“Not the greatest, nor the worst - Rated 3, but really 2 1/2” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Florence

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Florence to your Saves list
Motel 6 Florence
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1834 W. Lucas Street, I-95 at US 52, Exit #164, Florence, SC 29501   |
Ranked #33 of 38 hotels in Florence
Murdock
“Not the greatest, nor the worst - Rated 3, but really 2 1/2”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I didn't feel a rating of 2 was warranted, but nor was a 3, so I would say 2 1/2, but the TripAdvisor system only allows 2 or 3. In seeing others reviews, I probably didn't experience the troubles some did, but I would say I stayed at this motel about 11 months ago in Oct 2010. It was the typical cheap Motel 6, but from my memories of the last stay, think it certainly has gone down a bit. I saw some people hanging out at the hotel, but they seemed to mind their own business. The non-smoking room smelled a bit smoky and quite musty upon check in, but I know the musty part is a common problem for southern hotels. After running the heat & A/C for a while, it took care of that problem. The bathroom door barely closed and was badly warped. The staff was average, nothing bad, but not great either. They were nice about one thing though, since we stayed two nights and needed Wi-Fi for both nights, but also had two laptops, she only had me pay the $6 ($3/night) once, and gave me 4 codes so we could both use our laptops. I've staying in much worse, but also staying in better 1* hotel/motels as well.

Room Tip: Not really sure, last stay was up closer to the motel front, which was nicer, this stay was in the b...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here in March 2010 and again in August 2011 on our way to Georgia. The 2010 visit was fine--typical no-frills but clean Motel 6 room. This time was much worse. Our room was filthy. Smelled like smoke despite being marked non-smoking. There was hair all over the bathtub and walls; the bathroom looked like it had barely been cleaned. The bedspread and sheets were clean but had cigarette burns all over them, and the carpet was very dirty. I didn't feel unsafe here but the lack of cleanliness turned me off big time. Next time I will look for other lodging options in Florence. All we need is a clean place to spend the night along I-95; this Motel 6 needs big improvement in that department.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was moving my family to Florida and we stopped here. The front desk was very accomodating and got us 2 rooms next to each other. But the problem was there are many black men roaming the parking lot during the day. About ten minutes after parking the van and uhaul trailer in the drive way near the rooms. There were about 8 black men congergating behind the van & uhaul trailer "scoping out the vehicles". During the night about 25 more black men showed up and were loitering (drinking, smoking, and being loud) in the parking spaces in front of my two rooms. I asked the front desk manger to do something about these men hanging out on my rooms window sill, they were hitting the windows and they were sitting on the uhaul trailers fenders. I had to get the manger to escort my family to the van so we could leave. Since he could not do anything about the loiters. I was refunded for both rooms but had to leave at 1:00 AM with a frightened wife and three kids. Many of these black men appear to be living in this hotel. Also one of the room doors was very difficult to close and lock. Don't stay here I did not feel safe at all for my family or vehicles.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011 via mobile

Do not stay here unless you want your car broken into.

They broke into my car during the night and took my GPS, $30, a DVD player and a baby clothes I had bought for my cousins shower. I filed a police report and the cop said they have had a lot of break-ins here. They have been smashing in alot of windows too.

2 nights before I stayed here the cop said a dozen Walmart employees had $27,000 of computers and inventory equipment stollen when they stayed over night here Ina business trip.

PS they did not take my 100+ collection of DVDs because I have address lables on each DVD.

• Stayed June 2011
Albany, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

( Note: This review is nearly identical to my review of the Motel 6 in Fayetteville, NC. That's not a mistake. These two motels were nearly identical, except this one was worse. So there's a lot of copy/pasting here. )

Like many others, we stayed at this hotel overnight while traveling along I-95 because we needed someplace cheap that would accept pets. That seems to be the predominant demographic of people staying at this hotel. I-95 travelers looking for a one night stop-over, and partiers looking for a cheap place to party.

Check-in was easy enough, no trouble there, but the room was pretty run down, smelly, and the bathroom wasn't very clean. Like many hotels that accept pets, this one smelled musty. There were crumbs on the floor, hair in the towels, and mold in the bathroom.

In addition. There was garbage, beer cans and other debris in the parking lot. People coming and going (noisily) at all hours of the night.

I imagine that most of the cheap hotels along I-95 are like this, since it's a heavily traveled interstate and most people are just looking for a place to crash for a few hours of sleep before continuing on their way. It's a typical interstate exit "settlement" w/ a bunch of hotels, gas stations, and fast food joints nearby. In fact, this motel is hidden behind a McDonald's.

You get what you pay for to some extent, but next time I'll try someplace else.

===== ===== =====

RATING SCALE: My ratings are generally based on value vs money. Thus, sometimes a simple hotel will receive a 4 or 5, while a fancy hotel can rank a 1 or 2 if I don't feel it was worth the cost.

Also, a hotel can do everything right and still only rank as a 4, unless there's something really exceptional about it.

5 = Hotel gets everything right, and goes above and beyond.
4 = Hotel gets everything right.
3 = Hotel is acceptable value for money spent.
2 = Hotel isn't worth the money spent.
1 = Hotel should pay ME to stay there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010 via mobile

Whoa! I read the reviews and they should have discouraged me properly; however, I'm traveling with a cat and it's difficult to find pet friendly motels. Motel 6 is a trusty standby and I've stayed in a bunch. This one is DISGUSTING!!! There's food crumbs next to the nightstand, ashes in the floor and cigarette burn holes in the bed cover (nonsmoking room), 3 of 4 towels have wirey hair all over them...one even had a clump of about 6 8-inch long hairs in it, there's buggers on the wall in the bathroom, hair and dirt in the shower, and trash already in the trash can! The only reason I stayed is because my cat is hiding under the bed (hopefully hasn't been eaten by bed bugs or something), it's after 11 at night, and the sheets looked clean. There's even dirty people drinking beer outside in the parking lot. It even appears this room has been broken into before because there's prybar marks in the wood around the jam. Please take my advice as well as the advice of nearly every other review and DO NOT stay here!! Sleep in your car at a rest stop if you must, but don't stay here! You've been warned!!!

• Stayed September 2010
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

stopped on our way south, just for overnight., travelling with pets. Clean, comfortable, and basic. Front desk was very nice. did the job, for short money

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Florence? Share your experiences!