“Have enjoyed staying here more than 40 times this year!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Florence
Columbia,SC
“Have enjoyed staying here more than 40 times this year!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is an excellent location (intersection of I20 and I95) and nice location for reaching resturants and stores very close by. Florence is not a "hot-spot" for tourists (though it is hot!) but since I travel here regularly for business, I have had opportunity to try several other hotels and prefer this one for the value and more than adequate accommodations. After the other descriptions I read today, I would have hesitated to come here, but have found it a wonderful place to return to regularly. Breakfast is great, my room has always been wonderful (except for one night when they assigned me the room next to the outer door and I asked to be moved - which they happily obliged) and now that they have renovated this May, even nicer!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Central FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

When we need a place to sleep for 8 hrs. on a driving trip, my husband and I often stay in Fairfield Inns or the equivalent. They are generally clean, the beds are comfortable, and they are quite adequate for a brief stop. We're not expecting luxury and have usually found the quality of Fairfield Inns more reliable than some of the other chains in that price range.

Returning from a wedding in June, we saw that we'd get to Florence, SC about 10PM, so we booked a room at the Fairfield online en route. When we arrived, the receptionist told my husband that we would get an upgrade since he's Platinum Marriott. When we got to the room, we were at a loss to figure out what the upgrade was but didn't worry about it. It was not until I pulled down the covers that I became upset. The bed was "indented", the sheets were wrinkled, rumpled, and gave every appearance of having been slept on. (I have occasionally found my bed in similar condition on a second or third night, even in considerably "better" hotels if we elected not to have the linens changed and the maid was too lazy to smooth the sheets, but this was the first time I've encountered it on the first night.) My husband took a photo and returned to the desk, where they gave him keys to a [smaller] room next door, along with a perfunctory apology. After moving, I noticed that the bed was a queen, as had the previous bed been, not the king we requested and that was confirmed.

When we checked out the next morning, my husband mentioned that the bed was a queen, not a king. The receptionist remarked that she didn't know what the beds were but that all the beds in the hotel were the same size. Seems that if there are only queen size beds, kings shouldn't be offered on the website. But the used sheets concerned me a lot more. I can see how a room might occasionally be made up while someone who is checking out is at breakfast, but there should be a system to prevent it. Management in that hotel is either lax or the maids are not doing their jobs if a room is assigned when it hasn't been fully serviced.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
potomac maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel is worth every penny, with the Marriott name i always trust them, and yet again was very pleased. For the area being mainly rest stop chain hotels and restaurants the Fairfield Inn is clean, safe and cozy. The hotel sits right off of i95, lit and well maintained. When you pull into the hotel you see that it is almost motel style with 2 of the lower levels outside hallway and the third level indoors, we got the first level which was great to unload our luggage right to the room. The lobby is a smaller area with a modern edge, front desk was granite, standing over it was a happy front desk staff who checked us in under a minute and really cared about our needs and told us the time for breakfast and more. The lobby had a computer with internet access and I believe a printer. Vending machines/bathroom and a breakfast room all very clean and seemed new. There was another door for access to the other side of the hotel which also led to the heated pool with fresh towels. As well as an indoor card key access fitness room with fresh towels and a t.v. Our room was very clean just a bit worn down carpet, but the hotel was renovating rooms piece by piece. Although we got one of the older rooms it was fine. Bathroom was clean with separate sink area. A great working AC in the room and 70 some channels were great, and the Marriott bedding package with "crisp" duvets and sheets that Marriott does great, means no more gross bed spread, everything is fresh and clean for you. The bathroom was clean and Pan-teen shower amenities were great. Free wifi in the lobby and free plug-in internet in each room on the desk. Traveling as a family of 4, we thought one room would be ok. We were WRONG the room only fits 2 double beds, and no rollaway allowed. So i would opt for 2 rooms or more as necessary. Although it was a snug night we heard no noise from road nor people. The free hot breakfast was great with fresh bagels, donuts, breads, jimmy dean hot sandwiches made fresh, make your own belgian waffles, oatmeal, dried fruits, spices, cereals, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, milk and more. The breakfast attendant was devoted only to help you get what you need and clean the area/tables after each use, as well as stock more food/drink. It was great.

