved it. Nice little balcony like thingy off the room - AC worked, toilet flushed and there was hot water. After a 11 hrs day at Carowinds - you just want clean, comfy and safe. This hotel gave us that and more. we wiill be back next year.

Room Tip: tell them what you are looking for - they will work with you to find you what you need
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Service, the employees, the price and the inside of the hotel all get two thumbs up from me....

They say first impressions are everything but in this case, I have to disagree. When I first pulled up, I was disappointed with the outside of the hotel. I thought it looked old & run down... oh well, you get what you pay for I guess!! BUT after I went inside, I was pleasantly surprised. You can tell the new management has put money into the rooms & they are in the midst of updating the hotel. After speaking with the manager (or attendant) at the front desk, I learned the owners next project is to update the outside of the building. Once this is completed, I think they will have a wonderful hotel on their hands!!!

Room Tip: If you like fireworks, Carowinds puts on a great display at 10pm every evening during the summer. S...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel at Carowinds? Share your experiences!