You added Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC to your Saves list
Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Acushnet, Massachusetts
“Loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel and very well located on the USC campus. Location is ideal and facility is very nice. The room I had was extremely loud though and traffic noise and a TRAIN WHISTLE was a problem all night long. If I was staying another night I would have had the AC unit on all night as this may have drowned out the outside noise.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found our location to be ideal and our hotel to be very nice. We are super excited about the NEW STAY with renovations coming to an end in just a few short weeks. Our hotel will be able to provide evening dining in our Bistro, cocktails at our bar, and a wonderful array of options for breakfast. I am very sorry that the train was a disturbance through the night. You are correct. We often suggest our guest to put the HVAC unit on auto fan or auto air so that it acts as a sound machine to buffer the city sounds. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to getting the chance to serve you again soon.

Warmest Regards,
Holly Penny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Let me start by saying I never complain and have never posted a review of a hotel before. We have stayed at many Courtyards over the year and this one definitely falls at bottom of the list.

First Hotel is under Renovations at current time. This was not a huge bother but things are definitely out of sort from what you would normally expect. I also expect Marriott to let me know this when I reserved the room.

Next our room was not up to standards. Filled out guest review cards were still in room from previous guest. The biggest problem was the shower. It was scalding or ice cold. There was no in between. We all had to take cold showers.

Third, our room was noisy. The AC unit when on sounded like a plane was landing. Out neighbor could be heard through the connecting door having a midnight jam session listening to music. The refrigerator also had a terrible whine to it when the compressor was kicked on. My biggest complaint though was the overall sound prodding of the room. We could hear people in the hall as if they were standing in our doorway. Our room was on the 6th floor and faced Assembly St so we heard the cars on the street below. I can live with a average street noise but we heard everything. I am no hotel designer but there has to be a way to fix this through thicker glass or other material. The drag racing motorcycles, the 4 emergency vehicle sirens, and the 5 train horns during our stay were a little much and they go on all night.

We went to the front desk to check out so I could let them know about problems. When I did so the clerk was friendly and asked detailed questions which he wrote down on a sheet labeled problems. The list was quite long already before ours were added. He then said as compensation he would give us extra Marriott points. I wasn't looking for a free room but a discount or free breakfasts would have gone along way from me being a unhappy guest.

Stayed July 2014
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you choosing our Courtyard for your accommodation needs; although I am very sorry that you found our property to be noisy and that renovation was an issue. I am happy to report that renovations are coming to an end and our finished product will be revealed in just a few short weeks. Please know that I will address the mechanical issues, such as the AC and refrigerator, with our engineering staff, and commit to showing you a great experience upon your next visit. I would love to address your issues personally and ensure that I take appropriate measures to restore your confidence in our hotel. I welcome your correspondence. You can reach me at (803)799-7800. Again, my team and I are very sorry. I wish you the best.

Kindest Regards, Holly Penny
Stratford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel. It is currently undergoing a renovation so when completed it will be better. The room we had was renovated. It was comfortable, clean and the beds and bedding were new. The bathroom was clean but still small and not really up to date.The staff were great and even though the hotel was in some state of reno turmoil with workers and painters doing their thing... it was an OK place to stay.
If you need to stay downtown this will serve your needs at an affordable price. But don`t expect the Ritz. Not much around this hotel to get a nice evening meal. You would need to drive or cab it.
Convenience is the theme of this hotel if going to University events.

Room Tip: In busy season get one overlooking the pool... ( rear of the hotel) as the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I look forward to sharing your wonderful feedback regarding our team. I am sorry that you did not experience our hotel at its best. I am pleased to inform you that the majority of the renovation is complete. We are all thrilled to be able to offer you a New Stay in just a few short weeks! I wish you safe and exciting travels. We hope to get the chance to serve you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Knoxville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

First of all, the staff is amazing, so sorry for the rating but the hotel needs some work. Location is 5 blocks away from the Vista. Free shuttle available from the hotel, so take advantage of this. The hotel is being renovated from the ground floor up, but for now is it not good. The lobby is now also the market and the breakfast area is in a meeting area on the 2nd floor. The breakfast was good and the service was great. The gym area is very nice, three treadmills and three ellipticals with televisions and water cooler, free weights, nautilus, thera ball, and mats.