Complaints: I only wished that the room was newer, the carpet was worn. But with the renovation they are doing this should be solved. I cant wait to see the new rooms. (which should be done soon)

There were great walkable restaurants including Outback, Olive Garden and something called Shoony's. There also was more drivable restaurants that looked good too.

Walkable target/mall was nice to have so close.
The nearby hotels are Quality inn (which looked run down) and some motels, so your best bet is to do this Marriott. Athough just a couple of minutes south there were some other Marriotts including courtyard, springhill and a new residence inn. But this will be the lowest price marriott in the area most likely, but has just what you need. and just a bit more money than those motels your going to get a lot more ammenities including piece of mind that your getting a clean and safe hotel. For my family this is the best rest stop coming or going on i95. I hope this helps you!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

My wife and I were on our return trip from Florida on a week long vacation following Easter. We planned an over night stop in Florence as part of our 2 day trip and made an advance reservation at this Fairfield Inn. Upon arrival I noted that the first 2 floors had rooms with exterior entrances, which did not thrill me, but the top floor had a hallway with interior entrances. I'm not sure why, but maybe the 3rd floor was added at a later time. I have been a membe of Marriot's Rewards program for about 15 years and dring that time have usually held a Platinum status; currently I it's Gold. The checkin process appeared to go smoothly and probably due to my Marriott status, I got a room on the 3rd floor. The bad news is the only elevator was broken. My wife and I lugged our luggage up the stairs. When we entered the room, their was already someone there, saying she had just checked in herself ans was assigned the room. She showed us her room key and packet and it was the same room as mine. She graciously invited us in while I called down to the desk. The response from the desk was that there is no way someone else could be in the room and I must be mistaken. I begged to differ with the desk clerk, not understanding why she thougt I would be making things up. I was asked to come back down to the desk as the hotel was completely booked.

I found out the desk had given her the room as a walkin who had no reservation, but the desk could not explain why that happened. The desk tried to find me another another room in town, but given the heavy travel this weekend, most everything was full. They finally found a room on the other end of town at a low end hotel, giving me a signed letter that they would pay for my room. By the time I left, I was pretty upset and the reservation desk assured me the manager would call me later to apologized.

Upon arrival at the other hotel, the desk there said that they could not accept the letter, but would rent me a room if I paid for it. Given it appeared to be the only room in town we paid for the room. We did have seious reservations given the appearance of the hotel, the groups of people roaming the parking lot, the roving security guard (why was he needed).

The next day we continued on home and I waited for the Fairfield manager to call so we could discuss what happened and how she planned on paying my out of pocket expenses for the second hotel. I waited 5 days and finally called her. I got a few half hearted "sorrys" but wondered about the underlying sincerity.

All said, this was a VERY bad note on which to end a nice vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I'd meticulously planned the rest of a recent family trip, but had left this night open because I wasn't sure of where we'd stop for the night. I saw there was a Fairfield Inn off I-95 in FLorence, and, relying on the Marriott name, figured it would be OK. My mistake! As other reviews here have noted, this dump in no way lived up to Marriott standards. It's old, and the room had an unpleasant odor, with or without the antiquated (and noisy) fan running. There are no interior corridors, the paper and linen products provided were rough and scratchy, and the bathroom had the dimensions and decor of a coffin. If you need an overnight stop in the area, there are many other choices. The front desk staff was pleasant- but no amount of smiling could make up for the ancient cement block architecture. An uncomfortable experience which I do not want to repeat.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Sarasota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My wife and I checked in and then checked out. Do not believe the Marriott name brand in this case, the Fairfield just sucks, smells, smallest rooms ever, staff really doesn't care and obviously the management and owners don't care and perhaps Marriott doesn't care either. Many other locations to choose from in the area, even some newer Marriotts but you will pay a premium.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
SUFFIELD,CT.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Everyone should listen to Koorb007 and Team Hilberk . This hotel looked like it was an old hotel converted into a Fairfield Inn. Don't go by the picture the hotel looks nothing like a Fairfield Inn. It looks like a converted motel 6. The best is yet to come when we looked at 3 rooms and every room smelled like something died in the room. The rooms were all musty and smelly. Don't know what the smell was but we were getting sick just in the few minutes we were in the room. If you let the price sway you ,and your stupid enough to stay there, after this review and the other 2 reviews then you deserve what you get. Go across the street there's a Courtyard hotel there that is a much better.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn Florence? Share your experiences!