“If your plane is cancelled, well, you may as well be here!!” 5 of 5 stars

Water's Edge Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   79 2nd Street West, Folly Beach, SC 29439   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Folly Beach B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“If your plane is cancelled, well, you may as well be here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We were fortunate enough not to only spend five nights here--but a cancelled flight brought us back for an extra sixth night. Now usually I would be upset by this--but in this situation it was ABSOLUTELY FINE. So we check out after five days (lovely staff cheer us on our way--although perhaps saying "we've had enough of those two"!) only for us to come dragging ourselves back a few hours later. Thank goodness they had a room--our original room actually--but we selected the other room on the first floor just to get a different experience.

We were here for the Food and Wine Festival in Charleston, but the rates here at Folly Beach were much better than in the city, so we decided to stay toward the beach and get the best of both worlds. And really--it is so easy and close to get into the city. We flew into Charleston (out of a snowstorm in the northeast) and went to lunch at Husk (fabulous) and then desert at Kaminsky's. Heck--the vacation was off to such a great start and we hadn't even gotten to Folly Beach yet.

So we arrive and midweek it is very quiet, but there are lovely snacks out and both red and white wine, and yes we were given that famous Folly Punch. I had unknowingly booked a room on the third floor (very steep stairs--please be aware of this--and quickly saw that my husband who was recovering from knee surgery was really going to have a hard time. No problem--they put us in a beautiful room on the first floor (still stairs to navigate) that had what I wanted--a balcony (even larger than the room I had selected), a fireplace, and a jacuzzi tub. Perfect--and great of the staff to make the change.

Well this place is just lovely and the young women who work here are friendly and well versed in the sights. Snacks each day were great--read some of these reviews and really I don't know quite what people are expecting!! LOL. They also served beer, cokes, and had waters in your room. The rooms were lovely, high ceilings, ceiling fans, COMFORTABLE beds, and refrigerators--great if you are around for six days.

Iiked the breakfasts fine. Again, I read some complaints here and I am thinking, gee whiz folks--its a bed and breakfast not a five star restaurant. Great pastries and bacon. Eggs--not so great, but hey, I was happy. COFFEE is fabulous--ready at 6:30 and I could sneak out on the first floor (another advantage) and get some. One morning they served mimosas--a little celebratory plus!

The first night it was just us and one other couple. The second night we were all by ourselves!! That was kind of funny. But the place filled up on the week-end.

A couple of things were a little bit off. Got woken up one night late--and I mean late (like 3--or maybe that is EARLY) by really loud people at the hot tub. LOUD. Really strange. Also, for some reason our room didn't get serviced until like the third day . Not that I really care. I think unless you put out the sign asking for service they don't come into your room. And the rugs were kinda dirty--not bad--but in contrast to the rest of the place which is pristine and almost perfect. Still, it just seemed a little off, so I mention it.

But in the end, I love this place. Great service, great value, marvelous comfortable bed. The fireplaces are great to take off the chill, the balconies have BEAUTIFUL views. The location is perfect. And Folly is FUN!! And the staff will do anything to try to help you have a good time.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the upper floors are quite steep. If you have problems with stairs stay in the C...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lincolnton, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Water's Edge Inn for our wedding/honeymoon and it was spectacular...i recommened them to anyone...the staff was fabulous and very knowledgable ab the area. The room was clean. breakfast and happy hour were wonderful and I hated to leave!! We will be back for all our anniversaries!!!
Laura and Joseph Vella

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Staying at Water's Edge Inn made our stay so much better. Quiet, clean, comfortable, and excellent staff.
Located in a quiet nook of the Island, but only a walk to the beach or business district. Walk, bike a ride, or get a ride on the Golf Cart Bus. Their goal was to make our stay a memorable one and they succeeded.

Room Tip: Park your car and enjoy the Island. If you do not know what you want to do, read the folder left in...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

As I type, I am running a bubble bath (in The Charleston Room on the first floor), which is filling up in a volcanic limestone Victoria + Albert soaking tub, and I am sipping from the bottle of champagne the management left chilling for me as a birthday gift upon check-in yesterday.

There is a timer-operated fire flickering in the hearth, and the excellent wi-fi has been working brilliantly for 24 hours.

This morning, I padded upstairs to the small reception lounge, where I was able to get many cups of fabu locally roasted coffee; scones, muffins, bagels & pastries from Saffron Bakery in downtown Charleston, fresh fruit salad, a bunch of other stuff, and a little hot plate full of crispy, delicious bacon. All complimentary. Hellllloooooo.

And at happy hour, 4-7pm? Light beers, red + white wine, a liquored up, low-calorie cranberryish lemonade called Welcome Punch (literally they fixed me a glass upon check-in), with lots of little cheeses, nuts, salames, etc. and guests hanging out either at the outside patio or up in the lounge.

Oh, and the outside patio? They have some satellite radio station going on low volume that is, I swear to god, the "Margaritaville Station" -- same is piping out by the 24-hour outdoor hot tub.

Which, btw, looks out onto a marsh. And has rainbowy lights in it. And a nice little deck around it. I just spent a half hour in there as the afternoon light shone in and I feel way good, let me just say.

I'm a big ole hotel snobberina and this place totally ranks up there. I appreciate little details like the "dream machine" clock radio with an iPod hookup next to my bed, which has been playing ocean sounds ever since I got here. I just don't really see a reason to turn it off.

Room Tip: If you're into the hot tub, The Charleston Room on the first floor is right by it. BUT there isn...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Ladson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The only regret I have about our stay at Waters Edge is that it was only one night. Fantastic staff, beautiful room and walking distance to everything in Folly Beach. The owner greeted us personally and was a very fun guy to talk to. Give yourself and your significant other a treat, stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Caribbean room but we also checked out the Hemmingway room, both beautiful.
West Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

This Inn was really a hidden gem. It was very cozy and quaint. At night I felt I was at my grandparents home from years ago. The wooden floors and wooden cupboard with a cookie jar and fruit out for midnight snacking. I really enjoyed my stay. The inn is very private and extremely clean, and that is a must for me to stay. Was excited to tell our family and friends about this place.
The only negative comment I have is that not all the staff was warm and welcoming. At times we felt
as a outside guest. Could be a little more warm and welcoming, being such a small place.
We will for sure be back and hope to bring family next time.

Room Tip: The Hemmingway......Great view and porches.
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've never stayed at a place where every single aspect just felt right. From the room design to the customer service - every detail was perfect. Easily the best experience at any Inn I've ever had. If you choose to stay elsewhere - you are missing out!!!

Room Tip: Ultimate privacy in the Charleston Room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Water's Edge Inn? Share your experiences!