“Not Just another round of Golf” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Golf Courses
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This 18-hole Jack Nicklaus-designed signature course hugs the Atlantic coastline, providing magnificent views and challenging plays for golfers at all skill levels.
Hilton Head Island, SC
12 attraction reviews
“Not Just another round of Golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My brother and his daughter were visiting from NYC for the week, and he wanted to play three rounds of Golf and go for the first round of the RBC Heritage tournament during his stay. Having played at Melrose a few years ago with another visitor I thought it would make a nice day trip, including the boat ride, that his 12 year old daughter could participate in even though she does not play. While the total tab(water Taxi from Salty Fare+ golf=$123) is a bit more expensive than the typical round of golf on HHI these days, the entire experience is well worth it. The comfortable boat got is to the Daufauskie Island dock in about a half hour (half the time of the old ferry), where Tony from the Melrose club met us at the dock and drove us to the course in their very well used van. Once there they checked us in, gave us two carts so my neice could ride along with her dad in comfort, and showed us the practice area (driving range, chipping/sand area, putting green) told us to stay as long as we wanted and to tee off on 1 when we were ready, since there were only two groups out on the course and a twosome would start sometime behind us.
We played a very leisurely pace taking time to take in all the wildlife we observed and just enjoying the tranquility. By the time we got to the 9th hole the twosome playing behind us was finally in sight, and we decided to pull up to the front of the lagoon in front of the clubhouse (closed) and eat the lunch we packed letting them play through. They recommend you bring a cooler with you since they have very limited items for sale. We finished on those wonderful holes on the back nine with the 15th approaching the ocean, and the 16th - 18th running along the oceanfront, and overlooking the south end of HHI. Just fantastic. When you finish 18 look in the tops of the large pine trees and see the very large occupied eagles nest, as you drive back to the clubhouse. Tony took is back to the dock to meet the water taxi for our ride back to HHI. My brother thought it was the most relaxing round of golf he has ever played, quite a contrast from the NYC area, and his daughter was entertained the whole time by taking in the uniqueness of the Island, and its many animals along the way. If you were worried about the course condition due to the shaky situation regarding the overall resort, don't be, it was in great shape and Jack's design is a real challenge. In case you didn't figure it out I had a great time as well, and will be sure to bring my golf playing guests here again in the future.

Visited April 2012

louisiana
3 attraction reviews
“Golf the way it should be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Let me start by saying WOW..... This was my 3rd trip to Hilton Head and I have played most every course on the island. After doing some research I found Melrose and decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did. First off the greens fees for 75$ and the water taxi was 42$. Once the boat Docks the Pro Tony will pick you up in a Van and take you to the course about 2 miles away. Once there you check in to the Make ship pro shop(you feel like you have went back in time to the 60's). We played 18 holes saw 4 people and NEVER saw or heard a car or anything! Driving range was in good shape and the range balls looked less than a year old. As far as the course goes it was in GREAT condition when you take into account it just opened up in May of this year. Greens were slow but true and the fairways for very plush! Layout is one of the best in the area holes 15-18 are worth 130$ just for the golf!!!! Hole 18 reminds me of Pebble Beach for an 1/8 of the price! Guys if you get a chance to play this course please do so ASAP.. They are working on a 200K budget and I don't know if it will make it another year and I would want everyone to play golf the way it should be done! I'll post pics shortly

Visited October 2011
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Golf Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The course is spectacular for so many reasons. This is a golfing experience unlike any I've had before. You must take a ferry from HH to get to Daufuskie Island. Already it is an adventure. There are different outfits to pick from ranging from 20-60 minute rides. You get unique views of the area and we passed a school of dolphins on the way. There are no facilities at the course other than a make-shift pro shop, so you must pack your food, beers and water. There were two water fountains on the course, but I wouldn’t rely on them. As you step on Daufuskie, you feel as if you stepped back in time. It really represents the low country before all the people, hotels and roads showed up. We were met at the port by Tony, a pro at the course. The course sits on an abandoned resort. Add together the abandoned buildings, lack of people, Spanish moss and absolute silence and you’re left with quite an eerie setting. The course is long and mean. Each hole is different from the last. It is quite a challenge, but your score is just an afterthought at this place.

Visited August 2011
Michigan
“Tremendous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Still open. Take a ferry or private boat. Everything is shut down except the marina, restaurant, and golf course. The pro will pick you up but the clubhouse and pro shop are locked up. Great course.

Muskego, Wisconsin
26 attraction reviews
“Wonderful day trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

We took the ferry over from HHI (ferry departs close to back entrance of Hilton Head Plantation). It is about an hour ride which was pleasant on the way over as we could sit inside but the ride back was not that fun as it was way overcrowded so we didn't actually have a seat and got rained on outside. The Melrose Course is a very nicely constructed course and quite challenging. The last three holes are what you pay the big bucks for as they play along the ocean and are breathtaking. I'm glad I made the trip but would probably not do it again, maybe to play the Bloody Point course. I came one week too late as the prices go up starting in April. We paid $150/person which includes the ferry ride. I believe it is $125 in the off season but I'm not positive on that. I would definitely recommend this to a local Hiton Head resident or an out of town visitor. Be sure to chat up the bartender as he has been a resident of HHI and most recently Daufuskie Island for 30 years and has some stories to tell!