“Ewwww” 1 of 5 stars

“Ewwww”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't let
My Pet Rpck stay in this
crapola! I get key card to check out a double (1) person. The unit is in the second bldg (the clerk gave the impression it was the first bldg) soon as I step around the backside of the 1st total darkness I doubt if any of rooms had the individual door security lights on (I literally went into my marine corps infantry combat patrol mode , and that's been almost 42 years ago!)this place is definitely not safe!
When I finally made to the ( last rm on the corner!) I reach in to turn on the main light, Nothing! Then being the Former Marine I am i venture over to the nightstand lamp click nothing! Idid'nt even check the bath light area .the cigarette,moldy, B.O, stench drove me back! I gave the clerk the key back and he returned my license with hardly a pause. DO NOT STAY HERE! And oh yes it's been apprx 10 years since I stayed here and for a moderate priced hotel the red roof wasn't a bad deal! But now this place give me the creeps!

• Stayed July 2012

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I really don't expect much from budget accommodations except that they be cheap, clean, secure and functional. I have stayed here in the past, primarily for the inexpensive rate and its handy location for my visits to this part of Columbia. The front desk staff is always pleasant and accommodating. I have lived with the knowledge that getting an acceptable room is kind of a 50/50 proposition. Usually, when I check in, I get either an acceptable room or I have to ask to be moved to one. Issues usually revolve around cleanliness, stains, smells, security, plumbing, etc.
This time, when I pulled up to my room, there was a guy standing outside, playing with the door's weather strip. He walked away as I approached, and I found that about 22' of the weatherstrip had been cut. Other than that, the room appeared to be clean. I went to the office and asked for another room. The clerk said that the man at the first room was probably the maintenance man, but he didn't seem to be dressed for the job, he wasn't doing any "maintaining", and "probably the maintenance man" didn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
The second room was all that was available for my two night stay. There was no weatherstripping on the door, the deadbolt required manipulation to make it work, the privacy latch was broken an non-functional, the carpet was stained, the room had a musty smell, and the TV screen had some kind of smear on it. Believe it or not, I stayed - after checking the bed for cleanliness and assuring that the plumbing worked. Basically, there is nothing else in town as cheap, and all I wanted was a clean bed.
Upon returning the next evening, I found that there had been no housekeeping service.
On the plus side, the room was quiet. and dry, despite the lack of door weatherstripping.
I believe on my next visit to Columbia I'll spring for a few dollars more. This place has fallen below even my flexible standards and there doesn't seeem to be any hope of resurrection.

Room Tip: Go someplace else. Seriously.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Positive: The Red Roof Inn sign is very high and very well lit. The linens on the bumpy and uncomfortable bed were clean. Tiny soaps were provided.

The Reality: There weren't many guests when we arrived at midnight; okay so maybe it will be quiet and we will get a better room--wrong. We were on the interstate side so the noise was pretty loud; good thing the very old AC was noisy enough to mask the traffic noise. We checked in too late to bother with another motel so I thought for the price we could live with it.

The moldy smell permeated the entire room. We immediately went to the 24 hour WalMart to purchase a pricy room deodorizer. I sprayed every surface but the smell overwhelmed the deodorizer.

When I went to the bathroom there were roaches scurrying around my feet! Too bad I didn't buy bug spray while at WalMart. I saw the cause of the moldy smell, there were many signs of water damage on the walls of the bathroom. I was concerned about breathing this mold and kept the bathroom door shut hoping to keep the smell contained. That didn't work.

I pulled down the spread to get in bed only to see LARGER roaches on the pillow! Good thing I had a pillow in the car.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are noisy because of the proximity to the interstate. Also, rooms on the no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We have been looking for a "regular" place to stop on our trip south. With all the adds on TV, we decided to try a Red Roof Inn. The staff was friendly, and the room more than fit the bill. The price was very fair as well.

I would note our purpose is just a place for a good nights sleep. There are few amenities.

This may end up being the one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel about 1 year ago. At the time it was clean and quiet.
Now it was clean and "reality TV" in front of my door.
The room smelled musty, the bathroom was dirty. When I brought it up with the staff, I was told that "not all renovations are done yet". Dear Inn Owner, do not waste your money.
Unfortunately we were eyewitnesses to a robbery with an escape car parked in front of our room. I did not feel safe and could have possibly been in "the line of fire". DO NOT STAY THERE

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I had a room in my sister-in-laws name on 4/3/12; when she tried to check in for me to get the room the girl at the front desk tells her there is no rooms available till after 4pm. We road around the hotel parking lot and saw 3 different rooms open. When my sister-in-law went back to the front and told the girl that rooms were open she then told her those were for reservation only. So she told her she has a reservation she looked sucked her teeth and told her no she didnt. So if u ever in Columbia bypass this on 0085/ Columbia West Red Roof off I26.

Room Tip: I looked at both buildings adn the second building downstairs looked the cleanest.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I reserved a room online for 1-26-12. It looked ok online. When I arrived, guest were asking for towels for their room. I assumed they were there for a while, and just ran out of towels. When I arrived in my room I looked around. The desk chair was filthy, the smoke alarm was sitting on the desk, and the wires were hanging out of the wall. I bathroom was filthy, and I wouldn't bathe my dog in the bathtub. No towels, or toilet paper. I went to the front desk and received a refund ASAP! Definitely a place to rent by the hour!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
I apologize for your experience at our inn. It is our intention that every guest leave with the feeling that we have not only met but exceeded their expectations. From your comments I can see that we did not achieve this during your stay and along with refunding you for your stay I have spoken to my team about the areas where have opportunity to exceed our guests expectation and how we can achieve that goal by providing a clean room for a great price with all of our guests needs being met. I hope you will allow for us to have a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are looking for a place to stay in Columbia.

Matt Schwenker | General Manager

Been to Red Roof Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!