“Nice and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Florence
Suffolk, Virginia
“Nice and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to Florida for Thanksgiving. Easy access to I-95. Close to lots of places to eat. This reservation was made online and I was not given the option of choosing a non smoking room, so I just assumed I would be asked at check in. Upon entering our room their was a STRONG overpowering smell of cigar! No way were we staying in that! Even the housekeeper working across the hall said she could smell it from the door! Down the the front desk to request a new room. This was accomplished easily without question by the front desk attendant. Our second room was clean, and very spacious. We had no complaints. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stopped at this hotel driving north from Florida along I-95. It was very late when we arrived. Upon arrival we were welcomed by a woman at the front desk who had a terrible attitude. My wife and I considered leaving and finding another hotel, however it was after midnight. We felt the front desk person didn't like northerners or white people.

The hotel hallway was dirty, the carpets were stained. Our room smelled of smoke and mold. The sheets had yellow stains.

We checked out the next morning. When I received my credit card bill, I was charged an additional $150. Apparently I was charged for smoking in the room. I DO NOT SMOKE. THE ROOM SMEELED OF SMOKE WHEN I ARRIVED. The staff at the hotel was very cool to my wife and I.

Based on the experience I will never stay a another Carlson hotel again. Racism comes in all colors. I have filed a complaint with my credit card company.

Room Tip: This is a terrible hotel. Dirty, smelled, terrible breakfast. The staff was very unfriendly. If y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Florence, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. Also, we are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, including the stained sheets and carpet and smoky smell. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
Walterboro, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

After a long day my family and I were getting ready to turn in. I pulled back the sheets and just as I was getting into my bed, I saw this huge brown stain and hair in on the sheets. I almost threw up. Now it's 11:30 pm so I call the front desk and they sent someone up. The young lady was already off work, but wouldn't leave until my bed was fixed and fixed right. I spoke with management and they refunded my first nights visit, but that didn't make up for the fact that I felt like I had bugs crawling all over me the entire time. Whomever cleaned the room failed to notice that in the dresser drawers there was food and trash left behind. Over all cleanliness of the hotel was poor. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, including stained sheets with hair and leftover trash. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Well i will say the hotel is nice but.... Im in Florence working and had been staying at the suburban down the street moved here cause prostitutes wont leave you alone their. only to find that atleast one of them lives here she stays with the maint man she has approached me here as well. this review is for management you might want to get a hold of this or this nice place will go down quick like others around you

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very typical Country Inn and Suites facility. Convenient to the interstate, clean rooms and friendly staff. Breakfast was respectable and the staff was courteous. This was an overnight stay, so the hotel served it's purpose very well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had a reservation at your Country Inn & Suites in Florence, SC for several nights beginning 10/8/13. The reservation was for business purposes because I am a Revenue Agent with the Internal Revenue Service and had an appointment with a taxpayer (I made the reservation in early to mid September). However, due to the government shutdown, I have been furloughed since 10/1/13, and unable to work. Because I have been unable to work, I was uncertain whether my reservation was for 10/8 or 10/9. I called the hotel the morning of 10/9 and explained the situation to the manager (Sharon, Sandra, or some similar name that begins with an 'S'). She refused to waive the cancellation fee and did not show not even the slightest bit of sympathy for me, the situation, and seemingly did not care. If anything, she only cared about the bottom line.

I also contacted your corporate telephone number on your website to speak to someone else and further discuss/explain the issue. I was notified that they would refer the issue to the hotel manager for resolution. The manager simply reiterated her earlier position with the same dismissive tone. To me, this is the epitome of poor management.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed one night on trip to Florida. Tamara at the front desk was friendly, courteous and attentive to our needs. Requested a first floor room and when I found out it was near the elevator and lobby, I asked for an alternative room. Tamara took care of that easily without any change in the smile on her face. Room was clean, spacious, and quiet. Breakfast was typical for Country Inn and Suites and I would rate it as above average.
Bottom line: I would stay there again and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites Florence? Share your experiences!