“Good for a four-hour nap.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Florence
USA
“Good for a four-hour nap.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We took a stopoff from driving on I-95 to catch a nap and let our co-travelers, my cats, rest. There were several hotels on this little stretch, and we tried them in order until we found one that allowed animals. The first that allowed animals was full, so they told us to try the hotel next door, which didn't allow pets. At a loss, we tried the Microtel, the end of the line of hotels. The lobby was nice, brightly lit, warm. The clerk was very friendly. She asked me if we wanted smoking or non, and I replied "non", but there weren't any non-smoking rooms left. So I don't know about that, but we took a room in the smoking section out of sheer exhaustion, despite myself being asthmatic. The customer after me was offered a non-smoking room.
After transporting cats and luggage up to the room, I began to lose my mind. The place stunk. Not of cigarettes, but general rotten stink. The heater blew out stenches and periods of cold air, so eventually we just shut it off (during winter!). There were burn holes and marks on everything, right through the fabric of the bedspread in a lot of places. The room was extremely tiny...micro, if you will. The window was nice, it had a foam seat cushion bench and triangle pillow on it. There was a rectangular hole in the wall that we had to cover because the cats kept trying to jump in it. The furniture was dirty and worn. My cats spent the night sitting at the room door because the inch-high bottom was enough for them to see out of (I would have put them in their travel kennels, because the floor was disgusting, but there wasn't space for breathing much less for kennels!). We were completely freaked out by the place, and although we checked in very late, we were out by 5am.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT STAY HERE.
I have pictures to prove it. Our room was not cleaned at all including the bed sheets.
The bed sheets were used and wrinkled, like someone else had slept there, Dog hairs all over the room and Rat paper at the bottom of the air conditoner filled with bugs and rat drippings. How can anything like that happen if you care. and thats just it These people just dont care. They refunded me and the Manager did not even come out to talk with me. I told the clerk I had pictures and she said the manger is going to go look but did not want to discuss it with me. So I guess he doesnt mind if I post these pictures about his hotel. I would guess not. It is no loss to him. He still gets his paycheck.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Left the Travel Inn and checked in here at 9pm. Rate was great ($49 + 6 tax) for 2 double NS, room was spotless, free hi speed wifi, absolutely silent, fridge and microwave. Nice shower. Super friendly staff. Simple continental breakfast.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

This is my second time to stay at this hotel location, within the course of one month - and it will be my last. The most offensive incident was the brown water. I checked in late, and I took a drink of water from the bathroom sink without turning a light on. When I went to take a second drink, I did turn the light on and saw that the water was running as brown as diarreah! Upon running the water for awhile, it did clear up. There had been no warning from the hotel or hotel staff as to there being a problem. I woke the next morning with an upset stomach and a scratchy throat.
The room is filthy. No one has bothered to vacuum the floors by the baseboards. The bathroom floor is filthy. The public areas floors: hallways, elevators are filthy. The breakfast is pitiful. It is pretty obvious that the owners/administrators have no pride in this property. I expect to never stay here again, and I will be contacting the Florence County Health Department.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

My fiance and I found this cheap hotel on our way to Myrtle Beach. We had visited family for a day and was splurging at the beach so we had to find a reasonable hotel. It had wifi, a clean bed and clean shower. The room was cute, it is micro after all. It was just the bathroom then the bed. A closet with the tv on top of it. We checked in around 11 am and it was quick. The room was right down the lobby. It was pretty quiet. I requested a non-smoking room and unlike other hotels/motels, sometimes you can still smell the smoke. Overall, it's nice for a quick and affordable hotel. It's right off the exit too and there's a whole bunch of restaurants around.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Temple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Driving from NH to FL I stopped in Florence for my halfway point. Check-in was slow. I received my room key, tried my door and it didn't work. After 3 tries I hear someone on the other side saying "Hello?". I find out from the desk clerk that the room should have been locked out of the system and that a housekeeper is staying there. I know times are tough but come on. I was moved to a room right off the lobby. It was a very tired room and you could hear every noise from the lobby. Decided to get up extra early and get on my way. Probably my first and last experience with Microtel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Chantilly, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Driving along 95 South on the way to Florida, Florence was the logical stop at 11pm. Called ahead to a couple of places that had rooms earlier in the evening, but they no longer had availability. Choices were limited because we were traveling with a small dog. Called Microtel and the desk clerk said they had a lot of 2 queen rooms left and pets were only $5. Parked right outside the front door and check in was quick. Requested a rollaway bed; the clerk went to the back and rolled it out to me to bring to my room along with some extra towels. Unfortunately, a sheet was missing. The room was small but felt clean. The reviews of a lot of other Florence motels talked about bugs. No bugs in sight, maybe because of the interior corridors. It was basic accommodations in a clean, safe room. Breakfast was nothing special, but like the room, served its purpose.

• Liked — Pet friendly and low rate
  • Disliked — Tight fit for family of 5
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Florence? Share your experiences!