“Out of crab legs?!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Newnan
“Out of crab legs?!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We walked from the Tides condos all the way to the Sandbar. So were definitely thirsty and the waitress tells us they're out of Miller lite. Bummer! Oh well we order michelob ultras instead, no biggie. She brings us a basket of hushpuppies w this magic dip. They were so awesome! Best puppies i've ever had! We order all u can eat crab legs and the waitress tells us they are out! What? Out! The only reason we walked there in the first place was because of all the signs posted that said "all u can eat crab legs" at the Sandbar! Anyways, our server comped the beers and tried to find us a ride back since it was starting to rain but no luck. I really wanted to try the food since the puppies were so great! We would probably go back & try again!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

16% Recommend
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Live Music was the attraction! Nice atmosphere. Drinks were reasonably priced. everyone has a great time!

Visited April 2013
“Best local shrimp I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

All you can eat shrimp for $15 and the shrimp was amazing! The portions were generous and delicious! They really know how to cook some fantastic food! The most amazing sunset as well! We will absolutely be back soon!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“No Flounder and a musty smell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our family enjoyed the restaurant in the 70 and 80's and then a few years ago we enjoyed it more. But now... There is a damp musty smell in the restaurant. No flounder on the menu only whiting fish. What is that about?? No soups or Caesar salad. The kids chicken was seasoned with too much...say white pepper. The cole slaw on my combo seafood meal looked as if it was scooped in the cup days ago since it separated so much. My fried shrimp and scallop dinner had tasteless shrimp with a overpowering breading. The red rice was under cooked and covered with chopped scallions. Bland hush-puppies and sour tea poured from a plastic "retro" pitcher (as referred to by the waitress) rounded out the poor meal. Go somewhere else.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, SC
“Moldy, unkempt”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We thought we would give the Sandbar another try. I grew up with the restaurant in the 60's, when it was THE place for seafood. Unfortunately it is now rundown and not worth the trip.

The building has been cut up into some apartments and the restaurant entrance is on the back side along the Folly River. The footing was hard for my elderly mother to navigate. Upon entering you are immediately hit with a mildewy smell. The chairs need to be pressure washed or replaced. They were covered with grime. The dark patterned tablecloths hid dirt, but did nothing to negate the fact that I could run my fingers across the surface and come up with crumbs.

Our waitress was very young and totally inexperienced. She did not know what to ask, such as how I wanted my steak. She had to return from the kitchen twice to get the required details straight. I ordered the marinated ribeye and shrimp dinner. The steak was not marinated that I could taste but was still tasty from the grill. Unfortunately, while I ordered medium rare, it was well done. It was accompanied by a small cup of very runny Bearnaise sauce. The shrimp were large and fried well but lacked the sweet taste I would have expected from fresh local shrimp. The "Sandbar" potatoes were like the inside of a twice-baked potato. The sauteed mixed vegetables were actually quite good until I found cloth fibers and a small hair in them.

My mother had the fried shrimp. While an advertisement had mentioned an "all you can eat" option our waitress did not offer it. Again, the shrimp were cooked well. The french fries were very plentiful and seasoned with lemon pepper seasoning. The hush puppies were plain. No tartar sauce or cocktail sauce was offered.

With so many other seafood restaurants in town this one needs to improve greatly...

• Visited August 2012