The bathroom and room is roomy, but the bed was HARD HAS A ROCK. Our neighbors were very loud after 10 pm and sounded as though they were actually in our room. Seriously kept us awake a great deal of the night. The pool was green on the bottom in the deep end with limited chairs and really a dull courtyard. Normally, Courtyards have such a nice area to relax, so this was disappointing.

The manager apologized and we again, complement the staff.

Room Tip: No adjoining rooms unless you know your neighbor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit to our Courtyard at USC. My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share such positive comments about the service, location, complimentary shuttle and fitness center. I am happy to report that the majority of the renovation is completed and there should not be additional distractions during your next visit. During this renovation process, we are refinishing the base of the pool as well as pool deck. I am also excited to announce that we will have a much cozier lounge area around the pool to help you unwind and relax. Again, thank you for the feedback and I hope to get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Kindest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We reserved a room with double beds for June 20-22 for a religious convention which was guaranteed in an email. I spoke with the front desk attendant upon check in and she said on her screen double beds were not guaranteed. Despite her viewing my confirmation email she stated "there was nothing she could do." Housekeeping brought up a rollaway cot and the front desk attendant gave us a breakfast voucher for one day. I personally do not think this suffices as it was very inconveniencing to myself and my brother. A breakfast voucher does not assuage a mistake made by the hotel and subsequently not rectified. Additionally she asked condescendingly whether we called to check after our booking of the room since it was booked in February. As mentioned to her there was no need seeing as our confirmation email stated the double beds were guaranteed. This was poor customer service practice and I would hope that they will handle matters better in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you very much, Lydia, for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay. I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for a two queen room and only had a room with a King bed and pull out sleeper sofa. I am also sorry that we were unable to honor your request for a cot as we do not have rollaways/cots due to our king rooms offering a pull out sleeper sofa. We appreciate your feedback and do hope that upon your return to Columbia, we can be given the opportunity to serve you again. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I welcome your correspondence.

Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Oakland, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I recently opened a Marriott credit card to take advantage of the fact that we would be staying in the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia while visiting our son who will be a freshman at University of South Carolina in the fall.

I made reservations in May in anticipation of freshman orientation in June/July 2014 and received one free night from our credit card. I stayed three nights, while my son stayed two nights since he stayed in a dorm one night.

Our room was on an upper floor facing Assembly Street. Unfortunately, being on the 6th floor did not help with the road noise at night.

The hallways appeared to be being redone with the moldings off and stained carpets, but didn't see a sign in the lobby stating that a renovation was underway. Additionally, I noticed a cap from a pen that sat in the hallway all three days we were there. Evidence that vacuuming the hallways in not a priority.The staff was somewhat friendly, but less so than I anticipated.

Overall, the room was not worth the expense and I am reconsidering whether to stay at that particular Marriott again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.com. I am sorry you did not experience our hotel at its best. I am happy to report that the renovations will be completed by early fall. I am disappointed that your experience was not exceptional. We would definitely hope that you will give us another chance when coming back to Columbia to visit or bring your son. Please be sure to request a quieter room so that we can best accommodate you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

As a platinum Marriott traveler, I try to stay loyal to the brand, but I do enjoy changing it up on occasion within the Marriott family. Case in point, my recent Courtyard stays in Columbia. Location is very convenient and parking was easy and free. I was greeted warmly, thanked for my loyalty and upgraded to a suite. Again...very nice. The night was super quiet and everything in the room was clean and in good working order. The internet wireless signal was strong and I had no problems. Next morning, I was off to work quickly with no issues. I actually like this place better than the Marriott flagship a few blocks away. If you are looking for good value and a safe, quiet night. Consider the Courtyard Downtown by USC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor about our Courtyard by Marriott Downtown at USC. I am very glad that you found our location convenient and that the parking was complimentary and easy to access. I look forward to sharing your thoughtful comments with our entire team. We take great pride in the service we provide you and are delighted to hear such great comments. Thank you again for the review and thank you for being a Platinum Elite. We look forward to serving you again soon on your next trip to Columbia, SC!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC? Share your experiences!