“Spend More and Breathe Easier” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #24 of 38 hotels in Florence
Toronto, Canada
“Spend More and Breathe Easier”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I used 10,000 reward points to stay at this hotel which is definitely not the Marriott standard. While upgrades have been made and continue to be made, nothing will eliminate the musty, smelly, damp, environment. The mustiness was absolutely overwhelming and I don't know that it can ever be improved. The eating area had an alarming amount of fruit flies not only all over the walls but to the point where you had to keep one hand free to keep them off your food and face. I have never, at any Marriott, seen cleaning carts left in the hallway, however, two carts with cleaning supplies, etc. were on our floor in the hallway when we checked in around 6:00 p.m., were removed for a short time and then were back in the hallway first thing in the morning. When I went to the front desk to ask for directions shortly after check-in, the staff member behind the desk had her mouth full of a cookie and I had to wait until she was finished before she could answer. The latter two statements obviously didn't affect my stay, however, they are just other observations regarding the standard. I cannot express enough my disappointment that this hotel is rated at 10,000 points. I sincerely wish I had used 5,000 more points to stay at one of the other nearby Marriott products. If you are not using points or are not a rewards member and paying cash, if you can afford it, there are three other Marrriott properties just across the highway - a Springhill Suites, a Courtyard and a Residence Inn. I wish I had stayed at one of those. I would not think of staying at any other brand of hotel as I firmly believe that Marriott is the best chain available, however, this property is simply not 'Marriott'.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel if at all possible. If you do stay here I would suggest asking for room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy C, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn Florence, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for being a loyal Marriott guest. We take pride in our hotel and in our customer service and apologize you did not receive 100% guest satisfaction during your stay with us. We have addressed all your concerns with our staff and have since made improvements in the areas needed.

We would like to inform you that we have been proactive in resolving the mustiness in some of the rooms. All AC units have been removed and thoroughly cleaned from our 129 room property. We now have proper air flow in the rooms, which will circulate air, removing humidity and resolve the issues.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Stacy Counihan

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fredericton, Nb
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The room was small but clean. The bathroom could use some updating. Use of the airconditioner is necessary to ensure that the mugginess is kept at bay. We didn't have any issue with the smell that others have reported. We were discouraged though that we left our youngest daughters flower girl dress in the room after having rinsed it to get out a stain and it mysteriously "went missing" from the room between our leaving and the housekeeping staff cleaning the room. I know it was our fault for leaving it behind but I honestly would have thought that the housekeeper would have turned it in so that we could make arrangements to retrieve it. This reason alone would keep me from staying at this particular location in the future. On a positive note I did appreciate the location close to the highway and close to Target and I considered the price reasonable though not fantastic in any way. Breakfast was good although the area was cramped and a little on the warm side.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Murrayville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This Fairfield Inn, yards away from the East terminus of I-20, is of the first generation of Fairfield Inns by Marriott. I've stayed a number of times over 20 years. The ownership and management continues to enhance their investment and guest comfort by renewing the property. The bathrooms are new. The paint and fixtures are new. The beds and TVs are upgraded. And most of all, the staff is competant, friendly, smart, hard-working and a pleasure to deal with. Yesterday, when I stayed again, a bus load of seniors was getting first rate and friendly service from the staff. This hotel is a great value compared to a newer much more costly neighboring hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Annandale, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I honestly cannot provide a fair review of this location, since I only stayed for one hour, which will be explained below. I just want to thank the management and thank Martrice(?) for your kindness during my recent visit to your hotel. I checked into my hotel room and had been in the room for about an hour when I received a call from home explaining that my daughter had just been rushed to the hospital. Before scampering to the airport to get home, I quickly checked out and the hotel staff was very understanding and did not charge me for the hotel stay. They could have charged me for my brief stay, but they were compassionate and did not do so. I cannot say the same for the airline(US Airways) who charged me an additional $342.00 and could not have cared any less. Thank you Fairfield and thank you Martrice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bedford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband booked a room here because the nearby Residence Inn was sold out. I read the reviews here as we pulled into the parking lot and got very nervous. After checking in, my husband and I went upstairs to check the rooms before bringing the kids and the dog and all our bags in. We were in adjoining rooms 317 and 319. The elevator is outside and hot - no a/c in there, but there are only 3 floors so it's not a big deal.

Our rooms were warm and a little muggy when we opened the door, but there was no smell and it was very clean. We turned the a/c temp down and the mugginess disappeared. The rooms had obviously recently been refurbished as the interior matched that of other marriott's we've stayed in. The 3rd flor also has an interior hallway. I don't know if the rest of the motel has undergone refurbishment.

I am very picky about cleanliness. There was nothing wrong with our room. In fact, it was cleaner and in better shape overall than our Old Key West villa at WDW. The location is great - right off 95 - which worked perfectly for our drive from FL to NY. We usually stay at the more expensive Springhill Suites across the road and I thought this stay was on par with that stay, and for half the price!

Breakfast was definitely not as good as the Springhill Suites, but it was sufficient. (there are no eggs. They have make your own waffles, bagels, muffins and Danishes, a microwave and toaster, assortment of cereals, yogurts and some fruit, and Jimmy Dean packaged sausage and biscuits that you microwave, plus coffee, tea, oj, apple juice and milk.)

My advice is to request the 3rd floor or ask of the entire hotel has been refurbed. And remember this is a low- end property with no frills.

Only real negative is the carpeting in the hallway, although relatively new is very dirty. Otherwise I highly recommend this location and will probably stay here from now on and save some extra cash for something fun at Disney.

• Stayed August 2012
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Certainly an adequate hotel in the perfect location to stop while traveling from New York to Florida. We have stayed here multiple times on our way to Florida in January and have found some stays to be good and some not so good. The hotel is an older version of a typical Fairfield. The bathrooms need to be renovated but the room was clean. The included breakfast is OK but not as good as some other Fairfield Inns we have stopped at.

Room Tip: Upstairs is quieter....can be noisy downstairs
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Literally and physically! If you have ANY kind of breathing problem, you will not make it through the night. Stop a little sooner, or drive a little farther, but do not stop here. All of our tablemates during breakfast were comparing the horrible moldy-smelling rooms. The air-freshener was so strong in our room, it alone would take your breath away. Lay on the bed and then you will smell all the mold permeating under the level of "Air-Wick." Carpet and linens feel damp and sticky from the mold and mildew. When you walk across the carpet, you need shoes on to keep your feet clean of the mold. We did complain to the management but was told it was the resident preceding us who put the Airwick there. Nonsense! It did not spread through five other rooms! Marriott needs to step up on this one and fix it or take their name off! Office staff is very nice but admit to the problem and stop making excuses.

Room Tip: I would try Residence Inn instead of this one. Never again!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn Florence? Share your experiences!