“Great beer and food” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 229 Restaurants in Florence
Dining options: Late Night
Description: New Restaurant in Florence. Been open about a month. Florence's first microbrewery.
“Great beer and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Great beer selection. Great food, limited selection though, but uses local produce. I'd go back next time I am in Florence.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Charleston, South Carolina
“Amazing pizza and fresh salads!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Fun atmosphere inside, though the outside looks like a warehouse. The whole wheat crust pizza was really delicious (and I'm a pizza snob). The salad was also much better than a standard side salad - homemade dressing, fresh green, ripe tomatoes with lots of flavor. I'd definitely go back.

Visited September 2011
Manchester, New Hampshire
“New favorite place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I recently moved to Florence from Seattle, WA which, yes, is a bit of culture shock. But Seattle is a city that takes its microbrews very seriously. I was worried that I might be giving up really good beer for a constant rotation of Bud or Bud Light. This was a stupid worry--Florence does have a number of decent bars and restaurants. But Southern Hops is easily as good, even better, than the majority of places that I frequented in Seattle. The food is relatively limited in selection, but is absolutely delicious. Most of the produce is local and therefore, really fresh. I don't know what the reviewer complaining about the cost was talking about--$8-11 for a entree, $4-8 for appetizers, seems more than reasonable. I mean, yes, it costs more than fast food, but that seems pretty standard for casual dining and the quality of the food here is far better than that. They only had three of their house brews on tap when I was there, but they also offer a large number of draft and bottled beers from across the country. If you go during happy hour, then their house brews are only $2.50 a pint! Cool atmosphere too--I didn't go when there was live music, but it's a great venue with a large amount of seating. Finally, the service is awesome! The wait staff is very chatty (in a good, fun way) and make great recommendations. I can't recommend this place enough! It alone was worth the move to Florence!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“highlight of a trip to Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Face it, there's not much to do in Florence, SC. We were stuck there cleaning out my mother in law's house, and after a dusty day of tossing & cleaning we were drawn to the chilled libations of a local brewpub.
Southern Hops is a cool little find, with decent food and really nice beer. The pretzel appetizer is amazingly good. Pizza, sandwiches, etc. complement the truly nice beer ... which you need after a hard day of work, or even a day of sitting in a hammock. SH has a nice outdoor area that opened after we left the area. We wandered in to 2 other restaurants in Florence during our week's stay, but Southern Hops' atmosphere, music, friendly service, and beer brought us back on the other nights.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florence, South Carolina
“Save your $ and Time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

If you want to try the first micro-brewery in Florence, make sure you eat before you go. Their menu is typical pub food except it's grossly overpriced ($9.25 for a sandwich and a bag of chips!!!). When it finally did arrive (after 45 minutes) it was unedible. The pulled chicken smelled and tasted days old. I sent it back and ordered some wings. 45 minutes later we cancelled the order and left. The manager seemed indifferent to our concerns. The kid's pizza was pretty good and the beer was tasty but We left hungry with $22 less in our pocket (for a kid's pizza, one sandwich, one beer and two sodas). Now I know why the parking lot is always full; people are still waiting on their food.

• Visited February 2011