“...like eating in Florence, ITALY!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Gainesville, Virginia
“...like eating in Florence, ITALY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

What a great find in Florence, SC! Authentic Italian food all prepared by Chef Massimo, the friendly proprietor from Rome, Italy! Beautiful decor, clean, and located with plenty of parking in wonderfully revitalized area of old town Florence. Sara, our delightfully charming efficient waitress, patiently answered all our menu questions and affirmed our decision on the lasagna...delicious uniquely flavored meat sauce and homemade noodles! Caesar salad delicious: cold, crisp, and not overwhelmingly strong dressing! We were too full for Massimo's homemade deserts, but we were treated to his homemade Lemon-cello...WOW! Too good to describe! We will be back!

Visited April 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Great food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been coming to Florence monthly on business for a decade now, however living in Chicago I have never been impressed with the dining selections.
Da Massimo is one of a growing exceptions, where I found not only delicious food, but great service, despite hearing it would be slow in advance.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florence, South Carolina
“Wanna BE fine dining done on the CHEAP !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We, four adults and two kids, ate at DaMassimo's last night. It was a warm Saturday night, and they had about 30% of the tables with diners. So in other words, it was pretty dead as far as business goes.
After being seated, we waited 12 minutes before we were asked for a drink order. Then 15 painful minutes later we finally had our meal order taken. Another 15 minutes and our food arrived. Before our meal order was taken I noticed our waitress walking around with a pitcher of tea randomly splashing refills. So I really can't account for her tardiness. Also, this is the only restaraunt I've ever been in that had an apology for being slow written on the menu. That should have been a red flag.
The food arrives, I had Lasagna, my wife had the Penne alla Vodka, our friends had Veal Marsala and Salmon alla Massimo. My lasagna was un-naturally hot and was bland. The tomatoe sauce tasted canned(almost like Chef Boyardee). I'm guessing that my dish was microwaved. My wife ate about 1/3 of her dish and said she couldn't take anymore. I tried one of the penne's and it was an odd orange color and was overly salty. Our friend liked his veal but his wife said she was full about 1/2 way through her salmon. My 15 yr old son had Fettuccine Alfredo, he ate 1/2 and said it gave him a stomach ache. We also had the Bruschetta, which was very good. But how hard is it to make a Bruschetta? After they finally came and took the dishes away, I ordered a Tiramisu and my wife got a Cannoli. The tiramisu started out very good, but as I descened further into the dish it became watery and kind of nasty. Almost like it had been frozen and then thawed out. The cannoli was insanely hard and looked and tasted like it came from a box. It had an artificial processed flavor. All in all the food was not very good to average at best. I expected much more for my $100 tab (3 people).
The atmospere was not relaxing at all.The interior is sparse and cheaply done. Almost reminiscent of a Gordon Ramsey "Kitchen Nightmares" episode. I think the positive reviews here are from people who have never been to a really good Italian restaraunt before. Or maybe they are friends of the owner.
Honestly, I've had much better tasting food and MUCH better service at Olive Garden. At least you get much more value for the money.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DessertLady_11, Owner at Da Massimo Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
I have read your recent review and I really do not agree with your statements. I waited on your table and I let you know before you sat down that we were short staffed. You came in at the same time as another 6 top and a 10 top so waiting a few minutes was not out of the question. That happens in all restaurants you do not get service the second you sit down at a table. There is not an apology about being slow on the menu. The statement on the menu is for people who are in a RUSH to get in and out as we are not a FAST FOOD restaurant. All of our dishes are homemade made to order not from a can or frozen. If you were so unhappy with your food you should have said something upfront and not hide behind a review on tripadvisor. We ask you how your food is to correct the problem at the time not 4 days later. I also remember most of the food being gone off the plates when I was clearing the food. My Tiramisu is homemade and not frozen. The Cannoli is also homemade even the shells are homemade. It really disappoints me people who hide behind reviews on the internet instead of addressing the "problems" with their food in the beginning. Perhaps because there was no problem with your food in the first place. If there was most people tell the server as soon as it arrises. The reason why we have good reviews is because we have good food and people respect quality over quantity.
Manasquan, New Jersey
“Came back because it is soooo good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

This is our third stop in at this wonderfully delicious restaurant. Wrote my last review of Da Massimo in November 2012. Once again traveling between NJ and Florida. We enjoyed the Mushroom Ravioli in a light red sauce accented with fresh basil and the Crab with tomato in a light wine sauce. Both dinners were exceptional. Started with a very good Caesar salad along with a nice reasonably priced Montepulcino. Ended with a nice taste of orangecello. We will be back again. Thank you Jennifer and Max keep it up.

Visited March 2014
“Best Restaurant in Florence County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

By far the most authentic Italian restaurant west of Italy, Max is doing an outstanding job with he’s girl friend and family members. I recommend any meal on the menu, you will not be disappointed. Excellent knowledge of wine and food combinations in a relaxed environment.
Highly recommend it to anyone.

• Visited March 2014