“Tourist trap - but a cool tourist trap” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Attractions in Dillon
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Landmarks
Augusta, Georgia
56 attraction reviews
“Tourist trap - but a cool tourist trap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you have never heard of South of the Border then you have not paid much attention to the billboards on I-95. The story goes that when the interstate was being built someone was able to convince the government to drop an exchange off here just below the South Carolina border - hence the name. This place has a Mexican theme. There is a sombrero that is about 30 stories tall that allows you a very good view of SOB (South of the Border abbreviation folks). It costs a dollar person for the elevator ride.
Over the years this place has added more hotel rooms, more shops and eateries. There is a mini golf range, a toilet place for pets, a giant fireworks store, a hat store, a leather store, and many other stores carrying South of the Border Souvenirs. Of course there are the many photo opportunities with the statues scattered about the place. You can even pose between the tall Pedro's legs.
The good thing is that the food is reasonably priced here as well. There is Pedro's diner with low prices. There is also Pedro's steakhouse where the prices go up. Personally I stick with the diner.
So if the kids are screaming and the family is tired, stop here for a short bit and collect a few photo memories or souvenirs.

Fairmont, WV
33 attraction reviews
“Big, colorful, fun place to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We loved all the colorful signs, painted animals, huge buildings, funny signs, etc. It's a fun place!

Philly
29 attraction reviews
“Come on...you gotta stop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

As you cruise the I95 corridor from the northeast US to Florida, one of the most anticipated moments is the first Pedro sign. Tongue in cheek, they're funny, they make you groan but they are designed to bring you in. We actually stopped to eat this time and explore just a little, after all you are just oh so close to Florida at this point.
It is exactly what I expected it to be, a kitchy piece of roadside Americana. If you're expectation is a glamorous resort with glass and mirrors, you will be sorely disappointed. Pedro doesn't go that way. That being said, there is gas, a mini market, mini golf, a small amusement area, several restaurants, and shopping and the motel. Friends have made this an overnight stop and had no complaints.
Could Pedro use a facelift, sure, I venture people don't stop like they used to years ago but I will say, it was clean, there was no litter around, I didn't see peeling paint.

Space Coast, FL
7 attraction reviews
“Finally stopped to eat there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have been stopping there for years, but only to take pics, get gas and use the restroom. Now that I'm the adult, we decided to eat lunch at Pedros Diner. It was an experience. The air conditioner was a giant antique that looked like it was used on Skylab! It was huge and kept us all freezing until we asked the waitress to turn it away and she moved everything around with the skill and precision of a surgeon! There's no getting around it... the place is old. Its kitschy. And we loved it! We had the cheeseburger and fries and it was really good. The waitresses kept no secrets from anyone, least of all the customers, and it was quite entertaining, No one got sick even though it really wasn't the, I don't know if this is the right word, cleanest place around. Or, maybe it was? Looking around outside, it does seem a little dicey, as there are some really unusual people around, and the close proximity of strip clubs. I don't know if we will ever stay there, but it was worth a couple hours of the day to look around, and of course, taking the requisite trip up the sombrero. It really is sad though, how it could really be a great attraction, but it seems like everything was closed except the stores, the diner, and the sombrero. And kitschy is our thing, but it really needs some tlc, and the strip clubs need to move to bring back the family atmosphere that ies so lacking, regardless of however many silly animal statues they have.

Visited May 2012
Pennsylvania
“Interesting, but needs serious attention!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I have been hearing about this place for years, finally I had the chance to drive by this weekend. I was very excited! Unfortunately I was also disappointed. This place is pretty run down and does not feel safe. And the restrooms are pretty gross. Most of the employees seem not happy to be there and I left feeling a little sad about it. Someone needs to give this place some serious love. It has so much potential, I wish I could have seen it in its better days