“We just stayed one night and it was sufficient. The...” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Florence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I visited this motel with my mother, daughter, sister, cousin, and grandkids and had the most awful experience of staying in a motel. I will never visit this one again and advise others to do some research before you make this one your choice. I only stayed two nights, but the first night I was awakened by a huge cockroach crawling in my bed around 4:30 AM at which time I nor my daughter could get back to sleep for fear of other cockroaches coming out. The comforter on my bed was thrown on the floor and not used due to a red stain on it and not knowing what that stain was The bathroom was unclean, dirty carpet and not to mention a bad odor in the room. We was given a can of febreeze by clerk at front desk, but still did not rid the odor. So nasty and unclean that I was not able to eat or drink anything in my room. Also the continental breakfast did not happen due to the area looking unclean, no foods out to choose from. We were forced to uce mcdonalds for our choice of breakfast..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I were visiting family in Darlington and Florence for the 4th of July weekend. Last minute planning on our part resulted in not being able to find many hotels with rooms available. We got a cheap rate at Howard Johnson and seeing that I have stayed at a HoJo before I figure this should be a fine experience. When I pulled up the hotel, the outside view wasn’t very appealing. Remodeling is in need. It looks like an old apartment complex. As I entered the lobby, it didn’t look too bad. I requested the opportunity for my cousin and I to view the rooms that we would have for two nights. I should have known things weren’t going to go well seeing that the person who managed the desk was quick to tell me that I had booked online and would not be able to get a refund. She attempted to go back and forth with me as I stated that there was a cancellation policy and a refund could be granted as long as I did so prior to 4 p.m. Rooms 403 and 405…the televisions are older models, the telephone in my room wasn’t even connected. The ceiling of the bathroom looked as if it had experienced leaks and needed repair. The carpet was not clean (or perhaps it could be “clean” without the benefit of being able to remove all stains. There was a chair in the room that was dirty/stained. It too needed replacement. It was a two night stay so we decided to bear the least of the comforts. I didn’t view my cousin’s room, but there was a slight odor. We weren’t sure whether or not it came from smoking or from being old. She too agreed that she could handle it. We returned to check in desk and noted that the rooms weren’t the best, but doable. My cousin explained that her room had a slight odor and the lady now in a different, friendlier mood provided a can of Febreeze. It just so happens that we could overhear another customer complaining (not sure of what), and being told that she could not get a refund. We left before hearing how that situation was going to play out.
We returned to our rooms later that night and were so tired, we all went to bed. The next morning, my cousin explained that my aunt was awakened at about 4:30 a.m. by a roach crawling on her. There was another one seen in their room. Just as my cousin had come to our room to tell us about her visitor, my mother was killing a roach in our bathroom. We dressed and headed to breakfast. We were told breakfast would end at 9 a.m. We entered the breakfast area at 8:40 a.m. and a typed sign on the door read closed. It appeared as though breakfast was over and seeing that the doors had that dirty look, we pretty much already felt uncomfortable entering the place. Upon entering the dining area, it did not help that the place had a stench. There was hand sanitizer on the counter, but to eat breakfast in such a place still felt unclean. We turned around and headed to the McDonald’s down the street. On day two we opted not to even enter the place.
I spoke with two different people at the check in/out desk and all either provided was that they were going to leave a message for the manager and the second person suggested that I call back. The first person seemed genuinely sincere in being contrite and the second casually extended her apologies. The second lady seemed shocked to have heard our complaints, but even the night before when I approached the desk for additional washcloths someone else was complaining at the counter and as I was standing at the counter to checkout someone had called down to the desk because their electricity wasn’t working. The first person mentioned that some rooms that allow pets had been fumigated and that could have possibly caused bugs to move rooms. Pets typically carry fleas and ticks, not roaches.
I failed to mention that once the lights were turned on inside the room at night, the shades of the lamps were filthy. Also, being at the back of the building isn’t the most optimum placement. People were hanging out and you could hear movement and chatter down the walkway and of the doors opening and closing through the night and early morning. This place looks as though patch repairs have taken place over the years. It consists of paint jobs that aren’t appealing and repairs that aren’t complete.
Our overall experience was not pleasant. I will not revisit this hotel and would suggest that others pay extra money to stay at a different chain or go to the next exit for other choices. It would take a complete renovation to make this place pleasing to the eye or any other senses.
This is my first time to TripAdvisor.....had I known I could have added pics I surely should have taken them and posted.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Metairie, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Okay so I'm in the hospitality industry and I work in hotels. I'm a cheapo and always looking for the budget bargains even though, I work in a 4 star hotels. I have to say the lady upon arrival was very nice but she was not really dressed for the position. Sorry I think you always need to look like you care, no tee shirts and cut off jean shorts. Anyways we drove for 12 hours thur the night so we were tired. I checked a third party website for rates and saw the Ho Jo. The pictures are not realistic to what you get. This place could not be more out of dated. Cheap fixes thoughout the room, such as painted sinks and tub, a poorly done highlight color wall and nothing matched. There was obviously wall paper in the bathroom that had a mold problem and they cheaply pulled up the wallpaper and did not sand, they just slapped paint on the wall and did mot take care of the mold problem before. Regardless of this, I'm the one to try to point out what is nice. So here it goes.
They have awesome towels. Way to go, to the head housekeeper... Lets see what else. The air worked really well. It's hot in SC in July so thank god it worked. Other than that, not too much else. The floor in our room 310 was so disgusting, I walked with flip flops on the entire time. There seems to be a major water problem with the building we stayed in because the entire time we were there the room felt very humid and sticky like there was standing water under the building and it also had a horrible mold smell as well. I strongly recommend asking to see a room before you you pay so you know what your getting. Over all, I would not stay here again. I should of looked a little harder for a better room prior to check in.

• Stayed July 2013
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

i been there with my group of friends i enjoyed alot there. staff was very friendly and helpful and breakfast was fantastic too. in short its a great value for less money. The sporty bar in the hotel is the best concept i have ever seen in hotels. location of the hotel is awesome as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Florence? Share your experiences!